CenturyLink Internet

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2021, 05:46 PM
Platinum member
Default CenturyLink Internet

I would like some user experiences with CenturyLink Internet service. I am north of 466. CenturyLink’s website shows two speed levels available for my address. Up to 940 Mbps for $65.00 per month or up to 100 Mbps for $49.00 per month. Both list the modem as free.

My questions about the CenturyLink service are:
Which service do you have?
What are your actual speeds?
How much streaming do you do?
What is the actual cost, service + fees and taxes?

Lastly has anyone used the CenturyLink service as a negotiating tool with Comcast to reduce their Internet only service?

I am a longtime Comcast customer with their triple play service. My Internet speed is 200+ Mbps. I am happy with the service, but their cost keeps creeping up. My package expires at the end of the year and I want to start exploring my options.

Thanks for your replies.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We have 80 megabits per second download and 40 megabits per second upload via fiber to the house. This was the sweet spot in the one-price-for-life offering when we switched over from an older legacy pricing structure with various discounts that expired periodically.

We realize these speeds as measured by Speedtest.

We stream pretty much everything. The download bandwidth we have greatly exceeds what we can use. Typically, with 2 TVs streaming 1080p Hi-Def we are only using 6-10 megabits per second bandwidth.

We pay $45 per month one-price-for-life including all fees and taxes. We have our own router.

I have never considered another vendor.

Be aware that the 940 megabits per second service is not one-price-for-life. They can increase the price. The 100 megabits per second service for $49 is one-price-for-life. It won’t change unless you change the service level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I would like some user experiences with CenturyLink Internet service. I am north of 466. CenturyLink’s website shows two speed levels available for my address. Up to 940 Mbps for $65.00 per month or up to 100 Mbps for $49.00 per month. Both list the modem as free.

My questions about the CenturyLink service are:
Which service do you have?
What are your actual speeds?
How much streaming do you do?
What is the actual cost, service + fees and taxes?

Lastly has anyone used the CenturyLink service as a negotiating tool with Comcast to reduce their Internet only service?

I am a longtime Comcast customer with their triple play service. My Internet speed is 200+ Mbps. I am happy with the service, but their cost keeps creeping up. My package expires at the end of the year and I want to start exploring my options.

Thanks for your replies.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-01-2021 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

We have had Century Link for a few years ever since dumping Comcast a few years back. Couldn't be happier. I think we're paying $55 a month. I don't know what the speed, 45mps maybe, is exactly but it's plenty enough fast for 2 TV's, 2 computers and 2 smart phones. Never had a problem.

Dropping Comcast was one of the highlights of my Villages adventure.
Old 03-13-2021, 04:26 PM
Veteran member

North of 466 doesn't have fiber optic. I'd also be interested to hear from others up North.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 03-13-2021, 04:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logdog View Post
North of 466 doesn't have fiber optic. I'd also be interested to hear from others up North.
Never mind... I just checked my address on the Century Link website and they only offer 10mbps speed at $49 per month.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 03-13-2021, 07:29 PM

Check your area. Just had mine installed one month ago, just north of 466 and couldn't be happier. I was a Comcast subscriber for over 20 years, but last few years went from 50 to $90. I was always happy with the service not the price.

I opted for the one gig service at $65 and the speed is usually around 170 to 200 megs download and more for uploads through out the home with about 8 devices( ring doorbell, thermostat, TV, 3 computers, etc. ) I had to change all the passwords, that was annoying. CL provides free modem and router and doesn't charge for excess data like Comcast does. It is not a price for life like the 100 meg, but I guess i can always downgrade to 100 if I want in the future. Everything is done on line to sign up. I find they are difficult to contact by phone for service. The install was a a bit less than I expected. They did not come when expected and it was a sub-contractor that dug the line one day and a tech that brought the hardware and did the final hook up, also a sub a few days later. I'm happy with the speed and ok with the price. I will re-post if any thing changes.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inda50 View Post
I opted for the one gig service at $65 and the speed is usually around 170 to 200 megs download.
getting 20% of the rated speed means that something is wrong. either the one gig service is incorrect, or you have a slow modem, router or switch in the house.

a one gig service should easily be near a gig download, but not sure of your equipment.

I had 100 MB, and got 85-105 download, now have 400 MB, and testing the service on Saturday morning, I got 450 download. most cable internet is assymetric, meaning high download, slow upload, unless there is a very modern high speed cable system.

i have a gigabyte router and a gigabyte switch. .. which is required for the gigabyte service

sportsguy
Old 03-15-2021, 08:07 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Is Centurylink available in the Winifred area, by Palmer?
Old 03-15-2021, 02:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

It is best to call them or check your address on their website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Is Centurylink available in the Winifred area, by Palmer?
Closed Thread

Tags
service, internet, centurylink, mbps, actual

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.