Villages Computer Club - Concerned about Cyberwarfare - Friday 11/22

Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2019, 09:38 AM
Default Villages Computer Club - Concerned about Cyberwarfare - Friday 11/22

Concerned about Cyberwarfare and its potential impact on you. If so come to Lake Miona 1 pm November 22.

We have all seen the news reports and heard the stories about the seemingly never-ending series of Cyber-attacks directed by one nation state against another. How about the massive data breaches perpetrated by gangs of cyber terrorists like the one that happened to Equifax, with 146 million Americans being adversely affected? And now, we have learned that some 100 million Capital One customers and 500, 000,000 (that’s right 500 million) Marriott guest records have been compromised. And let’s not forget that all of us continue to be individual targets for gangs of cyber terrorists as well as for the lone wolf bad actor who has really great computer skills and larceny in his/her heart? These issues have become horrific in terms of number, scope, and impact such that we are all at risk every day from a wide variety of threats.

John Campbell and Peter Cronas have done their homework on this subject and will present “Cyberwarfare and Counter measures” at Lake Miona 1 pm November 22. This presentation with give a compelling overview of the nature and extent of the problems we need to be aware of, as well as those we may not have even considered. They will, of course, offer recommendations for effective, real-world defensive measures. This presentation is as timely as it is extremely important. Try not to miss it. This presentation will be up on our web site prior to the meeting.

Our meetings are open to all Villages residents and feature a 45 minute presentation on a subject of interest, followed by a short break for refreshments, 50-50 and door prizes. Afterward, we reconvene to answer questions members have asked our GURUs before the meeting started. Please visit: The VILLAGES COMPUTER CLUB Inc. - Home for more info.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I think it's great what you guys offer to help those of us who need an assist with all things Computer Related. I hope to be able to attend your next meeting.

Just yesterday I got hit with a Triple Threat. An incoming phone call from my own number. Then an Alert and Proof that someone tried to gain access to my E-mail account. Then the Fake Social Security call that so many others have received. Very disheartening.

Keep up the Great Work.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:43 PM
Gold member

I hope to attend. Currently have a very nerve wracking situation going on. I’ve gotten so many emails with in the last 4 days saying that I’ve reset my password & I have not. Emails supposedly from eBay, Amazon, face book, Walmart, Instagram & apple. I don’t know what to do.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:27 AM
Veteran member

Go to the official site of each of those companies to verify you can log in. I strongly suggest a password manager (like LastPass) so you (or LastPass) can create a secure password.
Closed Thread

Tags
presentation, million, terrorists, gangs, meeting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.