Beware EMAil Phishing appears to be from Apple

Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2022, 03:20 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts
Default Beware EMAil Phishing appears to be from Apple

The following is circulating. If you have an iCloud account, DO NOT CLICK ON THE EMAIL. (You can click on this picture of it, I have neutered this so it can't harm you).

Report this to Apple by forwarding the email to: reportphishing@apple.com
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 4.12.22 PM.jpg
Views:	2308
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	93277  
Old 04-07-2022, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,043 Times in 5,334 Posts

Thankfully most of the people who do this do not use an email that even looks like it comes from the company they say they are from.
Old 04-07-2022, 03:43 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Thankfully most of the people who do this do not use an email that even looks like it comes from the company they say they are from.
Yup, so true.

We need to keep reminding people, NEVER EVER click on links in emails from anyone - even if it looks like it is coming from a friend or relative. If you get a link from a friend or relative, ask them if it is real, and/or type it into your web browser, don't click it.

I know if sounds like over kill, but you will regret having your bank account emptied...
Old 04-07-2022, 04:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:

exactly
Old 04-07-2022, 08:47 PM

I always then look at the fishy email it comes from like: pinklady$$$@∂EÒDy.cn
Old 04-08-2022, 06:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,665 Times in 1,503 Posts

Hate thieves and scammers. Wish computers were able to 100% identify and locate scammer computer, send a tracer "pulse" back to it and blow it up. Not nuclear, just big enough to takeout the scammer/thief.
😈
Old 04-08-2022, 07:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,043 Times in 5,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Hate thieves and scammers. Wish computers were able to 100% identify and locate scammer computer, send a tracer "pulse" back to it and blow it up. Not nuclear, just big enough to takeout the scammer/thief.
😈
When you invent it will be first on line to buy it.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:16 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
😈
You are not alone. It is being worked on, but as you can imagine the entire world is using the internet now, and changing it will be hard and expensive. It was originally just a way for professors to share documents and chat. So, there was little to no security designed it.

There are several groups trying to figure out a way to solve the problem. We will probably have three internets soon, this one for "playing around", a "secure" internet for anything financial, and the dark web for people who feel the need to be secretive.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
...and yet there are still millions of people who fall for it, because millions of people don't pay attention to what they're clicking. That's why these scammers are so successful.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
Yup, so true.

We need to keep reminding people, NEVER EVER click on links in emails from anyone - even if it looks like it is coming from a friend or relative. If you get a link from a friend or relative, ask them if it is real, and/or type it into your web browser, don't click it.

I know if sounds like over kill, but you will regret having your bank account emptied...
A cousin keeps sending "forwards" of e-mails with linked videos and websites and animated memes. I keep telling her I don't read them, I don't even open them, I just delete them because they're a security risk. She says a friend sent them to her so she knows they're safe. I gave up trying to explain that her friend didn't send them "to her." She sent it to everyone on her address list, as she was instructed to do at the bottom of that forwarded "message."

It's like some folks have totally forgotten how intrusive and annoying and potentially dangerous "chain letters" used to be, back in the days of actual chain letters.

They always ended up scamming people out of money (remember you'd get a dollar back from 10,000 people if everyone followed the chain by forwarding a copy of the letter on, and sending $1 back to the person named on the top of the list?)

It was a scam then, it's a scam now. Don't even OPEN forwarded mail from ANYONE, not even your mom, unless you personally requested it.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:44 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
A cousin keeps sending "forwards" of e-mails with linked videos and websites and animated memes. I keep telling her I don't read them, I don't even open them, I just delete them because they're a security risk. She says a friend sent them to her so she knows they're safe. I gave up trying to explain that her friend didn't send them "to her." She sent it to everyone on her address list, as she was instructed to do at the bottom of that forwarded "message."

It's like some folks have totally forgotten how intrusive and annoying and potentially dangerous "chain letters" used to be, back in the days of actual chain letters.

They always ended up scamming people out of money (remember you'd get a dollar back from 10,000 people if everyone followed the chain by forwarding a copy of the letter on, and sending $1 back to the person named on the top of the list?)

It was a scam then, it's a scam now. Don't even OPEN forwarded mail from ANYONE, not even your mom, unless you personally requested it.
Sadly, I agree. And there is a simple solution that would solve the problem and protect everyone. And it is incredibly easy to implement. DON'T CLICK LINKS IN EMAILS.

That's it. It is that simple. If NO ONE did it, the scammers would not make any money doing it, and would stop. The only reason they do it is people fall for it and they make money. The same is true of the spam phone calls, if no one fell for them, they would stop.
Old 04-09-2022, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
Sadly, I agree. And there is a simple solution that would solve the problem and protect everyone. And it is incredibly easy to implement. DON'T CLICK LINKS IN EMAILS.

That's it. It is that simple. If NO ONE did it, the scammers would not make any money doing it, and would stop. The only reason they do it is people fall for it and they make money. The same is true of the spam phone calls, if no one fell for them, they would stop.
Wish it was easy. Most of us enjoy the convenience of the Talk of the Villages email and safely CLICKED the email link to get here. Unfortunately, scammers are slowly getting better and better at looking like our trusted emails. We are flooded daily with emails that MOST should NOT be trusted. Hopefully they will get better and better at taking these scamming creeps down.
Old 04-09-2022, 06:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
😈
If that happened, your “Ex” would blow up your computer if you sent her/him a message they didn’t like.
Closed Thread

Tags
email, click, apple, picture, beware

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.