Biking

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Gold member
Cool Biking

Where we live in NW Ohio, we have lots of "rails to trails" biking trails and metro parks are connected via these paths. It is an awesome set up. Where does one ride road bikes in/around The Villages?
Old 04-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Bosoxfan

I ride the roads in the villages while others are on the multi-modal paths.I don't know what kind of rider you are but I find the roads are more "open " to riding at your own speed.The paths have golf cars ,roller bladers,& walkers that tend to slow me down! Ther are also biking clubs for people of all levels from slow riders to those that average 20 mph.Here's a link to one of my rides in the villages:: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/80837560
Old 04-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Veteran member

We have rails to trails here also. The one I ride is called the Withlacoochee trail - twice a year there are biking events held, usually in March and October. The trailhead I go to is about 35 minutes from The Villages. Here is the website: http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/guide...with_state.htm
Old 04-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatzPajamas View Post
Where we live in NW Ohio, we have lots of "rails to trails" biking trails and metro parks are connected via these paths. It is an awesome set up. Where does one ride road bikes in/around The Villages?
Sure sounds like my area around Toledo!!
Old 04-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brostholder View Post
Sure sounds like my area around Toledo!!
Exactly Brostholder! We live a stones throw from Oak Openings MetroPark!
Old 04-25-2011, 08:02 AM
Sage

There is also the Cross Florida Greenway Bike Trail for Mountain Bikes that has access just North of Belleview.

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/guide...ike_trails.htm

And a paved trail in Belleview off of Baseline Road

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/guide...s/baseline.htm

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 04-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Exactly Brostholder! We live a stones throw from Oak Openings MetroPark!
my wife and I love sitting on the benches and watching the wind swaying the tree tops back and forth
Old 04-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Gold member

Brostholder-Last June a tornado went through our back yard and then through Oak Openings. The park lost over 50 acres of giant trees. There are large areas of the woods that look like pencil jars...trees are sheered off an look like sharpened pencils sticking up into the air! It is the same tornado that hit Lake High School and the town of Millbury (east of Toledo). It incredible to see the devastation. I'm thinking that Oak Openings frosted in the winter with snow will be the thing I miss most about NW Ohio. Won't miss the frigid cold and wind tho!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Brostholder-Last June a tornado went through our back yard and then through Oak Openings. The park lost over 50 acres of giant trees. There are large areas of the woods that look like pencil jars...trees are sheered off an look like sharpened pencils sticking up into the air! It is the same tornado that hit Lake High School and the town of Millbury (east of Toledo). It incredible to see the devastation. I'm thinking that Oak Openings frosted in the winter with snow will be the thing I miss most about NW Ohio. Won't miss the frigid cold and wind tho!
I drove thru the area on my way to work shortly after the tornado last june and couldn't believe the damage. We are still part timers since we are having a hard time selling our home in Maumee. Now that the weather is getting nicer here, it isn't so bad, but I don't think I can do one more cold, grey winter!! If we run into you in TV, the first beer is on me!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Gold member

Brostholder...thanks! make mine a Killians please
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.