Old 12-05-2022, 01:02 PM
Gold member

They should just read a book.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,437 Times in 3,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjudge View Post
Oh, and just for clarity....without the Xfinity app running, there is no cable TV - which is the crux of the problem. It worked fine for over a year until yesterday.

(I know I can rent a cable box and pay for regular cable in addition to the wifi I already pay for, but that is not in the budget currently.)
The Xfinity thing you're seeing is NOT cable TV. It's your TV set trying to connect to your internet service.

There is /also/ a free streaming service from Comcast, that comes with your internet service. It's called Xfinity Flex. You get a couple dozen channels with it including Peacock Premium. It's a great freebie option for a "man-cave" TV, not very useful for a main set. We have that in the TV in the spouse's workshop, connected with their device that is similar to a Roku or Fire stick and paired with a streaming remote.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,437 Times in 3,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
I’m a person who rents seasonally in other places and most years rent my own homes in season . A lot of people are not tech savvy , some just because they don’t care to be , when it comes to TV they just want to click it in on and watch , I am also one of those people . When I’m inquiring about renting a seasonal , I make sure there’s Wi-Fi, the close caption works and it’s just a simple cable system, bringing up that they are not particularly tech savvy is casting a little blame on there part in this problem . I hope now that you see the problem that can occur you’ll have someone on standby to help people like me who are to stupid to know how to deal with fire sticks and all the other stuff that gives people hundreds of channels they never use at allegedly cheaper prices
It doesn't make you stupid. You have chosen not to learn it. You have every right to not keep up with technology if older technology works for you. But when it fails to work for you, you have only yourself to blame for not knowing what to do about it.

Also - if you want cheaper prices, you'd get the main networks - ABC, CBS, NBC, get an antenna, and not bother with internet service at all.

Or you could go with the Xfinity wifi for $50/month, and it comes with the flex box that gives you a couple dozen channels including the networks, at no extra charge. But you also can't add other channels to it if you change your mind, without going to cable TV - which costs extra.
Old 12-06-2022, 07:47 AM
Location: Wyoming born, Texan by choice, Motorcoach wander and now Glenbrook village

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
If you have a fire stick, why are you using xfinity. If you have xfinity stream, there will be a xfinity remote to do what you need.
Xfinity stream does not come with a remote. They don't give /rent you any equipment for the streaming app. You do have to have a router from them for data service but nothing for the app
Old 12-06-2022, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It doesn't make you stupid. You have chosen not to learn it. You have every right to not keep up with technology if older technology works for you. But when it fails to work for you, you have only yourself to blame for not knowing what to do about it.

Also - if you want cheaper prices, you'd get the main networks - ABC, CBS, NBC, get an antenna, and not bother with internet service at all.

Or you could go with the Xfinity wifi for $50/month, and it comes with the flex box that gives you a couple dozen channels including the networks, at no extra charge. But you also can't add other channels to it if you change your mind, without going to cable TV - which costs extra.
another person who doesn’t understand sarcasm, I stopped worrying about what things cost , a long time ago,just my NFL ticket is about $400 for season I think

Last edited by charlieo1126@gmail.com; 12-06-2022 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:57 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,030 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miekies View Post
Xfinity stream does not come with a remote. They don't give /rent you any equipment for the streaming app. You do have to have a router from them for data service but nothing for the app
They certain do provide a free streaming device with remote. (It's not needed with an Amazon FireTV, but they provide to all Internet customers.

Xfinity Flex | 4K Streaming Box Free with Xfinity Internet
Old 12-07-2022, 07:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
They certain do provide a free streaming device with remote. (It's not needed with an Amazon FireTV, but they provide to all Internet customers.

Xfinity Flex | 4K Streaming Box Free with Xfinity Internet
You also do not need to use their router. Yes, they give you one, but it's just an OK router. It provides the basics. When I had Xfinity, I always used my own modem and router... for two reasons:

1) Having my own modem saved me $10/month lease fee (I'm pretty sure it's even more now). You can buy a basic modem for $50, and it's paid off in 5 months.
2) My router was a mesh system and provided far better coverage and wireless speed than their router.
Closed Thread

Tags
amazon, fire, guests, recommend, tech

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.