New Flying Club

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2019, 06:39 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd
Default New Flying Club

I am trying to determine if there is enough interest in flying to start a flying club within The Villages. It will take a minimum of 5 and up to 10 or 12 current or can become current pilots to make a successful flying club. I have been a member of several flying clubs and it is a much lower cost way to continue flying, learn and share with other pilots. I have also learned what makes a club successful and what causes them to fail.

First as most pilots already know, flying is expensive and probably why most of us stopped flying and sold our planes. I am open to suggestions and all decisions would be made by those that decide to join. I would like to have the plane based at the closest airport that has available hanger space, probably Inverness, Ocala or Leesburg but again am open to others ideas.

There are usually 3 costs associated with a successful flying club. These are based on my research and experience and the final costs would be determined by aircraft type and would be voted on by the membership. These 3 costs would be using 8 members as an example.

1. Share cost, 1 share for each member who would own 1/Xth of the plane and include cost to purchase aircraft and club set up.
2. Monthly dues which are the cost to always have the plane ready to fly but never fly and include things like hangar, insurance, annual inspections, other fixed cost.
3. Hourly cost to fly based on tachometer hours and include fuel, tires, oil changes, rebuild or new engine fund and any other variable costs.

I can share additional details, how to buy and sell your share, dues and hourly cost build up with anyone who has an interest in pursuing this further. No costs would be incurred until we actually buy an airplane.

Please PM me if this sounds interesting and you would like more information.

Last edited by l2ridehd; 08-25-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:06 PM
Sage

Still looking for a few more folks interested in flying. PM me if you have any questions.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:51 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

. . .

Last edited by Boomer; 08-26-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

What kind of planes? And how old?
Old 08-26-2019, 05:10 AM
Sage

What we actually get for a plane and it's age will be determined by the membership. My personal preference would be an Arrow or Mooney in 2000 range, but those require complex endorsement, so we will probably start with something like a Cessna 172 or Cherokee 180. Something in the 1980 range with lower airframe and engine hours. In order to get a new club off the ground you need to keep the initial buy in and the hourly flying cost as low as possible while also keeping the club financial sound. By having the initial buy in price be an equity share, folks can sell it when they decide to move on to either there own plane or stop flying. The club has to remain financially sound for those equity shares to retain and increase in value.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:51 AM
Default Scott

Please call me. 352-603-7535

Scott, CFI, CFII, CFIME, A&P
Old 10-12-2019, 07:46 AM
Default LSA Club

Are you aware of the Free Flight Airport effort to start a club to purchase an LSA?

Here is the information from their notice:

Fellow Pilots and aviation fans -

We are checking for interest to acquire a Light Sport Aircraft (LSA). Please attend tomorrow. We have another prospect to review.

We want to see if we have enough pilots who would consider buying the aircraft and use and/or rent to others - rental income will off-set your costs and perhaps you can fly for free! LSA will be based full time here at 2FA6.

Acquisition price $50K to $60K - need 5 to 10 pilots to buy. The new club will be run by our pilots for pilots - YOUR club!

Please email me or call Frank (352) 748-6629 to discuss details.

Visit our new Facebook page - like us and spread the word.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:33 AM
Sage

Yes I have talked to a few of those folks. I am not really looking for an LSA aircraft. Will consider that if no other option becomes available. I have found some other options for flying that may work so will pursue those right now. But would still like to get a local or another local club off the ground.

Tags
flying, cost, based, aircraft, costs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.