Wine tasting groups?

Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Gold member

I don't have the palate needed to distinguish the various nuances...never could get the whole "pleasing cherry with hint of licorice and tomato leaves (an actual thing I read)..just know if I like it or not. Concerning reds, I find I like Malbec and Syrah the most, whites..sweet moscatos or reislings or any cheap sweet white! Just talked to Steve (my husband) and suggested that someday in the near future we can rent a place there for a week and have a get together with all of you! Wouldn't that be fun???
Old 07-27-2011, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
I would LOVE to have a tasting in September...unfortunately we haven't moved to TV yet so I will still be in Michigan, sadly drinking the wine while watching the leaves change color in preparation for the cold, snowy winter that follows.
I hear you Trish. I hate winter and dread it every year. Funny how you, TippyClubb and I are all pretty close in proximity. Maybe we should meet for our own Michigan wine tasting.

TippyClub, I have a few more years to slog through before I can retire but my hope is to relocate before I retire. All I need to work is a high speed internet connection, my laptop and VPN. Then all is good.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Platinum member

Hey, don't knock chianti bottles with candles dripping all over them!

They were my mother's favorite decoration! She once set a goal to have more candle holders than any one else!

Came near to meeting her goal, too!

SWR
Old 07-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Sage
Default Count me in

When the TV wine club forms, count me in. My dad has made homemade wine each autumn since before I was born (think sweet like Mogen David). I can't drink his wine any longer (too sweet), but he must have passed his love of wine on to me. In preparation for the annual wine-making, when my sisters and I were young, we were "recruited" to pick the grapes off of the stems. Our fingers were purple for a couple of weeks.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
When the TV wine club forms, count me in.
Me TOO! I enjoy wine. Wine, Cheese, Crackers and new friends. What an enjoyable way to spend an evening. Of course, I still have to get to the Villages first.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:23 AM

So, I just read through five pages of posts about forming wine get-togethers (looking for one myself), but no actual gathering planned. I have a 180 bottle wine cooler (not cellar unfortunately that is about 2/3 full.

So, let's get things moving. I am willing to host the first gathering if a couple of others are willing to help plan/organize. If you are willing to help out call me.

Bob Matonte 561 4858
Village of Pennecamp

Brooklyn, NY
Margate, FL
Gillette, WY
Cape Cod (Brewster), MA
Coral Springs, FL
Pittsburgh, PA
Boynton Beach, FL
Pennecamp 10/29/10

Last edited by Sherman931; 07-29-2011 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Added additional info
Old 07-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman931 View Post
So, I just read through five pages of posts about forming wine get-togethers (looking for one myself), but no actual gathering planned. I have a 180 bottle wine cooler (not cellar unfortunately that is about 2/3 full.

So, let's get things moving. I am willing to host the first gathering if a couple of others are willing to help plan/organize. If you are willing to help out call me.

Bob Matonte 561 4858
Village of Pennecamp
I think that is a GREAT idea!!! I wish I were there to help. I'll keep watching the posts to find out how it turned out. Btw, your wine cooler...is it built in to your kitchen? We were trying to figure out how to make one..possibly a(very well) insulated closet in the garage or something. Oh well, have to get there first! Good luck
Old 07-29-2011, 07:20 PM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=runnermi;374907]I hear you Trish. I hate winter and dread it every year. Funny how you, TippyClubb and I are all pretty close in proximity. Maybe we should meet for our own Michigan wine tasting.

Thats not a bad ideal Gail. There's one near me on 17 & Garfield or I can come out your way. Lets pick a time and place to meet.

That would be fun the three of us tasting wine and talking about TV. My friends don't understand the fascination with it , but you two sure will.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:12 PM

I just am installing a 50 bottle Wine Enthuasiast wine fridge in my kitchen in CT. Should finish installation before I leave for TV next Sunday.
I would be happy to participate in a wine tasting gathering if it occurs when I am in TV from 8/8/-8/30. As a financial advisor I recently gave a seminar comparing the different wine classes to investing in different asset classes. It went over very well with my audience of teachers. I used a wine expert from a local wine store and they were more than accommodating in helping to give the wine part of the presentation. We had a tasting of eight different wines from all over the world. Having cheese and crackers also helped. Let me know if I can help in any way.
Larry
Old 07-30-2011, 08:51 AM
Veteran member
Smile Wine Tasting

Bob and Fran. Will definitely help but currently am up North. We live in Pennecamp too so we can do this if I am there. Have visited all the wine stores around there but do you have a preference? Look forward to a good session and fun.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman931 View Post

Bob Matonte 561 4858
Village of Pennecamp
I previously posted that I was willing to get things started for a wine group. After reading thru all the posts I determined, as best I could, that about 12 out of 20+ posters are interested and currently living in TV. I sent PMs to those 12 and I only received 4 responses.

Again, if you are currently living in TV and interested in organizing/joining a wine group send me a PM. For those of you who are not currently living in TV but are interested I will follow up and get you all on a mailing list once we get started. So far I have commitments from "Caltex63", "teachmo", "jojo" and great moral support from Trish.

Thanks
Bob

Brooklyn, NY
Margate, FL
Gillette, WY
Cape Cod (Brewster), MA
Coral Springs, FL
Pittsburgh, PA
Boynton Beach, FL
Pennecamp 10/29/10
Old 08-02-2011, 08:05 AM

Saddly I am not in TV yet, but I have my fingers and toes crossed that I will be there before winter....I am very interested in a Wine Tasting group. I love wine but know so little about it except that I love it. I've always wanted to know more.
Suzanne
Old 08-02-2011, 08:38 AM
Veteran member
Smile Wine tasting

Looks like something will start at TV re wine tasting. I also have a 50 bottle Wine Enthusiast cellar which is easy to handle and I don't need anything more. I only need to plug and use. Even if we can't be with you guys physically, would be interesting to know what kind of wines were selected as I may want to taste what the participants liked here. If that's complicated, just what the grape varietals you are choosing for the evening are. We can enjoy vicariously.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:10 PM
Location: village Gilchrist, Lake Northern MI, formerly Royal Oak MI, Northville MI
Smile Wine lovers and moving to TV Sept

We would love to join a wine club. We have traveled with the "Tasters Guild" and attended their wine tastings as well as being with a five year group of friends who loved wine and learned from each other. We met every 6-8 weeks and picked a grape or region to compare. The host picked and every couple brought a bottle. Light appetizers were added and we rotated homes. We did not discuss price until we all voted. Most times the most expensive wine was not the number one wine. COUNT US IN-can't wait to start our new life at TV.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:13 PM

I saw your post, I too would like to find a wine group. I will be there this summer all of July and August and part of June. I will bring some wine with me, would love to get to know some other people who would like to share some good ones. Please contact me and let me know if this is all still alive, as I see these posts have some age on them.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.