New resident. How do we FIND listed clubs?

Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2021, 07:39 AM

[QUOTE=Road-Runner;1963524]I do think it would be nice for The Villages to keep up with a list of known clubs including contact information for more info. They definitely benefit from potential buyers knowing about the large number of clubs, but as a recent buyer I wouldn't have thought it would be as difficult as it is to get an up-to-date 'official list'. Plus, I've looked at what's out there and it's hard to tell what many of the listed clubs are just by their title. Just my .02

I'm with you on this one. We've been here about 4 months and given up many times. I finally decided to call afew clubs that seemed interesting only to find out that they were private clubs or bridge etc. They need to say what they are instead of some random name.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:40 AM
Default Clubs in The Villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBoomer View Post
we have heard that there are something like 2,500 clubs in TV? But where does one find them on the internet? contact them?
The Daily Sun has a Recreation section on Thursdays that lists Clubs and Activities.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:13 AM

MANY clubs are “private” or popular activities have a long “waiting list”. If you have a passion or interest in a group, you might need to start your own club.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
we have heard that there are something like 2,500 clubs in TV? But where does one find them on the internet? contact them?
I’ve asked the same thing and the list on the district website is maybe half! I have never found a complete list. For the 3000+ clubs, activities, etc supposedly available, it really would be nice to find them in one location. No way is the listing on the district website all. Good luck!
Old 06-23-2021, 08:49 AM

go to: Village Community Development Districts --- then under departments select recreation --- then select resident lifestyle clubs and contacts
Old 06-23-2021, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,307 Times in 2,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhite5773 View Post
I’ve asked the same thing and the list on the district website is maybe half! I have never found a complete list. For the 3000+ clubs, activities, etc supposedly available, it really would be nice to find them in one location. No way is the listing on the district website all. Good luck!
The list on the district.gov website is 185 pages with 14 or 15 clubs per page for a total of approximately 2,590 clubs.

There is no indication of whether these are open/closed or still active. If you find entries that are no longer valid you could contact the Recreation & Parks Department and ask them to correct the list.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 06-23-2021, 09:22 AM

so this '2,500 clubs' may be an illusion/exaggeration. and you have to kind of contact them and go one by one. Good information to know. thanks everyone
Old 06-23-2021, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
yes, I have seen the LISTS. just wondering if there were LINKS to find out how to contact them. that's more what i was getting at. I see that some under details show an email, a phone number. that's helpful. I also wondered if some of these clubs actually really existed or the listings are just old? I guess you go one by one and see what happens . thanks everyone
Call the rec center near you and ask them where you can go to a class on basket weaving or a group doing yoga or a group of this or that. Stop by your local rec center and see what folks are doing.

The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Active Adult 55+ Retirement Community
Old 06-23-2021, 09:45 AM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Runner View Post
I do think it would be nice for The Villages to keep up with a list of known clubs including contact information for more info. They definitely benefit from potential buyers knowing about the large number of clubs, but as a recent buyer I wouldn't have thought it would be as difficult as it is to get an up-to-date 'official list'. Plus, I've looked at what's out there and it's hard to tell what many of the listed clubs are just by their title. Just my .02

Later, Jim
As a newcomer myself, I agree Jim. I am struggling with what is what, how to participate and who is open to new members, etc.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:28 PM

Pay $6.99 for Villages GPS app and you’ll find all listings of clubs and more.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:12 PM

I wish folks would realize the The Villages Inc. Is separate from the District Government which is responsible for the Recreation Department. The District Govt is a Florida State entity.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:43 AM

The Recreation News distributed at Rec Ctrs and offices by the Recreation Dept. is published Thursday with a list of clubs with meetings that week, and some meet less frequently. A full list of clubs is at their website districtgov.org but is not classified by activity, just by name which is not always descriptive. Daily Sun no longer publishes club listings. The Recreation News appears to have cut back its listings some, so I have posted on the internet a subject index to clubs at villagesclubsbyactivity.com (no www...), which just lists names classified-- for details look a club up here or at the dept. website. I added categories for Public Affairs and Investments which they seem to have dropped.
Old 06-26-2021, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerk View Post
I wish folks would realize the The Villages Inc. Is separate from the District Government which is responsible for the Recreation Department. The District Govt is a Florida State entity.
What does your comment have ANYTHING to do with what is being asked here? Move on!
Closed Thread

Tags
find, clubs, glance, interested, born

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.