Looking for a book club

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Old 05-03-2021, 04:59 PM
Default Looking for a book club

I'm looking for a book club in the vicinity of Pine Ridge. I would like to find one that reads a variety of books. If there isn't one, maybe we can start one?
Old 05-03-2021, 08:55 PM
Soaring Parsley

I have never been in TV year-round. But I have toyed with the idea of starting a book club if I were in TV all the time — but I’m not.

TV is so huge that it is not easy to find a book club. And if you do, you might find them to be well-established — but maybe welcoming. We have had wonderful neighbors but it’s a short street and nobody is really interested in a book club. I’ve asked. But they have been willing to socialize with me otherwise though, so I don’t feel like a wallflower.

I have wondered if a book club could be started by posting something somewhere that said. . .

Calling all Florida fiction readers — or historical fiction readers — or history non-fiction readers — or thriller readers — or romance readers — or mystery readers — or NYT Bestseller readers — or classics readers — or (insert favorite author here) readers — or random choice readers or (insert whatever other reader type here) readers. . .

Then say to meet on the porch of (insert a regional rec center name here) along with the time and date. (I hope the rec centers would not run off a gang of bookworms just trying to meet for the first time to figure things out — or would they? Maybe daytime at a square would be better.)

Anyway, it could be pleasantly surprising or it could be like trying to herd cats. But I think there is a good chance of it being fun to bring together readers with a common interest.

I think you could get some interested Villagers and then could make a plan to organize into an actual club with a real meeting room.

Worth a try?

Boomer

PS: I just remembered that the public library in Fruitland Park used to have a book club. I don’t know if they still do. You could not get there by golf cart, but it is in the Pine Ridge neck of the woods. It’s in Lake County and it’s a public library, not privatized.

Last edited by Boomer; 05-03-2021 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:17 PM

Good idea! I may try that. Thank you for the suggestion!

Tags
book, club, books, reads, variety

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.