Pickleball

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2017, 03:54 PM
Default Pickleball

Hi,

I'll be renting a home in The Villages in January, 2018. How do I go about joining a Pickleball club?

Last edited by koorsbarlow; 08-03-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:29 PM

Depending on your skill level (beginner, advanced beginner, intermediate, and advanced) there are scheduled times (10:00 a.m.) and scheduled locations for each skill level. You just show up and get in line to play. These venues get quite crowded in the winter. Before 10 am., the courts are open play and again, just show up. The skill level at early open play is generally on a higher level. The Pickled Babes and Dudes play at Manatee every morning. It is an open group and the skill level is generally advanced beginner and intermediate. You can become associated with groups after noon by looking in the recreation guide and showing up and asking, or word of mouth about who runs the group. The weekly recreation guide also lists a number of groups and their contact.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:51 PM

Thanks you for the information. It really helps! Looking forward to playing Pickleball in The Villages. Want to take some lessons and or clinics too.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koorsbarlow View Post
Hi,

I'll be renting a home in The Villages in January, 2018. How do I go about joining a Pickleball club?
This website will give you some insight.

Play Pickleball-B Forever Young - WELCOME

This website will tell you about the various levels of training, 101, 102 and 103 and about clinics and other scheduled sessions. For instance I took Pickleball 101 at Sterling Heights Rec Center in Oct 2013. I had gone to the Rec Center and looked up the training dates and called and reserved a spot in the class which started about a week later. After I finished the 2 hour class, I then began playing during the beginner open sessions at Colony Cottage, at that time on Tuesday and Wednesday at noon to 2:00. There are other centers and times, but that fit my situation. As you improve and want to learn more and move up, you can take 102 and 103.

https://www.districtgov.org/departme...erSchedule.pdf
Old 08-04-2017, 06:25 AM
Veteran member

We rent near Mulberry. Three years ago I sat on the bench (beginners go to the back!) I was told we needed to take Pickelball 101 before play. So, we did and a lot of the class was on safety. Now we are 2.25 skill level. We're there for exercise..
Old 08-04-2017, 07:37 AM

Thank you, I have been playing a couple of years now. I think I would be able to play 3.0 or 3.5.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

It really not clubs, more like clicks (after open play) As suggested go to 101 and 102. Look for beginners game play times, several rec centers usually ever day some where 10 till noon. Learn the scoring and get court time. Once you confident and can rally move up to advance beginners few less options at same times 10 to noon) or open play times ( 8 to 10 at any rec center) on all courts. You can also look in rec guide for training classes. Coach Mo classes are good start for form, strategy, and practice techniques. It helps if you played racket or paddle sport in the pass, you can pick up pickleball quickly. If you haven't please give yourself time to develop some stroke and don't be discouraged by poor play at first or obnoxious opponents. It's great game and good workout.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koorsbarlow View Post
Thank you, I have been playing a couple of years now. I think I would be able to play 3.0 or 3.5.

Here 3.0 to 3.5 pretty seasoned player. If you want to, go to rating clinic and get rated. It will open up league play closer to the club play you mention.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Here 3.0 to 3.5 pretty seasoned player. If you want to, go to rating clinic and get rated. It will open up league play closer to the club play you mention.
I agree with Topspinmo.

OP, if you are at the 3.0-3.5 level, there is an intermediate clinic run by Jeff Shenk once a month. It used to be the first Monday, I think, at Miona. The rec centers have a sheet of clinic times, levels, and locations.

Jeff also started a pickleball club a few years ago that holds drills and other PB functions.

Tags
pickleball, club, joining, renting, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.