Looking to Join The Corvette Community

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2023, 04:47 PM

I own a C7 ZO6. No doubt it’s more difficult to get in and out of a Corvette ,, BUT—— driving one is like nothing else. Mine is my , feel good,,, fun car! A total joy ! Our BMW suv is for most of the rest. Totally different. I can’t justify selling the Vet and would buy it again.
Old 01-20-2023, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoot2602 View Post
What type you buy depends how much you want to spend, what you want to do with it and how mechanically inclined you are. For the money spent on a new one you can obtain a pretyy nice 63-73. This will work if you like to work on them yourself. These years are very simple to maintain if you have mechanical aptitude. The most comfortable of the 8 Vettes that I've owned was a 65 with bucket seats that were really bench seats that looked like they were cut in half. The mid-year seats were not nearly as low as the current models and I thought they were more comfortable. As you got to the 68-72's the seats were a little lower and not as comfortable. I loved fixing things on the cars. On today's models, I wouldn't know where to start to repair them...plus, would void the warranty! Good luck!
I am looking at 2010 - 2013 C6 models as these look to be good choices for a daily driver. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2023, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAmb View Post
I own a C7 ZO6. No doubt it’s more difficult to get in and out of a Corvette ,, BUT—— driving one is like nothing else. Mine is my , feel good,,, fun car! A total joy ! Our BMW suv is for most of the rest. Totally different. I can’t justify selling the Vet and would buy it again.
I love the look of the C7, but at 6'2" tall, I am concerned about difficult sight lines. It is my understanding that the C7 seats cannot drop as low as C6, but I will definitely check them out for myself. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2023, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHarley View Post
Yeah, it's a lil' difficult climbing in and out of my C3 shark body vette, but with each grunt and groan I remind myself it's a form of yoga for these old bones. I fit in my vette not sit in it, then it's off and away for miles of smiles.
It sounds like you have found happiness in the driving, which is also what I am seeking. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2023, 05:49 PM

Not to hijack but…..can a 6’ 4” person fit in any of them?
Old 01-20-2023, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
The 3d and 4th generation Corvettes are difficult to get in and out of, actually harder to get out than in. The 5th and 6th generations eliminated much of the ingress/egress problems in the earlier models. I'm 75, bad back, knees and a badly torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder, I have no problems with my 5th gen Vette. Now if you weigh 250 + pounds or stand over 6' 2" you may have a problem. If you want one, go for it. Once you set in that seat you lose 40 years and 50lbs. There is nothing like the sound acceleration of a V8 engine. Life is too short.
At 63 years old, and in fairly decent shape, I want to enjoy the Corvette experience while it is still comfortable to do so. Thankfully, my wife is on board with the decision. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2023, 05:54 PM

Quote:
I just thought of this. On YouTube is a guy named Lyle that works at C&S Corvettes in Sarasota, FL, a corvette specialty shop. He has a number of videos explaining the pros and cons of each generation of Corvettes and makes recommendations on the best model for each generation. His recommendations are based on his experiences at the shop.
I have been following Lyle for about a week and find his videos very informative. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-20-2023, 08:20 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,221 Times in 928 Posts

Remembered a good bit of advice I've heard that many Corvette owners will tell you. Buy the newest, cleanest, lowest mileage one you can afford. There is the "Corvette Tax", if the part is for a Corvette it is 2 or 3 times more expensive than for regular cars. It's good you are looking at a C6 as you can still get most repair parts for them. Electronics are the most difficult to find new for older Vettes and in many cases you have to resort to a salvage yard.

The thread about a basket case Harley Davidson being a money pit to repair also applies to a Corvette.
Old 01-20-2023, 08:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Quote:
Remembered a good bit of advice I've heard that many Corvette owners will tell you. Buy the newest, cleanest, lowest mileage one you can afford. There is the "Corvette Tax", if the part is for a Corvette it is 2 or 3 times more expensive than for regular cars. It's good you are looking at a C6 as you can still get most repair parts for them. Electronics are the most difficult to find new for older Vettes and in many cases you have to resort to a salvage yard.

The thread about a basket case Harley Davidson being a money pit to repair also applies to a Corvette.
I can attest to this, I have rebuilt 8 early Mustangs from the ground up, and one '86 vette, everything on the 'vette was much more expensive than for the Mustangs, a complete Mustang interior (4 seats, front and rear carpet, etc) cost around $500 to $600, for the vette, 2 seats, and carpet almost $2000.
Old 01-20-2023, 08:49 PM

Quote:

Great advice, thanks.
Old 01-20-2023, 08:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I can attest to this, I have rebuilt 8 early Mustangs from the ground up, and one '86 vette, everything on the 'vette was much more expensive than for the Mustangs, a complete Mustang interior (4 seats, front and rear carpet, etc) cost around $500 to $600, for the vette, 2 seats, and carpet almost $2000.
I recently spent about $2,500 for new leather covers, new seat foam and installation. Just 2 seats, no carpet. The new seat foam feels great, the old foam rubber was pretty worn.
Old 01-21-2023, 08:02 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,084 Times in 367 Posts

Quote:
I recently spent about $2,500 for new leather covers, new seat foam and installation. Just 2 seats, no carpet. The new seat foam feels great, the old foam rubber was pretty worn.
Quit complaining about cost of repair. Saw a new one advertised this week in the Daily Sun for $244,000. Talk your wife into this one. Look at all the repair dollars you can save.
Old 01-22-2023, 02:47 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Quit complaining about cost of repair. Saw a new one advertised this week in the Daily Sun for $244,000. Talk your wife into this one. Look at all the repair dollars you can save.
What a bargain!!! I could get a his and hers at that price.
Old 01-22-2023, 07:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,124 Times in 806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundol View Post
My husband is selling a 2001 torch red c5 automatic coupe with 40,737 miles. Absolutely beautiful. However it is in Southern California. 862-242-9111
AH, yes, the wife has spoken while hubby screams: " We're not selling my Corvett."
Closed Thread

Tags
corvette, information, share, focused, enthusiasts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.