Advice on cutting the cable chord

Closed Thread
Old 05-21-2015, 01:55 PM
Default Advice on cutting the cable chord

I want to 'cut the chord' (I currently have Dish TV). I'd like some recommendations for installation of an attic antenna so I can get network TV. Then I need to get a broadband hookup (I currently use a portable Verizon Jetpack) so I can use a Roku and/or Netflix and/or Amazon Prime.

Is there a technician who can:
a) Give me unbiased and unaffiliated advice on what I need
b) Install and hook up whatever I purchase?

Advice desperately needed, I'm sick and tired of paying for channels that promise to improve my neck, sell me jewelry, help me lose weight and so on.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We have done this. We have an antenna in the attic that pulls in 50 stations from Orlando. We really only watch the network stations (NBC, ABC, FOX, and CBS) and a few others. There are a lot of Spanish and Religious stations. The network stations are in Hi-Def.

We also watch Netflix and Hulu+ and some other Roku "stations". This setup has worked well for us. We use CenturyLink for internet only. Any internet provider will work fine. You need 3-5 Mbits/sec download performance for Netflix for Hi-Def (per TV).

I would recommend that you contact Tom at TheVillagesAV.com. He installed the antenna in our attic and also wall mounted a couple of TVs for us. He is highly recommended. Tom may be able to suggest some other options - he is a Comcast dealer also and Comcast might also be a good choice for you depending on whether there are "cable" stations that you really want to have access to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
I want to 'cut the chord' (I currently have Dish TV). I'd like some recommendations for installation of an attic antenna so I can get network TV. Then I need to get a broadband hookup (I currently use a portable Verizon Jetpack) so I can use a Roku and/or Netflix and/or Amazon Prime.

Is there a technician who can:
a) Give me unbiased and unaffiliated advice on what I need
b) Install and hook up whatever I purchase?

Advice desperately needed, I'm sick and tired of paying for channels that promise to improve my neck, sell me jewelry, help me lose weight and so on.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:15 PM
Veteran member

Take a look at Sling TV it gives you networks like HGTV History Channel etc.cost is 20 per month but works really well
Old 05-21-2015, 02:24 PM

I would also recommend Tom at Villages AV.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin and Luci View Post
I would also recommend Tom at Villages AV.
me too
Old 05-23-2015, 05:39 PM

Thank you everyone. I'll contact Tom at Villages AV
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.