Modern boardgames

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2021, 11:50 AM
Default Modern boardgames

I see clubs that play traditional card games such as rummy, euchre, etc. I have also found clubs that play rummicube, dominoes, scrabble, bingo, etc. What I’m seeking is a club that plays more modern board & card games, eurogames, tactical and wargames, perhaps even some tabletop roleplaying games. Some board game examples might be Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, 7 Wonders, Pandemic, Small World, Century: Spice Road, and Splendor.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:46 PM
Default Modern Boardgames

Quote:
Originally Posted by nallware View Post
I see clubs that play traditional card games such as rummy, euchre, etc. I have also found clubs that play rummicube, dominoes, scrabble, bingo, etc. What I’m seeking is a club that plays more modern board & card games, eurogames, tactical and wargames, perhaps even some tabletop roleplaying games. Some board game examples might be Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, 7 Wonders, Pandemic, Small World, Century: Spice Road, and Splendor.
Not aware of any villages clubs playing these myself but the GameCrazy store in Leesburg plays most nights with various groups coming in to play. They also have a monthly game night MeetUp I believe the last Thursday of each month. Here's their address, and you can check their website for store hours. GAME CRAZY LLC, 2222 W Main St, Leesburg, FL 34748, USA
Old 07-19-2021, 01:41 PM

Don't know of any clubs that play the games you mentioned. But if you run across any, please post it here. I might be interested. Or if there is enough interest posted here, maybe a group could get together.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:58 PM
Default Euro Games

Count me in too! I used to be very involved in board game meetups up north, and I own quite a few games you might call Euro games.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danspear View Post
Count me in too! I used to be very involved in board game meetups up north, and I own quite a few games you might call Euro games.
So with just the interest here, I count 4 or 5 including myself and my wife. Any if you have significant others who also play? Is it possible to start a modern board game club? There’s a club for everything else. I’m less than a month here so a newb at how things work.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:00 AM

Moving to the villages next summer. Definitely count me in.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2B-Villager View Post
Moving to the villages next summer. Definitely count me in.
We checked in to the "Cards & Board Games" at Tierra Del Sol Village Recreation Center and the fellow who gave us a quick tour showed us the games closet which contained 20 different versions of Trivial Pursuit in addition to the other games I've mentioned previously that are played here. The room has a ton of space and I'm not seeing much officially scheduled there. Some examples this week:

Friday 10am Mah-Jongg
Saturday nil
Sunday Noon Mah-Jongg
Monday 1pm Cards, 6pm Hearts, 7pm Chula Gals Mah-Jongg
Tuesday 5pm Cards Unlimited, 6pm Euchre
Wednesday 10am Backgammon
Thursday 12:30 Mah-Jongg, 6pm Cards

There are some other events which may take place in that room such as Arts & Crafts or Sports Trivia, but I got the impression the room was saved strictly for Card Games and Board Games. Regardless, you can see that usage is light. A TV ID or Guest ID is required.

If(when) we end up going to that rec center to play a game, I'll post it here.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:04 PM

Playing Wingspan at Tierra Del Sol tonight. Pretty entertaining so far!
Old 08-03-2021, 08:50 AM

It seems like there is enough interest to start a club. You will want to carefully choose your name and description to differentiate it from other groups.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:13 AM

We stopped in last night at Tierra Del Sol and played a couple games of Port Royal. There were only 4 other people in the room and they were all playing some card game with a traditional 52 card deck though I don’t know what it was.

Does anyone know how to go about starting a club in TV?
Old 08-03-2021, 10:45 AM

Longtime military strategy gamer myself, old SSI games mostly. We're only in TV part time right now, but hope to be fulltime soon so could join a club if it's started beforehand.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:58 PM

Then stay tuned. It’s nice to see people who know that there are a wider variety of games that euchre and scrabble. I’m not strictly any one type. I like games that are not strictly based on chance and that have a more “crunchy” style that involves making strategic decisions whether those are wargame strategic or a more general game-play strategy. I play a lot of quick simple card and board games right now because it’s mostly just my spouse and myself. I’d love to bust out Terraforming Mars, or even Zombicide: Night of the Living Dead. We have a lot of cooperative games too that are plenty strategic.
Old 11-13-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoslacker View Post
Not aware of any villages clubs playing these myself but the GameCrazy store in Leesburg plays most nights with various groups coming in to play. They also have a monthly game night MeetUp I believe the last Thursday of each month. Here's their address, and you can check their website for store hours. GAME CRAZY LLC, 2222 W Main St, Leesburg, FL 34748, USA
The later posts from Board Game Geeks are this year. I am the last post

Looking for gamers/groups in The Villages, FL
Old 11-13-2021, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2B-Villager View Post
The later posts from Board Game Geeks are this year. I am the last post

Looking for gamers/groups in The Villages, FL
Wife and I play a lot of different stuff. Speaking of boardgamegeek s, here is our list of games:

the1weasel | User Collection | BoardGameGeek

We play card, board, and RPGs. We just started playing a game that was revived from the 80’s on Kickstarter called Car Wars. So far my wife has won every game but I’m hopeful! It’s sort of a boardgame/strategy /wargame mashup.

If anyone wants to meet up at a table in one of the TV rec centers let me know. We are both pre-retired so may be quite a bit busier than y’all but always try to make time for games!
Closed Thread

Tags
games, modern, card, board, play

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.