Samsung TV

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2016, 11:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts
Default Samsung TV

While in Sam's Club yesterday I was watching the news on a Samsung 85 inch Television. It was almost like having the reporter with me in person. Other than the price $7995 what other negative has anyone experienced with a whopper size TV...is it really worth it? My last purchase was a 42" Panasonic that we found to be not obnoxious. In a Patio Villa what is the best size to buy in your opinion? Thank You In Advance.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

You were probably watching one of the new 4K televisions. It's not so much the brand but the features.

Having said that, I have a friend who is in the television business and he says that Samsung and LG are the best right now. They have the newest technology and features. But, I doubt that most of us would see any appreciable difference in any of the 4K televisions.

I bought a state of the art 47" LG when we first moved here and of course within a short time, 4K came out. I'll be going for a 60-65" 4K soon.

The thing about television and a lot of tech products is that they prices are the highest when they are first introduced. As new technologies become old the prices drop.

I once asked a computer expert which is the best computer to buy. He replied, the one that comes out the day after you buy your.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:18 PM
Gold member

For my patio villa I bought a 50" Sony, which has been quite satisfactory for me!
That said, You will probably get many differing opinions on what is a good size.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:19 PM
Sage

I was in Best Buy this week experiencing the same awe of the 4k T.V.s. They had some for just $2000. I would feel much better about spending that much on a TV. The 3D T.V.'s were awesome also. We bought a Samsung. If you are thinking of purchasing you can go on line to Amazon and read the reviews. That's what we did before we bought our two new 40 inchers. Our last TV cost $1200 and it only lasted 4 years. The TV before that cost $400 and lasted 12 years. There is no way to tell. When purchasing be sure not to get one too big for the room. I measured the distance from my chair to where the TV would be and then took those measurements to Best Buy and stepped it off. That way you can tell what is a comfortable size for the room.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Unless you have a really large living room, 85 inches seems a bit on the large size. We have a stretched Gardenia, and the original TV in the living room was a 65 inch, which worked really well until it died. Repairs were estimated at several hundred $, so we took the 55 inch from the lanai, and are using it in the living room. Works very well. We will be replacing the 55 inch with another 65 inch, not sure if we are going to 4K. The reason is there is not much 4K material available. Also, while these TVs maybe repairable the parts and service are so costly that you may just consider them to be throw away, therefore I am looking to spend around $1500 or less.
ALL of the above is my humble opinion.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:52 PM
Sage

I was allowed to buy a 55" Sony 4K TV at the Thanksgiving day sale. I think it was $999, and when I got a Best Buy credit card I got a $100 certificate.

Previous TV was 46'ish. I really do love it. One thing to consider is that most stuff you watch is not 4K. Comes down to the ability of the computer in the TV to upscale.

That said, streaming a 4K video from the smart TV is amazing...

After a few months, I said to my wife, we could use s bigger TV

My opinion, like golf drivers, buy 2-3 years BEHIND the curve, never pay for the latest. In HD, they are not even sure what the next thing will be ...
Old 04-16-2016, 02:26 PM

The next is 8k.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberschaf View Post
The next is 8k.

What will be the benefit/added value of 8k?
Old 04-16-2016, 04:18 PM
Gold member
Smile

I have a 55" Sony 4K tv with 3d. I love it. There are not many programs sent in 4K but the upscaling to 4K works great. I wish I had gotten a larger tv, 65" or better but cannot see doing it with our present TV. We originally had a high def. 55" in the living room and it was replaced with the present 4k tv. We thought of selling it but the sales price of this Sony 55" hd was too low so we had Tom install it on our bedroom wall. We're happy with the setup so far.

As to the Smart TV setup we don't use it because we have ROKU and if we wanted to watch something with the smart tv we would lose our surround sound as the tv sound plays instead of the surround system.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 04-16-2016, 05:05 PM
Sage

The maximum size tv is one half the distance from your eyes to the tv. But in general bigger is better. I have found smart tvs not to be as smart as a roku or amazon fire.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
size, samsung, advance, purchase, panasonic, opinion, worth, buy, obnoxious, patio, villa, found, negative, news, inch, television, watching, sams, club, yesterday, $7995, experienced, price, reporter, person

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.