ARRL Clubs - THE VILLAGES AMATEUR RADIO CLUB

K4VRC The Villages Amateur Radio Club : resource detail
Old 10-12-2016, 10:07 PM
Platinum member
Smile Ham radio

Your alternatives for a fixed antenna are basically two:

1. A disguised outdoor Flagpole antenna, or
2. A hidden antenna in the attic.

As you explore the web sites linked above you will find diagrams for installing hidden indoor antennas in the attics for many of the models of homes built in The Villages.

Personally, I have chosen, with a good deal of success, to erect a temporary antenna at ground level for the brief periods that I am actually operating my ham radio. I use the Buddipole HF antenna. In order to make it efficient I have had to spend the money for a good quality antenna tuner. I mean a real tuner that I use to adjust the antenna to the resonant frequency, not a "tuner" that simply fools the radio into believing that the antenna is properly matched.

There are other alternatives, but I have had very good success with the Buddipole.

Here's the interesting part. I read in a forum somewhere that buried somewhere in the covenants is a rule against transmitting radio signals on the ham radio frequencies from anywhere in The Villages. I don't know that this could actually be enforced, but most hams that I know of make an effort to keep their operations secret, even from their neighbors. If spotted putting down radials for your Flagpole antenna, claim that the radials are "lightning protection."

Actually, I have come to doubt that claim based upon the fact that The Villages Amateur Radio Club is being permitted to operate publicly at Lake Sumter Landing in November. "TVARC Radio on the Square 2016" will be held on Saturday, November 26, 2016, from 9 am to 3 pm, at Lake Sumter Landing Market Square. Event Chair is George Briggs (K2DM).

You will probably get a lot of help if you attend a club meeting of The Villages Radio Club. Dates, time and location can be found on the club web site.

Carl W4EIB

Last edited by Carl in Tampa; 10-13-2016 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Do ham radios still interfere with nearby OTA televisions? Is that why they are prohibited in TV. Just curious.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:15 PM
Platinum member
Post The Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Do ham radios still interfere with nearby OTA televisions? Is that why they are prohibited in TV. Just curious.
This simple question does not have a simple answer.

However, the short answer is that ham radio transmissions have the potential for disturbing TV reception both over the air and by cable.

Part of the complexity of the issue is that cable companies are allowed to utilize certain radio frequencies through their cables that are in the licensed ham radio bands. It is assumed that cables in good condition prevent ham radio emissions from entering the cables. However, not all cable company equipment is in good condition.

The basic Federal Communications Commission (FCC) law provides that if a licensed ham radio transmitter is being operated legally and complies with FCC emission standards, and the signal interferes with reception of signals in a home entertainment device the owner of the home device is responsible for remedying the problem. Put simply, the law provides that the manufacturers of radios, TVs, VCRs, etc. are supposed to design their devices to be immune from interference from ham radio transmissions. If they are not, the purchaser must correct the problem.

In the case of interference with cable TV, the cable company is supposed to be sure their equipment is immune.

The FCC, and the American Radio Relay League (ARRL) both encourage ham radio operators to work with their neighbors to correct interference problems where they exist. There is an assumption that the ham knows more than the average person about utilization of chokes, filters, and other devices that might be installed on the home entertainment devices to correct the problem.

Ham radio operators want to be good neighbors.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:40 PM

is there a phone number for any clubs, my neighbor has new equipment she would like to sell--still in boxes Anne Barlane you can call her at 305 510 9190

Tags
ham, radio, restrictions, club, area

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.