Ad remover

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexxfan View Post
I find Windows Defender more than good enough as an anti virus. If you have Windows 10, it's built-in.
--
bc
Would you say Windows Defender is as good as, or maybe even a better choice than Avast Free?
Old 01-15-2019, 07:12 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

Just installed Ad Blocker Plus, working fine.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
Would you say Windows Defender is as good as, or maybe even a better choice than Avast Free?
Yes, but mostly because Defender is built-in and doesn't require the use of any tricks that other AV's use to inject themselves into the low levels of the operating system they need access to in order to do their job. Those same tricks can sometimes be exploited by malware to give the malware the same low level access. That's something you don't want to happen. Finally, now that Defender can be configured to run in a so-called "sandbox" (a software construct that prevents any malicious code that might get loose inside a process from having any access to things outside that process) you're going to be about as safe as you can realistically be. The sandboxing capability is relatively new. I don't know of any third party antivirus that offers it. Here's an article describing it in more detail:

Microsoft Sandboxes Windows Defender

Last edited by rexxfan; 01-17-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Yes, but mostly because Defender is built-in and doesn't require the use of any tricks that other AV's use to inject themselves into the low levels of the operating system they need access to in order to do their job. Those same tricks can sometimes be exploited by malware to give the malware the same low level access. That's something you don't want to happen. Finally, now that Defender can be configured to run in a so-called "sandbox" (a software construct that prevents any malicious code that might get loose inside a process from having any access to things outside that process) you're going to be about as safe as you can realistically be.
Rexxfan, you are obviously very knowledgeable about computers.
Will I have a problem if I have Windows Defender installed, and also Avast Premium, Norton, and Webroot.
Webroot was installed by the Geek Squad because we bought six appliances at Best Buy.
Should I deactivate those protections?
Old 01-18-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Rexxfan, you are obviously very knowledgeable about computers.
Will I have a problem if I have Windows Defender installed, and also Avast Premium, Norton, and Webroot.
Webroot was installed by the Geek Squad because we bought six appliances at Best Buy.
Should I deactivate those protections?
You definitely only want one anti-virus. Here's a quick explanation why.
https://www.kaspersky.com/resource-c...virus-products
Old 01-18-2019, 09:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
You definitely only want one anti-virus. Here's a quick explanation why.
https://www.kaspersky.com/resource-c...virus-products
Thanks.
Closed Thread

Tags
remover, costs, $40.00, buy, yearly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.