Advice regarding changing cell phone providers

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2018, 03:47 PM
Default Advice regarding changing cell phone providers

We are switching from ATT to Verizons. because of poor reception where we live in Maine.

One of our phones was new enough and compatible with Verizon .Bought one new phone and opened Verizon account.

The phone we are trying to port to Verizon we discovered is locked by ATT. This phone was purchased new from Apple, and I find it hard to believe that ATT can have it locked. Any how I requested it be unlocked two days ago and recently discovered it was in suspend mode and it would take at least three more business days before it is unlocked.

That will make it almost a week and maybe we will have use of our second phone.

If your are going to change providers make sure you get phone unlocked before you open new account.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You bought an android phone from APPLE? Makes no sense.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 11-15-2018, 04:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJOHNS2654 View Post
We are switching from ATT to Verizons. because of poor reception where we live in Maine.

One of our phones was new enough and compatible with Verizon .Bought one new phone and opened Verizon account.

The phone we are trying to port to Verizon we discovered is locked by ATT. This phone was purchased new from Apple, and I find it hard to believe that ATT can have it locked. Any how I requested it be unlocked two days ago and recently discovered it was in suspend mode and it would take at least three more business days before it is unlocked.

If your are going to change providers make sure you get phone unlocked before you open new account.
When you buy an iPhone from Apple, you specify which carrier will be used. This is a long standing policy, although from what I understand now is that you can buy an unlocked phone. I'm not sure what your point of contention is, but it's not Apple's fault that you changed carriers mid-stream.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
You bought an android phone from APPLE? Makes no sense.
Who said anything about an Android phone?
Old 11-15-2018, 06:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,597 Times in 5,193 Posts

I don't really understand the posts on this thread, but you should always port your number to a new service provider before you cancel the old service. Otherwise, you could risk losing your phone number. I don't know if you can unlock the phone without canceling the old service.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJOHNS2654 View Post

Your message is a bit unclear.

Apple sells their devices 3 ways:

At a carrier store or through the carrier via Apple either with (1) monthly payments OR (2) PAID in full. These are always locked. If paid in full they will unlock (it used to be immediately) but starting recently there is a "hold time". I think only the T-Mobile version comes unlocked through a carrier store - at least it used to, not sure if it still does.

And (3) "SIM FREE" and must be paid in full with no carrier specified. This is fully unlocked out the door and you choose your supported carrier and get one of their sims. You can ONLY get SIM FREE from APPLE.COM or at an APPLE STORE not through or at a carrier store or website.

Not sure which version you got but ONLY the last one is unlocked "out the door." With the others you are at the carriers mercy. The fact an AT&T phone is compatible with Verizon or T-Mobile does not have anything to do with whether it is locked or unlocked or how soon they will unlock it if paid in full.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-11-15_21-57-43.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	77385  

Last edited by EdFNJ; 11-15-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
You can ONLY get SIM FREE from APPLE.COM or at an APPLE STORE not through or at a carrier store or website.
It depends on which iPhone you are buying. At BestBuy you can buy an unlocked iPhoneX.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Who said anything about an Android phone?
Well, I guess I learned something today. I always thought an apple phone could only be used with iPhone software. Never knew they could be on AT&T, Verizon or any other carrier.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Closed Thread

Tags
phone, att, unlocked, verizon, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.