What Happened to All the Computer Geeks?

Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2021, 06:58 AM
Default What Happened to All the Computer Geeks?

Good morning, all.
I haven't been on TOTV for some time. I remember there being a few really good geeks on here that offered IT services, help, and advice. Now, I am unable to find anything. Has everyone folded to using The Geek Squad or other businesses not advertised here?
I have an older (8 yrs old maybe?) HP all-in-one Envy 23 computer that Best Buy has basically told me to "give it up and buy a new one." I did order a new one; however, I am concerned that I am unable to fix what once was a perfectly good desktop.
When my new all-in-one arrives, I have to take back the old one so they can read the drive to save data I had put on there oh-so-long-ago.
Is anyone out there that can expound on this? Older computers can no longer be upgraded and made "somewhat like new" anymore?

Any thoughts, advice appreciated! Thank you!

BekaJayne
Old 07-26-2021, 07:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,582 Times in 1,498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BekaJayne View Post
Good morning, all.
I haven't been on TOTV for some time. I remember there being a few really good geeks on here that offered IT services, help, and advice. Now, I am unable to find anything. Has everyone folded to using The Geek Squad or other businesses not advertised here?
I have an older (8 yrs old maybe?) HP all-in-one Envy 23 computer that Best Buy has basically told me to "give it up and buy a new one." I did order a new one; however, I am concerned that I am unable to fix what once was a perfectly good desktop.
When my new all-in-one arrives, I have to take back the old one so they can read the drive to save data I had put on there oh-so-long-ago.
Is anyone out there that can expound on this? Older computers can no longer be upgraded and made "somewhat like new" anymore?

BekaJayne
Often, it isn't your computer, but the programs. Your computer might be doing everything it was ever designed to do and more, but programs evolve, become larger, become more complicated, are designed to run with more sophisticated OS, etc. Your computer might simply be unable to meet the demands of the new stuff out there.

Can you fix your current one? You can do stuff like add RAM, replace the HD with something newer and faster, and it might help a little, but in the end it is simply that you won't be able to teach that old dog enough new tricks to satisfy you. Your old one might make a passable backup but I doubt you will ever be satisfied with it.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,305 Times in 2,025 Posts

Depending on what data you need transferred, if you can get the old one working you can do some things yourself. The easiest way would be to get one of the cloud accounts (DropBox, GoogleDrive, OneDrive, or maybe even AppleDrive) and copy your data to that. Then simply mount it to your new computer and copy the data back. Or, what I do is store almost all my data on the cloud drive instead of my computer and that way I have access to it wherever I am.

If you cannot get the old computer working you *might* be able to remove the hard drive and put it into a portable drive case. This would allow you to attach the old drive to a new computer via USB and pull your data off that way.

If Best Buy is willing to do the work for free then it's hard to beat that. If they are planning to charge you big bucks then you might want to look at those cheaper alternatives.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-26-2021, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

Quote:
Good morning, all.

BekaJayne
It looks like the HP Envy 23 came with Windows 8. If so, you definitely need a new computer. Windows 8 is no longer supported, and the new version coming out this year is Windows 11. Even some of the Windows 10 computers will not be upgradable to Windows 11. I would make sure that the new computer either has Windows 11 or can be upgraded to Windows 11. If your Envy 23 still works, why not just copy your data to a flash drive and transfer it to the new computer? Small flash drives are now available with up to 1TB of data storage. Unless you use the data regularly, I wouldn't bother with a cloud drive to just transfer the data to a new computer.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Good morning, all.

BekaJayne
I have all my files I want to save saved. When computer goes. I take it apart and smash the hard drive disk, and memory chips. IMO if computer over 5 years only not worth it to try to revive it. I still have old windows 98 computer I refuse to give up for the games.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

New computers can be upgraded, but, I agree with the previous post, if that came with Windows 8 it is way past time to replace it.

You didn't mention what is wrong with it - what are the symptoms. Maybe one of us can save your data, assuming the store is going to charge you for that service.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:57 AM
Veteran member

While "smashing" the hard drive will keep anyone from getting your data, the memory does not retain anything. Once the power is turned off the memory is wiped out, nothing there.

Having said that I have been converting old PCs to LINUX. It is a free operating system that just works. It gives old PCs new life. If you do not use any "special" Windows programs (I.E. Quicken, TurboTax, Autocad or thing like that) then it will work for you.
I replace your hard drive with one that has LINUX on it, I copy your file, music, pictures, etc. to the LINUX drive. Since I use old drives for the next person, I can erase your old drive while there or you can give me $50, which I will give back to you once I get your old drive (which I will erase in front of you).

JoelJohnson530@gmail.com
Old 07-27-2021, 11:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,854 Times in 893 Posts

The problem with the old computer is the hardware, and the chipset instruction sets available to the software to use, both applications and operating systems. The newer softwares access more updated chipset instructions for activities like security, and new instructions sets for power consumption and application computations for graphics and calculations.

Basic rule of thumb, is that computer hardware has a usable life span of a maximum of about 5 years. . . after that, its time to get a new one if you want to keep your computer as secure and interoperable with the interwebs as possible.

Likewise, if you upgrade to higher bandwidth of internet services offered by the cable companies, the computer must be able to handle that level of throughput speed in the networking components, which are now part of the mother board or the chipsets in the cpu and mother board. . . so if you buy faster internet speed but have a 5 plus year old computer, you are wasting your network spend as you can't use all that you purchased.

computer guy
Old 10-26-2021, 02:20 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,706 Times in 761 Posts

Cost benefit of holding on to old computers is low. Replace them every 4 years or less. Keep data on external drive or in cloud
Old 10-31-2021, 06:41 PM
Default Computer help

Go to this listing of Villagers who will come to your house for a reasonable fee.
TECH HELP - The VILLAGES COMPUTER CLUB Inc.
Closed Thread

Tags
good, unable, all-in-one, buy, advice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.