Buffalo Bills/Buffalo Sabres

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James
Default Buffalo Bills/Buffalo Sabres

Is there a club for Western New Yorkers who meet to watch Buffalo Sabres and Buffalo Bills games?
Old 02-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Veteran member
Smile

Hi Swimdog! We went to Mcalls in Spanish Springs for the final game of the season (Bills and Jets) and had a great time! They feature the Bills games inside and have great wings and they also serve Beef on Weck (although it's not the same beef on weck that you and I know but at least they try!)

There is a Buffalo/Western NY Club that meets on a Saturday...I'm not sure which one. I have not been able to attend as yet but I think alot of them were at that game...typical Buffalonians...they all know how to party and have a good time!

Welcome to TOTV!
Old 02-26-2011, 08:04 PM
Veteran member
Default Buffalo Sabres/ Bills

Thank you, Ceejay. I'm not there yet. I visited last month and put $$$ down to build Iris in St. James. Our winter in WNY has been terrible. It goes on and on....snow, cold, snow.
New owner for Sabres who is WONDERFUL. He loves the sport and the team.
I'm looking forward to rooting for Buffalo teams from the Land of the Sun! Enjoy your warmth and sunshine.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:40 PM

I will be in TV from 4/1 to 4/14 and I will need to see the final run towards the NHL Hockey playoffs for the Buffalo Sabres. Does anyone know what bars might show hockey? I know, it's hard to picture ice hockey when it's 88 degrees out, but I will need my Sabres fix while I am away from Buffalo for 2 weeks!
Old 06-26-2011, 06:33 PM

Swimdawg, I am also from the land of Demler vs Cliff! We hope to be watching Bills games before the end of October as a permanent resident. I know they will be playoff bound once my wife and I leave the area. I just can't see myself becoming a Dolphins fan unless they bring back Shula!
Old 06-26-2011, 06:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsanborn View Post
Swimdawg, I am also from the land of Demler vs Cliff! We hope to be watching Bills games before the end of October as a permanent resident. I know they will be playoff bound once my wife and I leave the area. I just can't see myself becoming a Dolphins fan unless they bring back Shula!
Aha! Yes, Demler is history. Now I get your name...SANBORN. Cool!

Looking forward to rooting for Bills & Sabres......NEVER Dolphins! Isn't it a mortal sin to root for Dolphins if you're from our area????
Old 06-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

These nice people are speaking a language foreign to this Ohio girl.

What is weck?

Who are those other folks? Demler, Cliff, McCalls?

I think that Swimdawg is the best so I am glad she can go and speak her language with other Buffalos when she is home in Paradise.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
These nice people are speaking a language foreign to this Ohio girl.
What is weck?
Who are those other folks? Demler, Cliff, McCalls?

I think that Swimdawg is the best so I am glad she can go and speak her language with other Buffalos when she is home in Paradise.
I think we Western New Yorkers are going to have to give you non- Western New Yorkers lessons. We would like to bring all the wonderful things we have here in WNY to TV. Oh yes....we do have a LOT of positive attributes....but we hate the snow and the cold. And we are NOT "Buffalos".....at least I don't think we are????

Classes in Western New York to convene at St. James pool in the fall. Come one...come all.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimdawg View Post
NEVER Dolphins! Isn't it a mortal sin to root for Dolphins if you're from our area????
Yes...it is a MORTAL sin! and the same goes for the Patriots!

I have to be careful...there's TONS of Patriot fans here:
Old 06-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Sage

You are not Buffalos? Are you Stella Niagara Franciscans? They taught Sweetie. The rest of the Catholic kids in Columbus were taught by Joliet Franciscans and some Benedictines. Whoops...oh my, I meant Dominicans. Getting those two groups mixed up is a mortal sin.

Off the subject. Trying to appear wise.

Last edited by graciegirl; 06-27-2011 at 05:13 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Are you Stella Niagara Franciscans?
Since you know of Stella Niagara did you know during the War of 1812, on December 13, 1813, a large force of British soldiers landed at the site of Stella Niagara, marched to Lewiston and burned every building but one to the ground. Hustler’s Tavern was the only building left standing. It is said that the reason this building was left standing was due to the British officers remembering too many good times there sipping a “cocktail” - a drink that the owner Catherine Hustler is credited with inventing.

