Amazon Fire TV

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2022, 04:27 PM
Default Amazon Fire TV

Hi all!

Our current guests are getting prompted for an update on the Amazon Fire TV, and despite me providing the account/password they cannot get seem to get the TV to work. Does anyone have any ideas, or someone you can recommend that could do a "tech" house call? Thank you in advance!

(see attached images)

Wesley
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	43b93b5d11042d1e1cdefa354f93c1b4424b0e7e-1.jpg
Views:	2777
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	96000   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	43b93b5d11042d1e1cdefa354f93c1b4424b0e7e-2.jpg
Views:	2589
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	96001  
Old 12-03-2022, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjudge View Post
Hi all!

Our current guests are getting prompted for an update on the Amazon Fire TV, and despite me providing the account/password they cannot get seem to get the TV to work. Does anyone have any ideas, or someone you can recommend that could do a "tech" house call? Thank you in advance!

(see attached images)

Wesley
It looks like they are trying to update the Xfinity streaming app on the fire device and the update is asking for a new software version on the fire device. I’m not sure how to force an update on the fire device, that usually happens automatically if it is possible.

Is it possible your fire stick or fire tv is too old to support the new version of the Xfinity app?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 12-03-2022, 04:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

If you have a fire stick, why are you using xfinity. If you have xfinity stream, there will be a xfinity remote to do what you need.
Old 12-03-2022, 04:49 PM

In response to the questions thus far:

-the TV is approximately one year old (curiously, the second TV in the bedroom, which was purchased at the same time, is operating fine)
-I do not have a fire stick; my understanding is that the TV has redundant functionality to a fire stick (hence the moniker "Fire TV")
-I do not have cable, therefore there is no Xfinity remote - there is only the app

This "update screen" comes up immediately upon powering on the TV.

I appreciate the responses, and thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by mtgjudge; 12-03-2022 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts
Old 12-03-2022, 05:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,589 Times in 934 Posts

It Looks like like trying to download the xfinity app from Amazon. Not sure why, could be comcast is paying amazon to force this.

You would want an amazon id and password (app is free, dont worry about cost) not the TV id and password.
Old 12-03-2022, 05:56 PM

Yes, I gave the guest my Amazon ID & password, but for some reason they cannot get it to work. Very difficult for me to help troubleshoot from 1500 miles away, so I hoping to find someone local that I could hire to make the service call.

Our homewatcher used to do technology "house calls", but he went out and got a full-time job so he longer does the side business.
Old 12-03-2022, 05:58 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,030 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:
Hi all!

(see attached images)

Wesley
As Bill said above, it sounds like someone is making things way more difficult than they have to be. Obviously, the TV is getting an Internet Feed .... that's all an Amazon Fire TV needs. Forget XFINITY, they're only supplying the Internet Connection ... nothing more, nothing less.

When you fire up an Amazon Fire TV, with an active Internet Connection (wireless), it should immediately boot with the Fire TV and various selections & Apps. If an update is needed for the TV, it will automatically load.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but it's stupid, simple with Fire TV.
Old 12-03-2022, 06:29 PM

Okay, would you please explain it to me then so I can get them back up and running, and I will not be offended if it's dumbed wayyyyyy down!

Last edited by mtgjudge; 12-03-2022 at 06:30 PM. Reason: my emojis appeared as random symbols
Old 12-03-2022, 06:42 PM

Oh, and just for clarity....without the Xfinity app running, there is no cable TV - which is the crux of the problem. It worked fine for over a year until yesterday.

(I know I can rent a cable box and pay for regular cable in addition to the wifi I already pay for, but that is not in the budget currently.)
Old 12-03-2022, 06:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Okay, would you please explain it to me then so I can get them back up and running, and I will not be offended if it's dumbed wayyyyyy down!
According to the 1st photo you posted, the TV is working perfectly fine. They just have to Select FireTV apps at the top of the screen. Choose the App they want or chose "Your Apps & Subscriptions" and watch whatever they wish, that you subscribe to.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Oh, and just for clarity....without the Xfinity app running, there is no cable TV - which is the crux of the problem. It worked fine for over a year until yesterday.

(I know I can rent a cable box and pay for regular cable in addition to the wifi I already pay for, but that is not in the budget currently.)

That's not true. "Cable" TV isn't available via an APP, unless you're paying for "Cable". The Xfinity APP has nothing to do with a FireTV, other than it's an "App", like Peacock, Amazon Prime, Netflex, Hulu.

No offense intended, but I think you're confused about what you have and use for TV. "Cable TV" is exactly what it sounds like ... it comes on a Cable. "Streaming" is what a FireTV does and that's a horse of another color (it can also access "Cable", but you don't have it).

1. Click the "Home Button" on the remote.
2. Navigate to the "Gear" icon, which should be on the far right of the screen.
3. Click the Gear.
4. Navigate to "Network".
5. Click Network. If it's connected to your Internet Network, your TV is working fine. If not, connect it (Network Name + Password)
6. Go back to the Home Screen
7. Click any "App" and there you go!

Last edited by BrianL99; 12-03-2022 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:46 PM

My guess would be the TV operating system wants to update. I have to do this every once in awhile to mine. Most TVs use an android operating system.
Old 12-04-2022, 06:59 AM
Default Fire TV

Quote:
Hi all!

(see attached images)

Wesley
Call Tom at Audio Visual Repair. He is probably crazy busy, but maybe worth a try. 352 388 1677
Old 12-04-2022, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,593 Times in 5,190 Posts

If you have an unused HDMI input on the TV, buy a Roku streaming stick from Amazon, currently on sale for $31, or from Best Buy, for about $39. It will already have the Xfinity streaming app where you can log on with your Xfinity user name and password. Note that you may need to register the device with a code before you can use the app.
Old 12-04-2022, 07:35 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,960 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:

It's not in the budget you renting your dwelling it's an up-charge on the lease to recover the fee
Closed Thread

Tags
amazon, fire, guests, recommend, tech

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.