Local American Legion Post 347 denies access to VETERAN!

Closed Thread
Old 08-23-2021, 03:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
You can complain about rudeness. You can disagree with a policy. But the title of this thread is not about either. It is about "denying access". It sounds like the gatekeeper did their job by denying access to the OP. One thing I like about the military is that, unlike many others, they are usually very good at following and enforcing their own rules. Suppose the gatekeeper had allowed access to a non-member who spread the COVID virus inside the Post? That would defeat the purpose of the policy established by the Post, and the gatekeeper's function.
I think the issue was less what he did, and more how he did it. (the gatekeeper)
Old 08-23-2021, 04:24 PM

I am a member of 347. I don't agree with the policy there, but it is their decision. Live with it or go back up north.
Old 08-23-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonSense View Post
I know posting this is not the smartest thing to do, but I felt I had to say something about being denied access to the local American Legion Post 347 because of COVID-19 because I am not a member of their Post.

My wife and I just finished dinner at the Orange Blossom Hills Golf & Country Club and decided to stop at Post 347 for a drink on our way home in the Village of Hawkins.

I handed my membership card from American Legion Post 342 in St. Charles, IL, where I was a past commander and have been a member of this Post for over 40 years.

I was informed that because I was not a member of Post 347, I could not enter. The gatekeeper pointed to a posted sign stating only Post 347 members can enter because of COVID!

COVID has been around for 18 months, and this is their excuse to refuse my wife and me access to an organization I have spent over four decades as an active member.

Prior to today (8/21/21 at 1600 hours), we stopped two weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon only to leave because they were packed with BINGO players. At that time, I did not see anyone wearing a mask during BINGO or anyone wearing a mask this afternoon.

Post 347 blatantly refused access to my wife and I, both members of this national organization, and quite honestly, I am "****ed off"!

The Villages is supposed to be the friendliest community in Florida, but just outside The Villages in Lady Lake is the largest American Legion Post in the United States. They refused to allow me to enter!

OK, so maybe I am a nobody, but I am an Air Force veteran of 35 years, proud to serve my country and honored to be a member of the American Legion for forty-two years. Served in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War and currently undergoing cancer treatment at the VA for Agent Orange. Very active as a Veterans Advocate and presently working on a YouTube project entitled "Saluting American Veterans."

It was bad enough coming home from SEA and being spit at and rejected, but to deny a veteran who is an American Legion member access to their Post because of COVID is simply WRONG.

We moved here two months ago and recently started searching for opportunities to volunteer. One such organization is the Village Honor Flight, and they asked me to get involved. I intend to, but it seems this organization is tied to the American Legion Post 347, so I am having second thoughts!

Also, before we moved to The Villages, I heard a similar story about a member from another Post being denied entry and that bothered me!

The first time I went to Post 347 in June, I was welcomed and told that story was a misunderstanding.

Well, I hope this is a misunderstanding because today, more than ever, veterans need each other. And please, do not use COVID as an excuse because both my wife and I are vaccinated, and if you wanted us to wear masks, we would.

Please reconsider this stupid policy! Don't shut your doors to those entitled to the privileges of membership with the American Legion. Last I knew…an American Legion member, regardless of what posts they belong to, is entitled to access other posts worldwide.

Guess the rules are different in the friendliest community in Florida!

If I am wrong, I will apologize and retract this post; We were brothers and sisters when we served, so what changed?

Fred J. Rosenthal
MSgt. USAF (Retired)
5524 Brittany Terrace
The Villages, FL 32163
630-926-3109
therosenthalgroup@sbcglobal.net
Fred: sorry for you experience. Please volunteer with Villages Honor Flight. We need men like you.
Old 08-23-2021, 05:39 PM

Try post 18 in Wildwood
Old 08-23-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948JDG View Post
Why not become a member of the VFW? I see you were in SEA, so that would qualify you.
I am a member of the VFW!
Old 08-23-2021, 06:04 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
You can complain about rudeness. You can disagree with a policy. But the title of this thread is not about either. It is about "denying access". It sounds like the gatekeeper did their job by denying access to the OP. One thing I like about the military is that, unlike many others, they are usually very good at following and enforcing their own rules. Suppose the gatekeeper had allowed access to a non-member who spread the COVID virus inside the Post? That would defeat the purpose of the policy established by the Post, and the gatekeeper's function.
The whole policy is rather silly, one day you can’t enter because you will spread covid, join and pay your dues and the next day there are no more covid fears. You are determined to be safe, enter.
Old 08-23-2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 024engine View Post
I am a member of 347. I don't agree with the policy there, but it is their decision. Live with it or go back up north.
Your last sentence was uncalled for! Go back north! I have a right, just like you, to live where I want. Don't give me this crap about going back north! I am an American veteran and I can live where I want, including next door to you! This is what is wrong with this country, too many me, myself, and I idiots! If a person cannot express their views and opinions, what kind of a nation do we have?
Old 08-23-2021, 06:21 PM

I cannot believe how uncivilized this discussion has gotten. I admit, it is hard for me to let things go, but some of you are down-right nasty and hateful! Life is too short to get all worked up about being denied access to an American Legion Post. If you missed my point, so be it! Let's just "chill-out" and be thankful most of us live in The Villages and not having to worry about getting out of Kobal.
Old 08-23-2021, 06:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

