WiFi. Hooking wifi up from the front room in the Lantana, where the power source is.

Closed Thread
Old 12-26-2022, 02:44 PM
Default WiFi. Hooking wifi up from the front room in the Lantana, where the power source is.

Need suggestions about hooking up wifi from the source (located in the front bedroom of the Lantana) to the living room. I have a new Nighthawk AC1900 CABLE MODEM ROUTER.......is anything else needed to complete this project?.......
Old 12-27-2022, 09:58 AM

You need:
1) a working internet outlet connection in your front room.
2) The required cables (usually provided with your new modem)
3) The required log in credentials from your internet provider to connect the modem to their service

You may have to call your internet service to have them “allow” your modem to connect to their service

The biggest question is whether the outlet connection in your front room is connected to your internet service provider. For example, if your home previously had xfinity cable internet in the front room and your provider is xfinity cable then everything should be fine.

But if the internet provider is different or the internet modem was placed in a different room, then internet may not work until you get the front room outlet working.

Easiest thing to do now, is to connect everything, power up, enter your login credentials and hope it works.

If it doesn't work then, it may be easiest to pay the installation fee and have your provider find the problem
Old 12-27-2022, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,144 Times in 2,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladila389 View Post
Need suggestions about hooking up wifi from the source (located in the front bedroom of the Lantana) to the living room. I have a new Nighthawk AC1900 CABLE MODEM ROUTER.......is anything else needed to complete this project?.......
Your question is confusing, are you looking to MOVE the Wi-Fi from the front room to the living room? If so, you will need to determine if the cable connection in the living room is 'live', is it connected in the low voltage box in the garage (or other location) to the cable providers splitter? If so you should just be able to disconnect the cable and move the modem to the new location. If the cable to the living room is not connected, then you may need to install a connector, etc. You cable provider can do this ($$$), some handymen can do this ($$), I have done this in our house. Send me a PM with your phone number if you would like to discuss further.
Old 01-04-2023, 11:52 AM
Veteran member

I have a Lantana and my xfinity modem/router is in the front bedroom for a couple of reasons. If you are only going to have 1 router in your house, this is the worst place to put the router.
Since I did enterprise networks years ago, I rewired all my cat6 wires from the original phone jacks to Ethernet rj45. I hook up a Ethernet cable from the xfinity router in the front bedroom (all cat6 cables terminate in the network box in the garage and I put in a 1G network switch to hook up all the cat6 cables in this box) and then I use the Ethernet jack above the refrigerator cabinets to go into a mesh network router which I place above the microwave so it broadcasts the wifi signal throughout the house more efficiently. I then hook up more mesh slave routers throughout the house. I get almost 800Mb wifi speeds anywhere in the house.
Closed Thread

Tags
wifi, lantana, hooking, source, room

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.