Villages Computer Club - Cutting the Cord

Closed Thread
Old 08-21-2019, 04:39 PM
Default Villages Computer Club - Cutting the Cord

Our next meeting will be at Lake Miona Rec Center on Friday, Aug 23, 2019 at 1 pm. "The title of our scheduled presentation is “Cutting The Cord - TV Over The Internet”.

As cable TV bills continue to increase, consumers are increasingly turning to over the air or streaming TV options as cost-effective alternatives. Moreover, the number of streaming TV services has increased dramatically with new ones being added weekly to the point where choosing the appropriate service can be confusing and time-consuming.

Joe Kennedy, in his talk titled “Cutting the Cord” will review the possibilities for streaming TV and provide guidance as to what different services have to offer. The possibility of using an antenna for TV reception in The Villages will also be covered.

If you are considering switching from cable TV to a streaming TV service or using an antenna for TV reception, Joe’s talk will be an excellent resource – be sure to come to Lake Miona, August 23th at 1 pm.

Our regular meetings are held Fridays at 1 pm. At various rec centers. The schedule is found later in this email.

If you have a Windows 7 or newer desktop or laptop PC that no longer works or runs so poorly that it is unusable please donate it to the Villages Computer Club (VCC). Bring it to our next meeting at the Lake Miona recreation center on Friday before 1:00 pm. In the last 12 years the VCC refurbishing group has refurbished and donated to needy groups and individuals approximately 3,000 PCs. This is MUCH better than having your PC wind up in a dump. PLEASE, ONLY Windows 7 or higher desktop; laptop PCs and flat screen monitors that are 19” or larger can be accepted. We can not accept donations of printers or any other peripheral devices. Thank you for your generosity.

Our meetings consist of a presentation of about 50 minutes or so, a break with refreshments, a 50/50 drawing, and a door prize drawing followed by a problem-solving session (questions submitted in advance taken first and then general questions will be taken from the floor). Our website is: The VILLAGES COMPUTER CLUB Inc. - Home.

Problem Solving: Before the meeting starts our Gurus are at a table at the back of the room to help you articulate your questions – They will fill out the question form. Then they will research your problem during the presentation and answer the question after the break. So, if you have a computer question please bring it to the table in the back of the room between 12:30 and 1 PM on Fridays

Membership:

Our meetings are for paid members only. The dues are $5.00 per calendar year. Your dues and your support of our weekly 50-50 drawing help us run our scholarship program and assist in refurbishing donated computers which we give to worthwhile local charities and individuals.

Don’t forget during the year, you can Find a Home for your Old Computer here:

The VCC facilitates the refurbishing of PCs and we encourage the donation of computer equipment. Please see the VCC website Home page for more details.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:50 PM

Excellent - I’m in with a +1....
Old 08-22-2019, 07:21 AM
Veteran member

The Computer Club is a good resource. However, I think outside the box.

As far as "Cutting the cord" I used the Amazon Firestick and went to Do It Yourself Tech Projects For Home & Small Business to download apps to watch movies and TV shows. This is sometimes referred to as "jail-breaking". While this sounds "illegal" I contend that Amazon sends down updates to the Firestick and if they thought that is was illegal they could turn that option off.

On old Windows PCs, I have been looking at how most of the people in The Villagers use their Windows PC. Since most are not working, they no longer need their company software. Most of them surf the web, do Facebook, Twitter, Banking, etc.

You don't need Windows (with all the overhead that goes with it) to do all that.

I believe in K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple & Safe). A Chromebook does not get viruses or malware (depending on how you define that). It stores all your documents on the Google Drive. If your Chromebook breaks all you need to do is buy a need one and sign in, that's it, everything you had comes right back.

The other option I believe in is Linux. Linux is an operating system something like Windows, again like the Chromebook, does not need antivirus software and has thousands of programs that work very much like their Windows versions. I use the Mint 19.1 version of Linux because it is the most Windows "ish". By that I mean that of the over the dozen of people I convert to Linux Mint, none have asked to go back (I give them option by exchanging their hard drive with one that has Linux Mint on it and after a few weeks of using Linux they give me permission to use their old drive for another Linux conversion).

Linux gives new life to "old" PCs that are running slow.
Closed Thread

Tags
friday, computer, lake, miona, streaming

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.