I’m always suspect of anyone’s full story when they bring up being spit
on , passed through a lot of airports while doing multiple tours with the 101st Airborne and Vietnamese Airborne units and many more years as a civilian all told almost 11 years in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia never once did I encounter or know anyone I know see someone being spit on, there was a book out many years ago about some of the these anecdotal stories about the war being false , did it happen maybe so ,did it happen to so many most likely not , I don’t go to service clubs I do belong to the National organizations because they do good work , but I hear enough bull just being with in ear shot of lots of Patriots here in villages and to be honest many other places but it seems to me if you were military for so long you know rules are rules
Old 08-23-2021, 06:27 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
I cannot believe how uncivilized this discussion has gotten. I admit, it is hard for me to let things go, but some of you are down-right nasty and hateful! Life is too short to get all worked up about being denied access to an American Legion Post. If you missed my point, so be it! Let's just "chill-out" and be thankful most of us live in The Villages and not having to worry about getting out of Kobal.
In reading this thread, it is apparent to me that there are a number of posters making comments who could have easily been the gatekeeper. Please ignore the rude ones and here's hoping you, like us when we get there for good, will only associate with nice and decent people.
Old 08-23-2021, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I know posting this is not the smartest thing to do, but I felt I had to say something about being denied access to the local American Legion Post 347 because of COVID-19 because I am not a member of their Post.

My wife and I just finished dinner at the Orange Blossom Hills Golf & Country Club and decided to stop at Post 347 for a drink on our way home in the Village of Hawkins.

I handed my membership card from American Legion Post 342 in St. Charles, IL, where I was a past commander and have been a member of this Post for over 40 years.

I was informed that because I was not a member of Post 347, I could not enter. The gatekeeper pointed to a posted sign stating only Post 347 members can enter because of COVID!

COVID has been around for 18 months, and this is their excuse to refuse my wife and me access to an organization I have spent over four decades as an active member.

Prior to today (8/21/21 at 1600 hours), we stopped two weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon only to leave because they were packed with BINGO players. At that time, I did not see anyone wearing a mask during BINGO or anyone wearing a mask this afternoon.

Post 347 blatantly refused access to my wife and I, both members of this national organization, and quite honestly, I am "****ed off"!

The Villages is supposed to be the friendliest community in Florida, but just outside The Villages in Lady Lake is the largest American Legion Post in the United States. They refused to allow me to enter!

OK, so maybe I am a nobody, but I am an Air Force veteran of 35 years, proud to serve my country and honored to be a member of the American Legion for forty-two years. Served in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War and currently undergoing cancer treatment at the VA for Agent Orange. Very active as a Veterans Advocate and presently working on a YouTube project entitled "Saluting American Veterans."

It was bad enough coming home from SEA and being spit at and rejected, but to deny a veteran who is an American Legion member access to their Post because of COVID is simply WRONG.

We moved here two months ago and recently started searching for opportunities to volunteer. One such organization is the Village Honor Flight, and they asked me to get involved. I intend to, but it seems this organization is tied to the American Legion Post 347, so I am having second thoughts!

Also, before we moved to The Villages, I heard a similar story about a member from another Post being denied entry and that bothered me!

The first time I went to Post 347 in June, I was welcomed and told that story was a misunderstanding.

Well, I hope this is a misunderstanding because today, more than ever, veterans need each other. And please, do not use COVID as an excuse because both my wife and I are vaccinated, and if you wanted us to wear masks, we would.

Please reconsider this stupid policy! Don't shut your doors to those entitled to the privileges of membership with the American Legion. Last I knew…an American Legion member, regardless of what posts they belong to, is entitled to access other posts worldwide.

Guess the rules are different in the friendliest community in Florida!

If I am wrong, I will apologize and retract this post; We were brothers and sisters when we served, so what changed?

Fred J. Rosenthal
MSgt. USAF (Retired)
5524 Brittany Terrace
The Villages, FL 32163
630-926-3109
therosenthalgroup@sbcglobal.net
Unfortunately at this time 347 is closed to all but those who are members of the post. The executive staff made that determination to keep our members safe. Masks are only required for those unvaccinated members and that is on the honor system. I feel your pain but the answer to that is transfer your membership, a simple process as I’m sure you are aware, and be able to enjoy all we have to offer.
Old 08-23-2021, 06:52 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankygrl View Post
Unfortunately at this time 347 is closed to all but those who are members of the post. The executive staff made that determination to keep our members safe. Masks are only required for those unvaccinated members and that is on the honor system. I feel your pain but the answer to that is transfer your membership, a simple process as I’m sure you are aware, and be able to enjoy all we have to offer.

Question is, only nonmembers can carry covid? Where is the safety in this arrangement?
Old 08-23-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Your statement: Please reconsider this stupid policy! Don't shut your doors to those entitled to the privileges of membership with the American Legion.

Mr. Helpful...I think you missed my point, but that is ok! Everyone is entitled to make a mistake in their life. The problem arises when a person is so closed-minded that they fail to understand the message. To be clear, any American Legion member in good-standings who visits a different Post is entitled to be treated with respect, including the opportunity to participate in activities and privileges afforded other members of the Post. This means, as a guest, they are veterans granted the same privileges and benefits that all American Legion members receive as a member in good standings. There is no need to play semantic games, but time to respect those who are members of the American Legion...In other words, be thankful to a veteran you can still express your opinion!
Old 08-24-2021, 07:53 AM
TOTV Moderator

OP has communicated with the Post Commander. There's no point in keeping this going. Thread Closed.

Moderator.
Closed Thread

Tags
post, american, legion, member, access

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.