Playing poker in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2022, 05:38 AM
Default Playing poker in The Villages

I recently moved to The Villages. I am looking for a friendly game of poker. I saw there is a poker room near, but they are too serious. I am willing to host a game in my home or meet at a recreation center. Can anyone help me.
Old 12-06-2022, 12:30 AM
Veteran member
Default 2 Friendly non serious Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbbq View Post
I recently moved to The Villages. I am looking for a friendly game of poker. I saw there is a poker room near, but they are too serious. I am willing to host a game in my home or meet at a recreation center. Can anyone help me.
Coconut Cove Rec Center, Tuesday 12:30 Start, be there by 12:15 to sign in - they could limit the group if no space to set up another table, but it hasn't been a recent issue.

Sterling Rec Center Friday Start a little earlier 12:00

All paid back to players. Tuesday about 2 table, 24 players +- , Friday is 3 tables up to 36.
I'll expect to be there Tomorrow Tuesday > Jerry and I'll fill you in on more details or anyone there will also.
Both fun, easy, non serious groups. Expect to last (with a little luck) at least 1hr 30 min or up to about 3 hrs if doing good.

There are other groups also

Jerry
Old 12-06-2022, 10:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbbq View Post
"Home Poker Games & Florida Law
Unlike some states in the USA, private home poker games are specifically outlined in the Florida Penal Code. If you read Chapter 849 of state law, it plainly states that a person is “guilty of a charge of the third degree if he owns or operates a house or room for the purpose of gambling or gaming,” unless, and this is crucial for home game legality, it is simply a penny-ante game.

Yes, Florida limits home card games to penny antes only, but they must also limit their pot sizes to a $10 maximum. Also, everyone participating must be at least eighteen years old, and there is the familiar American restriction against charging any sort of entry fee, participation fee, or pot-raking. For poker players in Florida who want to wager at higher limits, know that not a single case has ever been filed against a citizen for playing at higher-stakes poker games, so it appears unlikely that Florida authorities would attempt to shut down a private home poker game, as long as it doesn’t involve organized crime." (us poker sites dot net website).
Old 12-06-2022, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,042 Times in 5,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Unlike some states in the USA, private home poker games are specifically outlined in the Florida Penal Code. If you read Chapter 849 of state law, it plainly states that a person is “guilty of a charge of the third degree if he owns or operates a house or room for the purpose of gambling or gaming,” unless, and this is crucial for home game legality, it is simply a penny-ante game.

Yes, Florida limits home card games to penny antes only, but they must also limit their pot sizes to a $10 maximum. Also, everyone participating must be at least eighteen years old, and there is the familiar American restriction against charging any sort of entry fee, participation fee, or pot-raking. For poker players in Florida who want to wager at higher limits, know that not a single case has ever been filed against a citizen for playing at higher-stakes poker games, so it appears unlikely that Florida authorities would attempt to shut down a private home poker game, as long as it doesn’t involve organized crime." (us poker sites dot net website).
Wow Florida actually has a law regulating this in your home. Who would have thought.
Old 12-06-2022, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

I play in some illegal dice games around the Orlando area , one is a place called pine hills in Orlando , the nick name is crime hills , it’s mostly a poor minority neighborhood , the cops love it when the game is going , because the guy who runs the game doesn’t want any trouble for the players and keeps that area crime free while the game is on , and he’s a very scary guy lol
Old 12-06-2022, 04:40 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post

No rake, no problem. They have enough other issues to stay occupied.
Old 12-06-2022, 05:27 PM

What type of poker are you looking to play old school like 5 card draw 7 card stud
Old 12-07-2022, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Wow Florida actually has a law regulating this in your home. Who would have thought.
The law is on the books but apparently never enforced.

Lots of laws like that. In one county in the State of Washington, killing Bigfoot can earn you five years in prison. More toward laws regarding gambling, until 2015 it was illegal for nursing home residents to play bingo more than two times per week.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:54 PM
Default Friendly poker game

Monday night from 5 to 9 pm at a villagers residence. A nickle-dime-quarter with no pot over $10 Mostly 7 card stud (no wild cards) but occasionally 5 card draw (no wild cards) are played. (no Texas hold em). The group has six people playing alternatively depending on week availability. The group is always open to another especially when not all can attend. When a host cannot play, the game is moved to another players house. (no rec centers). Strictly for fun not profit. Initial buy-in is $10 for chips then tally up at 9 pm for payout. Obviously game is limited in players so if interested you may have to go on a waiting list and be called on a night of an opening.
Old 12-08-2022, 07:25 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Join the facebook group

Villages Card Players

You will find a lengthy list of games at various rec centers, which are close to twice daily, starting at 1230 and 530. These games are played in a tournament style. Most have an "entry fee" of $ 25, with an optional five or ten dollars after the first few rounds of increasing blinds. Very well run, all fees returned to top remaining players.
Old 12-08-2022, 07:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,042 Times in 5,334 Posts

Lots of poker games around here but mostly friends getting together for friendly game
Old 01-27-2023, 09:14 AM

Are there any weekly nickel/dime/quarter traditional (no wild cards) poker games open to new players?
Closed Thread

Tags
poker, villages, game, playing, meet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.