Amazon Fire TV

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2022, 07:56 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

I called the Xfinity help line and a nice lady help walk me thru this. Just need your passwords. Give it a try.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
That's not true. "Cable" TV isn't available via an APP, unless you're paying for "Cable". The Xfinity APP has nothing to do with a FireTV, other than it's an "App", like Peacock, Amazon Prime, Netflex, Hulu.

No offense intended, but I think you're confused about what you have and use for TV. "Cable TV" is exactly what it sounds like ... it comes on a Cable. "Streaming" is what a FireTV does and that's a horse of another color (it can also access "Cable", but you don't have it).

1. Click the "Home Button" on the remote.
2. Navigate to the "Gear" icon, which should be on the far right of the screen.
3. Click the Gear.
4. Navigate to "Network".
5. Click Network. If it's connected to your Internet Network, your TV is working fine. If not, connect it (Network Name + Password)
6. Go back to the Home Screen
7. Click any "App" and there you go!
Thanks to all that are responding. Let me preface this by saying both TVs have worked successfully in the form they have been using it for over a year. My Xfinity cable/internet plan allows me to get internet as well as local and some basic cable channels through the app. There is no antenna attached to the TV. All the channels come through the cable provider.

A few days ago, one of the TVs started not letting the user access any of the TV functions (i.e. "watch TV"). It's now a giant paperweight asking for an update that my guest cannot seem to execute on.

It's very difficult for me (and collectively, you) to troubleshoot/diagnose what is going on when we do not have access to the TV and the end user is (apparently) not at all tech savvy or proficient with smart TVs/apps and such.

When we purchased the TV and cable plans, we considered a Roku stick but that would just add another variable (and remote) into the mix. The Fire TV has that functionality built-in, using the same remote and (in theory) simpler to navigate than a Roku or something similar. Respectfully, I'm not looking at changing any of the plans/formats with the TVs in the home; I'm just looking to get this device updated so it can be back in service and enjoyed by our guests.

At this point, I have passed on the "check for internet connectivity" steps that Bill generously provided. They also will call tech support today to hopefully have someone walk them through the fix. However, my fail safe I think still needs to be a "tech house call" person. It doesn't have to be someone with copious tech credentials; just someone who is used to and experienced in this era of technology and associated applications. Think the TV repair man's version of a "handyman." I had one such person whom I used, but as I mentioned he has taken another job and has moved on from that service.

Thanks again for everyone's continued contributions.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
I called the Xfinity help line and a nice lady help walk me thru this. Just need your passwords. Give it a try.
Yes - terrific advice! They are calling the TV manufacturer tech support first, since it seems to be an issue with the firmware/software. It's not clear to me if they can actually get to the Xfinity app, so I started the process with Insignia first.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
If you have an unused HDMI input on the TV, buy a Roku streaming stick from Amazon, currently on sale for $31, or from Best Buy, for about $39. It will already have the Xfinity streaming app where you can log on with your Xfinity user name and password. Note that you may need to register the device with a code before you can use the app.
Don't do this. You can have the same exact issue with Roku. This is a new FireTV, therefore you have a better streaming device built in than Roku. I've been in IT for 40 years, and previously owned all Roku's. When Roku had their little spat with YouTube TV where they banned the app, I switched to FireSticks and found they work much better. The FireStick actually has a real OS (Android) on it, where the Roku is just an appliance. What this means is that I have far more control over the device. If Amazon decides to block one of my streaming services, I can easily sideload any app I want (something that's impossible on a Roku). I can also run a VPN on FireStick - another thing that can't be done on Roku.

Now, on to your issue...

First, ensure that the TV is running the latest OS. Although the TV's may have been bought at the same time, there's not guarantee that they were manufactured at the same time with the same OS installed:
  • Go to Settings on your Fire TV.
  • Select My Fire TV.
  • Select About.
  • Select Check for System Update

Once this is done, try running the Xfinity app again. If it fails, have them delete the app and re-install it. This should correct any issues.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

I don't know how a Fire TV works, but, if it is like a Roku stick, you can just remove the Xfinity Stream app, and then use the search function to find it and install it again. That will ensure that you have the latest version of the app. No need to update the app.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBrews View Post
Don't do this. You can have the same exact issue with Roku. This is a new FireTV, therefore you have a better streaming device built in than Roku. I've been in IT for 40 years, and previously owned all Roku's. When Roku had their little spat with YouTube TV where they banned the app, I switched to FireSticks and found they work much better. The FireStick actually has a real OS (Android) on it, where the Roku is just an appliance. What this means is that I have far more control over the device. If Amazon decides to block one of my streaming services, I can easily sideload any app I want (something that's impossible on a Roku). I can also run a VPN on FireStick - another thing that can't be done on Roku.

