Remote-Controlled Model Airplanes

Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2013, 10:58 AM
Angry Remote-Controlled Model Airplanes

What happened to R.C. Airplane group. When we came here last year there was a nice group at Polo Farms racing grounds?

Last edited by Pat Walkey; 12-27-2013 at 12:31 PM. Reason: for more contats
Old 12-22-2013, 03:22 PM
Veteran member

I found this post from 2008. It might be a place to start. There were posts as late as 2012....

Yes there is. E-FLYERS They fly their planes at the Polo Field.
Mon, Tues.Wed, Fri 8 am to 11am. only electric planes. Gas scares the
The polo ponies. call Walter 753 5291 for info.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 12-22-2013, 07:08 PM
Platinum member

If you don't mind driving a few miles you might visit the Ocala Flying Model Club which is near Belleview.

They have an excellent facility. I've driven out on a couple of Saturday mornings to watch them fly.

Some of the flying is more robust than the electrics that are allowed at the Polo Grounds because they fly fuel aircraft. Sometimes you can see helicopters as well as fixed wings.

The field is very impressive. The paved runway is so large that they occasionally have a full sized airplane approach to land before they realize it is not an actual airfield. On the home page scroll down for several views of the field.

The map to the field is at Ocala Flying Model Club Location

Old 12-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Gold member

The Villages E-Flyers are usually on the back polo field (behind the stadium) on Mon-Fri mornings from 7-11. When that field is being serviced or watered, we move over to the practice field to the north.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:41 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
The Villages E-Flyers are usually on the back polo field (behind the stadium) on Mon-Fri mornings from 7-11. When that field is being serviced or watered, we move over to the practice field to the north.
Is it an organized club, with meetings, dues, etc. and if so do you require AMA membership as most clubs do?

Also, how would I get to the back field by car and/or by golf cart? I'm pretty well wheelchair bound (temporarily I hope) but would enjoy coming over to watch some flying.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Walkey View Post
What happened to R.C. Airplane group. When we came here last year there was a nice group at Polo Farms racing grounds?
The RC Flyers Club is alive and well. I can tell because my husband disappears every morning for a few hours. And the last time I counted, there were at least ten RC planes in our garage. I'm glad he found a hobby he loves, but yikes. We need a larger garage.

Last edited by Barefoot; 12-22-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
Is it an organized club, with meetings, dues, etc. and if so do you require AMA membership as most clubs do?

Also, how would I get to the back field by car and/or by golf cart? I'm pretty well wheelchair bound (temporarily I hope) but would enjoy coming over to watch some flying.

Carl,

Yes, organized, chartered by the AMA, and AMA membership required. Also an "official" Villages recreation club, listed in the Recreation News. AMA insurance for the property owners of the Polo Club. About 160 members now. Club dues are $5.00 per year. Meetings are held every other month at Bridgeport rec center. The club has several voluntary instructors. Typical morning crowd is 15-20 guys.

You can access the polo fields from Buena Vista, just North of Rte 466. One entrance is at the traffic light by the softball fields. Enter there, but jog to the left for the polo fields, then jog right onto the perimeter road. That road takes you along the South border of the fields, and past the stadium, and makes a left turn to go across the back field. It is golf cart accessible from the golf course just south of 466. The perimeter road continues North, and dead-ends at the adjacent practice field. There is another entry road from Buena Vista, between the North and South fields.

Spectators are welcomed. Wheelchair is no problem. One of our members flies from a wheelchair.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:44 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Carl,

Yes, organized, chartered by the AMA, and AMA membership required. Also an "official" Villages recreation club, listed in the Recreation News. AMA insurance for the property owners of the Polo Club. About 160 members now. Club dues are $5.00 per year. Meetings are held every other month at Bridgeport rec center. The club has several voluntary instructors. Typical morning crowd is 15-20 guys.

You can access the polo fields from Buena Vista, just North of Rte 466. One entrance is at the traffic light by the softball fields. Enter there, but jog to the left for the polo fields, then jog right onto the perimeter road. That road takes you along the South border of the fields, and past the stadium, and makes a left turn to go across the back field. It is golf cart accessible from the golf course just south of 466. The perimeter road continues North, and dead-ends at the adjacent practice field. There is another entry road from Buena Vista, between the North and South fields.

Spectators are welcomed. Wheelchair is no problem. One of our members flies from a wheelchair.
After we get past the holidays I'll try to get out there, Looking forward to it,

Carl
Old 12-23-2013, 09:18 PM
Gold member

See you then.

BTW - I meant to say golf cart accessible from the course north of 466. Should be Saddlebrook
Old 12-27-2013, 12:37 PM
Default E-Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by aln View Post
I found this post from 2008. It might be a place to start. There were posts as late as 2012....

Yes there is. E-FLYERS They fly their planes at the Polo Field.
Mon, Tues.Wed, Fri 8 am to 11am. only electric planes. Gas scares the
The polo ponies. call Walter 753 5291 for info.

Thanks Walter, Will they still sailing in the new year, Pat & George 843-222-4663 cell or home 843-272-9916
Old 12-27-2013, 01:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Walkey View Post
... Will they still sailing in the new year
Quote:

Excellent information provided by Buzzy with directions. Yes, they will be flying in 2014. As Buzzy said, spectators are welcome. Monday to Friday, 7 AM to 11 AM. My husband loves everything about E Flyers. Great group.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.