So we WNYorker's are not only famous for losing 4 straight Super Bowls but more importantly being the seat of the original "cocktail"! Something that has served all of us well especially after 4 Super Bowl loses..
Old 06-27-2011, 03:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Since you know of Stella Niagara did you know during the War of 1812, on December 13, 1813, a large force of British soldiers landed at the site of Stella Niagara, marched to Lewiston and burned every building but one to the ground. Hustler’s Tavern was the only building left standing. It is said that the reason this building was left standing was due to the British officers remembering too many good times there sipping a “cocktail” - a drink that the owner Catherine Hustler is credited with inventing.

So we WNYorker's are not only famous for losing 4 straight Super Bowls but more importantly being the seat of the original "cocktail"! Something that has served all of us well especially after 4 Super Bowl loses..
Oh....but the best is yet to come. Especially when we WNYorkers indoctrinate TVers with our FUN WNY spirit...cocktail or no cocktail!
YES!!!
Old 06-27-2011, 05:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimdawg View Post
Oh....but the best is yet to come. Especially when we WNYorkers indoctrinate TVers with our FUN WNY spirit...cocktail or no cocktail!
YES!!!
I think I need a cocktail right now to understand your new language. I really like you Western New Yorkers.

NO...just kidding about the cocktail... but I do need coffee. I read my computer before coffee. That ain't right.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:52 AM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=mrsanborn;365944]So we WNYorker's are not only famous for losing 4 straight Super Bowls but more importantly being the seat of the original "cocktail"! Something that has served all of us well especially after 4 Super Bowl loses..[/QUOTE]

Amen...but someday (I hope it's during my lifetime) we will be in Football and Hockey!

And Gracie, we are not Buffaloes, we are Buffalonians and we are speaking Buffalese.

You would really like a beef on weck (short for Kimmelweck). It's a kaiser roll made only in Buffalo and topped with coarse salt and caraway seeds. It MUST be eaten the same day it's made or the salt begins to melt. The roast beef is thinly sliced and piled HIGH. Then you spread a little (or a lot, depending on your taste) horseradish on the beef (the best kind comes from the Broadway Market), dip the top of your roll in gravy (au jus or brown, whatever's available) and prepare to FEAST!

Oh My God....I want a BEEF ON WECK NOW!
Old 06-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Veteran member

[quote=ceejay;365995]
Quote:
So we WNYorker's are not only famous for losing 4 straight Super Bowls but more importantly being the seat of the original "cocktail"! Something that has served all of us well especially after 4 Super Bowl loses..[/QUOTE]

Amen...but someday (I hope it's during my lifetime) we will be in Football and Hockey!

And Gracie, we are not Buffaloes, we are Buffalonians and we are speaking Buffalese.

You would really like a beef on weck (short for Kimmelweck). It's a kaiser roll made only in Buffalo and topped with coarse salt and caraway seeds. It MUST be eaten the same day it's made or the salt begins to melt. The roast beef is thinly sliced and piled HIGH. Then you spread a little (or a lot, depending on your taste) horseradish on the beef (the best kind comes from the Broadway Market), dip the top of your roll in gravy (au jus or brown, whatever's available) and prepare to FEAST!

Oh My God....I want a BEEF ON WECK NOW!
~~~~~~~```
I hate to hi-jack another thread.......but I'm just reading in the St. James thread:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today, 08:03 AM
graciegirl
Sage Join Date: Mar 2008
Originally Posted by billnterri
We closed on our house on Yankee Clipper run Thursday and arrived today to pick up our keys. We're camping out in the house tonight with an air bed, two camping chairs, and a TV with an antennae. We're picking up Fox and some spanish speaking stations. (I knew I should have paid more attention in my high school Spanish class.) It doesn't matter though. We couldn't be any happier or excited to be here and start making new friends.
Terri

Hey there you two. Sweetie and I grew up in Columbus; me in German Village and he in Bexley. Nice places. Columbus and TV.

We send wishes for happiness, health, prosperity and low golf scores.

We'll have ya over for some jonny marzetti as soon as we return!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So just WHAT is this jonny marzetti stuff? Any relation to beef on weck, Anchor Bar wings, Wegman's, Tim Horton's, Weber's mustard??? I think we WNYers have got our work cut out for us. Maybe we'll make Gracie an honorary member of our rather.....fun....... Western NY Club!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.