Local American Legion Post 347 denies access to VETERAN!

Closed Thread
Old 08-23-2021, 07:11 AM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

I don’t blame you for not returning after the way they treated you
Old 08-23-2021, 07:12 AM

See the notice from the Commander at their website:
Veterans Memorial Post 347

It seems to be a temporary restriction, and they plan to make post accessible to all, including guests, when it is safer.
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
--------------------------------------------
Old 08-23-2021, 07:24 AM

Just maybe they kept you from getting a deadly illness. Thank them.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:28 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Has nothing to do with: "friendliest community in Florida".

Appears to be a temporary policy to help protect their members.

Good thing it was only for: "a drink on our way home".
Old 08-23-2021, 07:44 AM

Post 219 in Fruitland Park right off 466A is open to everyone and a very friendly Legion. We are members of 347 and have friends visiting so we couldn’t bring them to 347 either even when they are members of their Post back home.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:52 AM

Thank you for your service. To think a veteran who served our country was denied entry has infuriated me. This is just utterly disrespectful and I am sorry who were subjected to such thoughtless behavior.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Maybe the whole reason that they don't require masks, is BECAUSE they only allow the local members in. Contract tracing is much easier to do if you are able to identify each person who enters and leave the facility, because they are ALL members of THAT facility.
My thoughts as well.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltarzac725 View Post
veterans memorial post 347

they have restrictions for who enters on their new website. It is due to covid 19 and they are not allowing any guests just members of their post and their spouse or continuing companion.
thank you for a great post... End of story . We are on different times, and all trying our best.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:20 AM
Default Membership

Look up the ByLaws for the AL I think it states if your a member of one post you are a welcome to use any post.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:45 AM

I am not trying to show disrespect for the American Legion. I have been a member of the American Legion and VFW for over 40 years, but I am concerned that a card-carrying member is rudely denied access to this Post. And, some have suggested I joined this Post so I can partake of their post activities. Thanks, but their post leadership does not appeal to me!
Old 08-23-2021, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonSense View Post
Thank you to those who have responded to my recent post. Yes, I understand the American Legion Post 347 is not associated with The Villages, except, the 7,000 members are primarily residents of The Villages. I totally understand the problems and concerns with the Covid variants and this local Post's ability to make rules to protect their members. My point is the attitude in which they present themselves to visiting veterans. As mentioned earlier, I am a past commander of a post in Illinois and have no intention of changing, even though I am a permanent resident in The Villages. As a veteran with 35-years of service in the Air Force, I enjoy the comradery of veterans around the world. I have always been welcomed in Posts I visited, but Post 347 does not provide that feeling. I've cooled down from Saturday's post, but I do not believe I will ever walk into this post again. The gatekeeper was rude and condescending. And if they were really concerned about Covid-19 and its variants, the bartenders would have had masks on and social distancing would be required at the bar and tables, which it wasn't. Having observed a double standard gave me an unwelcomed impression. I am sure a large percentage of their members would concur this policy does not serve in the best interest of the Post. Also debatable is the question: does their protocol actually protects anyone from coming in contact with someone who has Covid-19 or its variants? Regardless, I will play by their rules and more than likely never return to American Legion Post 347!
I think I will print this post and send it to the VFW. I have never been there, but I have always been proud to brag it is the largest one in the U.S.

Always ready to tell our hero's who wear ball caps identifying themselves thank you.

I mean it so sincerely.

Remember that. Sir.
Old 08-23-2021, 09:12 AM

I agree. It's happened to me twice. I am a member BUT not a regular. It's like, "what do you want?"
Old 08-23-2021, 09:38 AM
Default Al poet 347

Those "POSTS" are nothing but private little control freak groups. My husband was a member of several of them and they did nothing for the community and only helped a few chosen people. My father was Air Force. Asked for help a few times thru the many many years and was told because he didnt come to meetings they wouldn't do anything for him (being sick, numerous strokes didnt count as a valid excuse). Just another bunch of drunks and ********. Don't waste your time. I don't go anywhere them and highly encourage others to not support them.
Old 08-23-2021, 09:44 AM
Angry Rookie

I am moving to the Villages. I will not walk through the doors of this club.

Last edited by Naomi Susan Rozman; 08-23-2021 at 09:45 AM. Reason: wrong sign in
Old 08-23-2021, 09:49 AM

My husband was also told that he had to join that post. They did not honor members from other locations. Haven't been
Denied at other posts. This happened a few months ago, haven't been back.

Last edited by Snprentice; 08-23-2021 at 09:56 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
post, american, legion, member, access

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.