Guitar clubs?

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2013, 02:22 PM
Default Guitar clubs?

I haven't moved to TV yet, but plan to this spring or early summer. I'm pretty sure you have an acoustic club and maybe even an acoustic beginner club, but is there also an electric guitar club? If so does anybody know anything about it or any of the guitar clubs that they wouldn't mind sharing?
Thanks,
Greg
Old 03-21-2013, 03:17 PM
Location: Little Rock AR - San Diego CA - Memphis TN - Ft Myers FL - Macon GA, Roswell GA - TV St Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampy51 View Post
I haven't moved to TV yet, but plan to this spring or early summer. I'm pretty sure you have an acoustic club and maybe even an acoustic beginner club, but is there also an electric guitar club? If so does anybody know anything about it or any of the guitar clubs that they wouldn't mind sharing?
Thanks,
Greg
There are quite a few guitar clubs in TV. If you look in the back section of the recreation guide each week you can find them all.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Sage

Just bumping this thread. I'll also be moving to TV later and tinker with both an acoustic and an electric guitar. I'd be interested in groups/clubs also.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I go to the Acoustic Guitar Club at Paradise on Thursday mornings at 10:00. It is basically a play around. When your turn comes you can pick a song out of a book to introduce something new. The players run from beginners to a few very advanced players. It's mostly three chord songs with a few more advanced things thrown in.
On Tuesday mornings at 9:00 at the Churchill Center I go to the Advanced Acoustic Guitar Club run by Gary Davis. Gary is an excellent instructor and has a subject each week where he attempts to teach us something new for about the first 15-30 minutes. After that it is a similar play around with much more advance chords. Gary always says that it's a club for guitarists that want to learn to use more then three chords. The members say that the philosophy is never use one chord when you can play six.
I also run the Beatlemaniacs of the Villages which meets on Friday mornings at 10:00 at the O'Dell Center. While technically we are not just a guitar club the second hour of our meeting is spent playing and singing Beatles songs. We have acoustic, electric, bass guitars as well as drums and pianos. If you like the Beatles you'll love this club. If you don't like the Beatles you should come and learn how great they were.
There are a several other guitar clubs that have a theme such as folk music, bluegrass and country. I've gone to some of those and drop in occasionally, but the Acoustic, Advanced Acoustic and Beatlemaniacs are the three that I go to regularly.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:03 AM

I'd like to find something where we play rock music instead of the old "country" songs that most of these groups play. Anything like that available?
Old 04-17-2013, 06:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Here is the list of Clubs.

http://www.districtgov.org/images/ClubsListing.pdf
Old 04-25-2013, 06:09 PM

To: donb9006,
sent you a PM. my husband plays acoustic guitar, wants to meet up with others who just want to play some classic rock.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:41 PM
Sage

I won't be moving to TV until some time this summer, but I'd like you "classic rockers" to keep me in mind if your looking for more at that time. Fair warning though...I'm little more than an advanced beginner. But I'm eager to get better. :^)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-25-2013, 09:01 PM
Eternal Member

Don't get lost in the past....[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o90VsOopAws]Atoms for Peace [Thom + Nigel] at Le Poisson Rouge - Default - YouTube[/ame] . Ignore the ad.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter S. Thompson
Old 04-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Eternal Member

BTW - one of my fav Thom songs:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naCAdshYVTA][HD] Radiohead - Jigsaw Falling Into Place (Live @ Saitama Super Arena - Oct 5, 08 - Tokyo, Japan) - YouTube[/ame]

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter S. Thompson
Old 04-25-2013, 09:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donb9006 View Post
I'd like to find something where we play rock music instead of the old "country" songs that most of these groups play. Anything like that available?
This morning at the Acoustic Guitar Club I did Rock This Town by the Stray Cats and Twenty Flight Rock by Eddie Cochran. People do Elvis, Ricky Nelson and a few other rock n roll songs. True many of the clubs seem to be very heavily country biased, but you can find places to play whatever you want.

Go to these clubs and you'll meet people with similar interests. You can then get together with them or form your own club.

I had a friend try to start a rock and roll club and it didn't get anywhere. This was partly because his wife became ill and he really couldn't dedicate the time to it.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:50 AM
Default Guitar players/ classic rock

Hi,
Saw your post about playing classic rock. I have been playing again for about a year and taking some lessons. PLayed in another lifetime when I was in high school. I would love to hook up with like minded guitar players. I have a couple electric acoustic guitars that I am playing and would love to get together. Planning on being there in August of 2014. Best regards,
Ron
Quote:
Originally Posted by california dreamer View Post
To: donb9006,
sent you a PM. my husband plays acoustic guitar, wants to meet up with others who just want to play some classic rock.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.