Penn State Nittany Lions Talk

Old 11-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaZen View Post
Didn't take them long to toss Joe Pa under the bus.
Joe knew of serious allegations in 2002. So if 9 years is not a long time than it didn't take long.

Of course during that time period of Holy Joe's inaction, additional children were molested.

Nice legacy!
Old 11-09-2011, 07:31 PM

I am a PSU Alumni, I feel Joe, Spanier and McQuery should be gone before nights end. Centre Daily Times reports that Sandusky was seen in the PSU sports facility as late as last week, no excuse for any of them IMHO.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl View Post
Joe knew of serious allegations in 2002. So if 9 years is not a long time than it didn't take long.

Of course during that time period of Holy Joe's inaction, additional children were molested.

Nice legacy!
He could always go into the Catholic priesthood. Heck, maybe he could get a nice little parish in Rome, his homeland, like Cardinal Law did after leaving his "legacy" in Boston.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl View Post

Nice legacy!
Wow, this thread is getting mean spirited.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default Come on!

It's a mean subject!!!
Old 11-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Platinum member

He was fired tonight
Old 11-10-2011, 12:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

A coach is a teacher. A teacher must report child abuse to local law enforcement.

No matter what else he did. He failed to do that.

After all is said and done this is how Joe Paterno will be remembered.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:22 AM
Sage

All I can say is - -- WOW

Go from the most respected College Football Coach with years and years of history to trashed and fired in a week!

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 11-10-2011, 04:54 AM
Veteran member

Ye who have no sin cast the first stone.

Joe Pa IS Penn State so any conflict that needs headlines will involve him.

Anybody know the heirarchy of University Security? There is protocol and only higher ups may involve outside agencies at their discretion. So some body comes to you and says they saw something happen as it relates to a previous employee. Protocol dictates that I report this to higher authorities in the chain of command, which he did. They investigate it and take control. Follow up? With all the othr responsibilities you think I have time to follow up?

Everybody is treating this as if Joe SAW the event and did nothing.... You make it sound like he did it NOT a former coach years removed. It IS horrific what happened but to tarnish a man for doing what he is instructed to do and follow the chain of command on hearsay, well you all have got it wrong!

Many other horrors were witnessed and not reported in Corporate and in the military ... That'sno excuse but it happens......

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Old 11-10-2011, 06:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedoman View Post
Ye who have no sin cast the first stone.

Joe Pa IS Penn State so any conflict that needs headlines will involve him.

Anybody know the heirarchy of University Security? There is protocol and only higher ups may involve outside agencies at their discretion. So some body comes to you and says they saw something happen as it relates to a previous employee. Protocol dictates that I report this to higher authorities in the chain of command, which he did. They investigate it and take control. Follow up? With all the othr responsibilities you think I have time to follow up?

Everybody is treating this as if Joe SAW the event and did nothing.... You make it sound like he did it NOT a former coach years removed. It IS horrific what happened but to tarnish a man for doing what he is instructed to do and follow the chain of command on hearsay, well you all have got it wrong!

Many other horrors were witnessed and not reported in Corporate and in the military ... That'sno excuse but it happens......

Hedoman,

You may be right on this one too. You are always fair and accurate...but..

I was under the impression that in the last ten years or so that all suspected child abuse seen by teachers must be reported to law enforcement and not to supervisors. Maybe that is not in all states.

My belief is that Joe Paterno is a fine man. I certainly have no right to cast stones because I am NOT sinless.

But we can't forget the fact that this man, this fine man, this great man, who was a huge hero to hundreds of thousands and deservedly so, had the same responsiblity as a lowly kindergarten teacher like me.

Hedoman. It hurts all of us to see these things happen. I am sorry that I appear self righteous.

And it is possible that he did just exactly what he was supposed to do and worried about it at night and couldn't sleep.

What a terrible, awful mess. What pain for all.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:01 AM
Default Cover up!

It made me ill when, yesterday, his defense was he had "17 grandchildren". So??

Also, the number of people rioting because of his firing is very disconcerting. I will blame this on 'youth', but this is our best and brightest?

So MANY to fire and get rid of.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Veteran member

The grand jury report can be found on line. Form your own opinions if you can get through it.

The defense of Joe reminds of the classic "I was just following orders" defense.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-document.html
Old 11-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Gold member

What about the graduate student who is said to have witnessed something in a locker room? Why didn't he go to police??? It's a mess. I'm sorry to say but it's just another example of men with power attempting to sweep things under the rug in hopes that the problem will just go away quietly.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
What about the graduate student who is said to have witnessed something in a locker room? Why didn't he go to police??? It's a mess. I'm sorry to say but it's just another example of men with power attempting to sweep things under the rug in hopes that the problem will just go away quietly.
Why didn't he stop what he saw? He's still a coach on the team. He's not exactly a little guy. No doubt he could have handled a 60 year old man abusing a 10 year old in a shower. His lack of action at the time are really disturbing.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Default Grad student

I read in the beginning that the grad student was now an assistant coach at Penn State. Pay off possibly?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.