Now, on to your issue...

First, ensure that the TV is running the latest OS. Although the TV's may have been bought at the same time, there's not guarantee that they were manufactured at the same time with the same OS installed:
  • Go to Settings on your Fire TV.
  • Select My Fire TV.
  • Select About.
  • Select Check for System Update

Once this is done, try running the Xfinity app again. If it fails, have them delete the app and re-install it. This should correct any issues.
I appreciate that some people like Firesticks better than Roku sticks. But, plugging a $30 streaming stick into an HDMI input, even if it is a Firestick, will solve the problem immediately because it will bypass the smart TV functions completely. To me, that would be much better than paying a computer guy a couple of hundred dollars to come to your house.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

I’m a person who rents seasonally in other places and most years rent my own homes in season . A lot of people are not tech savvy , some just because they don’t care to be , when it comes to TV they just want to click it in on and watch , I am also one of those people . When I’m inquiring about renting a seasonal , I make sure there’s Wi-Fi, the close caption works and it’s just a simple cable system, bringing up that they are not particularly tech savvy is casting a little blame on there part in this problem . I hope now that you see the problem that can occur you’ll have someone on standby to help people like me who are to stupid to know how to deal with fire sticks and all the other stuff that gives people hundreds of channels they never use at allegedly cheaper prices

Last edited by charlieo1126@gmail.com; 12-04-2022 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:11 PM

Just to follow up with the conclusion to this story:

Guests called TV manufacturer's tech support and, armed with the necessary user IDs and passwords, were able to get the TV updated and back into service.

I would once again like to thank everyone who spent part of their weekend offering advice to me on these forums.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:26 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,065 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjudge View Post
Okay, would you please explain it to me then so I can get them back up and running, and I will not be offended if it's dumbed wayyyyyy down!
Tell them to change the TV input to the HDMI post the Firestick is in. Then they will be seeing the Firestick, not the infinity screen.,
Old 12-05-2022, 07:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
Tell them to change the TV input to the HDMI post the Firestick is in. Then they will be seeing the Firestick, not the infinity screen.,
It is an Amazon Fire TV. It doesn't have a Firestick connected to an HDMI input. The Fire streaming functions are built in to the TV.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:54 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,065 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
It is an Amazon Fire TV. It doesn't have a Firestick connected to an HDMI input. The Fire streaming functions are built in to the TV.
Oh. I use Firesticks in my smart TVs, I prefer the interface and when I travel I bring them with me.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I appreciate that some people like Firesticks better than Roku sticks. But, plugging a $30 streaming stick into an HDMI input, even if it is a Firestick, will solve the problem immediately because it will bypass the smart TV functions completely. To me, that would be much better than paying a computer guy a couple of hundred dollars to come to your house.
The new FireTV's already have a FireStick in them. Same OS, same interface. No reason to add yet another device (and then you need another open outlet for power).
Old 12-05-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjudge View Post
In response to the questions thus far:

-the TV is approximately one year old (curiously, the second TV in the bedroom, which was purchased at the same time, is operating fine)
-I do not have a fire stick; my understanding is that the TV has redundant functionality to a fire stick (hence the moniker "Fire TV")
-I do not have cable, therefore there is no Xfinity remote - there is only the app

This "update screen" comes up immediately upon powering on the TV.

I appreciate the responses, and thanks in advance for any help.
Your best bet is to get someone to talk to that knows what is happening and you can give specific info to - I would suggest BRYCE SHERWOOD (352-617-8669) - he charges an hourly rate and we just used him to cut the cord and do a variety of techniques to get the job done - of which one w involved a fire stick.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBrews View Post
The new FireTV's already have a FireStick in them. Same OS, same interface. No reason to add yet another device (and then you need another open outlet for power).
I agree with you. But, the OP is out of town and wanted to hire a TV technician to make a house call to fix a software issue. I was suggesting that a faster and cheaper alternative was to plug in a new streaming stick that would provide streaming service for the OP's tenants until the OP returned.
Old 12-05-2022, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

The problem has been fixed and people are STILL giving advice on how to fix the problem...

[insert facepalm here/]

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
amazon, fire, guests, recommend, tech

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.