Gamers in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Question Gamers in TV?

Howdy all,

I'm checking out TV as a place to move to over the next couple of weeks (till Aug. 17th).

I see there are a number of board game events listed in the rec calendar. I enjoy board games a lot, but I also enjoy playing war games (particularly with miniatures) and role-playing games. I expect there are more likely things that would be happening outside the recreation calendar.

Can anyone point me toward anyone who shares these interests locally?

If you want to know anything else, games I play or whatever, feel free to ask.

Thanks!

Mark
Old 08-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Gold member

Mark, I have played board and computer war games. About 3years ago I put a blurb in the recreation news and got no responses. I can't believe there is apparently so little interest.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 08-02-2011, 10:09 PM

That surprises me, too.

I've been playing wargames with little cardboard squares and little metal miniatures since well before I built my first computer. I still like naval miniatures, and SF and fantasy games. Pretty much any rules are good by me, the company matters more than whose rules we play by (though I tend to favor fast-play rules over the really crunchy rules any more.)

My wife and I are planning to go to the boardgame and cards meeting tomorrow night in the Buena Vista rec center (at 6 or 6:30 as I recall.)

I'm hoping to dig up the "geek" underground here in TV.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Bosoxfan

Role playing? I'm pretty sure those games are happening.but behind closed doors!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
Role playing? I'm pretty sure those games are happening.but behind closed doors!
That's what I figured, But I thought it was worth asking. If anyone's got a game where they wouldn't mind a "guest" character while I'm here, or a friendly kibitzer, I'm interested.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Gold member

I'm not at home now but there is a guy in TV that collects war-games of the board variety. Since I'm not at home I don't have his name handy. When I saw this article in the Daily Sun I called him. Apparently he is a collector and not a player. Personally I never got into miniatures or fantasy role playing.

John

Old 08-04-2011, 10:51 PM

Thanks, John.

Being a collector but not a player is something I hadn't heard of. I know of "hoarders" that like having every game of a genre or for a particular historical period that interests them. For example Napoleonics or Civil War. But they always played, too. Often they like reading and comparing different games, and sometimes splicing rules between different games.

For myself, I've got miniature navies in two different scales for WWI-WWII period, a large set of high fantasy minis (orc & elf armies, that sort of thing), some Bronze Age "ancients", and some science fiction armor and spaceships. I've played a wide range of miniature rules sets, as well as games created for counters (little cardboard pieces that come with the game rules) adapted for minis. Rules I've played with recently include Perilous Encounters (one of the earliest "quick play" rule sets), Hordes of the Things (aka HOTT), Micro Ancients, OGRE/GEV, etc. I'll play about anything.

For RPGs I'll play almost anything if someone else is running the game, I run games of Paizo Pathfinder, Traveller, and the original D&D rules from pre-1978. My family and I were playtesters for the current version of Traveller in stores, and I've just started playtesting another new version of that game.

Since I got started in these games by guys older than me, and since it's the sort of hobby you can't wait to retire with so you _finally_ have time to, e.g., paint that set of Boxer Rebellion minis you bought a decade ago and play games with them, it seemed logical to look for some gamers here.

Anyway, still looking. I much prefer face to face games over online, though that may be where a lot of people are now.

Last edited by saundby; 08-04-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:19 PM

I am very happy to see that there are others in TV that are into board games.

I attend a Gamefest every year with my friends in Arizona where we all get together for fun times and games of D&D, Warcraft, and many other games.

I will look forward to meeting up with you all in the future,
Old 10-26-2011, 09:51 AM

By any chance do you play D & D? Feel free to pm.

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:09 AM
Default gaming

ooops...should have read all of the posts
Just wanted to see if anyone has started any gaming since these last posts.

Thanks again!
Old 11-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Default long time war and role play gamer

Hello folks: though I'm not yet at TV, when I finally arrive I intend to let my full geek out and get involved in gaming on a regular basis. One of those things that I always enjoyed and want to do a lot of when I retire.

Swampy, the wannabe FROG
Old 11-03-2011, 06:40 PM

Swampy, I am already here. When you get here, please contact me and we will see about getting some gaming sessions set up.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:16 PM

I will be coming to TV on the 25th. I'm very interested in the gaming club if we can get it going. I miss the days when I use to work for Avalon Hill and TSR Hobbies. Haven't played any since the 70's.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazorn View Post
I will be coming to TV on the 25th. I'm very interested in the gaming club if we can get it going. I miss the days when I use to work for Avalon Hill and TSR Hobbies. Haven't played any since the 70's.
Hi, I am back in the Villages. Are you still interested in gaming? I play Pathfinder and D&D 3.5 and 4.0 editions with my friends up north. Any one else interested?
Old 10-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazorn View Post
I was a playtester for both Avalon Hill and S&T.

John

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.