Board Games / War Games / RPGs

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 02-04-2019, 11:09 AM

Default Board Games / War Games / RPGs

Hello all! After almost two years of living in TV I’m amazed I still haven’t found a board game group besides Backgammon (no offense) or Monopoly (you should be ashamed!)

(Not really. That's a horrible game).

Are there any RPG groups out there interested in taking on a new member? (I have cookies!)

If you stumbled onto this thread and don't know what a Role Playing Game is (Pathfinder, Dungeons & Dragons, Star Wars: Force and Destiny) I would be happy to introduce you. It is basically like reading a book, except you control a character in the book and, with your fellow players and the Game Master, you tell the story. Very easy to learn and super fun, if you like having fun. Zero cost to entry.

And how about War Gamers? I'm currently nuts about Dust:1947 and Monsterpocalypse but I'd be happy to learn any other system (except 40K as my wife would kill me). Again, if you haven't tried a war game I'd be happy to introduce you. They range from the very simple to rather complex but almost all involve moving tanks, giant robots, or other fighters around a terrain table lush with buildings, trees, and other scenery. Again, zero cost to entry as you can use my miniatures. Once you start collecting your own you'll be in the poor house and your significant other will hate you. But other than that, super fun! Oh, and if you like painting, you can spend more time painting your miniatures than actually playing the game (until you learn speed painting, but that's a whole other post)(and if you like painting but hate gaming, please paint my minis for me).

Finally, I have a personal library of hundreds of Euro and Ameritrash games in my collection (BoardGameGeek says I have 802 games but I can see that includes a LOT of expansions). Deck builders, LCGs, Real-time, Worker Placement, and Dice Chuckers are among my favorite genres. Happy to learn new titles or teach whatever I have on my shelves. (I still have Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 in the shrinkwrap... any takers?)

If some of the Rec Centers Open Game Days have any of this stuff already ongoing please let me know where and when and I'll be there! Otherwise I'll have to hit every one of them with my wife and our copy of Escape: Curse of the Temple, and hope her screaming will draw other players to our table. (Yes, she literally screams while playing. It's hilarious, except for the Monopoly players. They hate seeing other people having fun.) (j/k)

(No I'm not. Even the winner of Monopoly doesn't have fun.)

Did I mention I have cookies? Monopoly players get 2!

Old 02-04-2019, 12:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakandjak View Post
Hello all! After almost two years of living in TV I’m amazed I still haven’t found a board game group besides Backgammon (no offense) or Monopoly (you should be ashamed!)

(Not really. That's a horrible game).

Are there any RPG groups out there interested in taking on a new member? (I have cookies!)

If you stumbled onto this thread and don't know what a Role Playing Game is (Pathfinder, Dungeons & Dragons, Star Wars: Force and Destiny) I would be happy to introduce you. It is basically like reading a book, except you control a character in the book and, with your fellow players and the Game Master, you tell the story. Very easy to learn and super fun, if you like having fun. Zero cost to entry.

And how about War Gamers? I'm currently nuts about Dust:1947 and Monsterpocalypse but I'd be happy to learn any other system (except 40K as my wife would kill me). Again, if you haven't tried a war game I'd be happy to introduce you. They range from the very simple to rather complex but almost all involve moving tanks, giant robots, or other fighters around a terrain table lush with buildings, trees, and other scenery. Again, zero cost to entry as you can use my miniatures. Once you start collecting your own you'll be in the poor house and your significant other will hate you. But other than that, super fun! Oh, and if you like painting, you can spend more time painting your miniatures than actually playing the game (until you learn speed painting, but that's a whole other post)(and if you like painting but hate gaming, please paint my minis for me).

Finally, I have a personal library of hundreds of Euro and Ameritrash games in my collection (BoardGameGeek says I have 802 games but I can see that includes a LOT of expansions). Deck builders, LCGs, Real-time, Worker Placement, and Dice Chuckers are among my favorite genres. Happy to learn new titles or teach whatever I have on my shelves. (I still have Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 in the shrinkwrap... any takers?)

If some of the Rec Centers Open Game Days have any of this stuff already ongoing please let me know where and when and I'll be there! Otherwise I'll have to hit every one of them with my wife and our copy of Escape: Curse of the Temple, and hope her screaming will draw other players to our table. (Yes, she literally screams while playing. It's hilarious, except for the Monopoly players. They hate seeing other people having fun.) (j/k)

(No I'm not. Even the winner of Monopoly doesn't have fun.)

Did I mention I have cookies? Monopoly players get 2!

Your avatar picture looks like you are young enough to enjoy Slap Jack.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:41 AM

Sounds painful. I’m in!

Yep, I think we are on the younger end of the spectrum but board games are timeless!
Old 04-13-2019, 07:44 PM

I would be interested in RPG as I have played for nearly 30 yrs.

I have a friend that is moving here in about 6 months and he is interested also.
Do you belong to any local group that play ?
Old 04-14-2019, 07:27 AM

Hey Mark! We'd love to have you! We have a local "group" of four of us that play on a semi-regular basis down in Fenney. We are currently running a D&D 5e campaign...actually we are just starting it tomorrow so you could jump in with us anytime.

We have also played Invisible Sun and Star Wars: Force and Destiny if D&D doest scratch your itch. If any of that sounds interesting to you let me know and we'll plug you in!

Burt
Old 05-20-2019, 01:40 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Well this seems like the thread to ask this question.

Is there any interest in Warhammer 40k from Games Workshop?

I was recently contacted by Games Workshop to gauge my interest in carrying their products in my store. I'm open to it, but I'm not sure if there is any local interest? So if you or anyone you know happens to be interested in any game from Games Workshop, let me know. It would certainly fit in with my store, but I have to know that there is a customer base that wants it.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:12 PM

Thumbs up

My wife & I are both afficianados of board games and RPGs. We hosted a weekly game in our prior community for about 9 years, playing a bunch of different RPGs and campaigns, and about 4-5 board game days a year where we played Smallworld, Catan, Ticket to Ride, Seven Wonders, Shoot'en Ladders, Munchkin, etc.

I DM a number of games and am at the low end of the game-writing spectrum. I've been playing since a friend's cousin brought photocopies of Gary Gygax's hand written notes of 'a new version of Chainmail' for us to try out over Christmas Break in 1973.

I enjoy wargames, though my tastes run toward lighter rules any more and skirmish-level, but with the right crowd I could *possibly* be talked into playing War in the Pacific again.

We'd be interested in knowing what you've got going, and honestly I have Plans for gaming here.

I'm owner of the official Tunnels and Trolls group on Facebook, and you'll find me all over the gaming groups there and even on MeWe sometimes.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:32 PM

My original gaming post. It took us 8 years to get here, but we made it.

Gamers in TV?
Old 08-14-2019, 06:55 AM
Sage

I like board gaming, rpg’s, war games, etc. But it’s been quite a while and I’ve never been hard core at all. I actually have done more video gaming, but enjoy both.

Just thought I’d toss in my two cents. Kinda piqued my interest.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:41 AM

Hey, Polar Bear!

Casual players keep the games going. Not enough of us 'hardcore' types to fill a table.

Video games are a good filler for when there's no tabletop game, for me. Plus I can play games nobody else is interested in. But a group of players at a table are more creative than what a programmer can fit into software, and can give you a rundown on books and movies to enjoy.

Plus, I've never had software bring a pan of brownies to a game session.

Tags
game, fun, monopoly, painting, happy