Android Apps that Rock!

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Wow Mike, how nice. It's still hard to get used to you being a Droid guy though.
Yeah, for me too! I was at the Apple Store today... I've decided to wait for the iPhone 7, before jumping back in ....

Don't forget, I still have the iPad, so Apple apps are still important....
Old 02-03-2011, 06:50 AM

I can't decide if we should go over to Verizon. I love my IPHONE but Verizon was telling me some very cool things that Android can do...hook up to TV and show movies? talk and type text? He said they have classes every Sunday to teach the great things it does. Is it really that much better? I have the original IPhone and yes, they will grandfather you in but it will COST more $$$$. $15 per month PLUS texting. We will be in the Villages this weekend and will text the reception on the IPhone at the new lot.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:19 AM
nkrifats

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
OK Boys and Girls.... I have way too much time on my hands, so I created a "basic" web page with all the apps discussed in this thread.

You'll see the app name, cost, short description and the QR link to the Market to download the app to your phone.

First, you need to download the bar code reader, which you will use to scan the QR code for each of the apps. That will take you to the app in the Android Market, where you can download the app to your phone.

As new apps are added to the thread, I will update the website to reflect the new app and its link.

Here's the web link: https://sites.google.com/site/villagesapps/

Enjoy & keep the cool apps coming..... Mike
Thanks Mike, I am apple user that has Droid phone. Waiting to see how things settle out with Verizon and of course this contract being up before I go to IPhone.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:20 AM
Platinum member

Thanks Mike for putting together that list. I think I already have most of those apps.

Another feature of the Droid 2 (I'm not sure about any other models), is that when you want to do a search or type a text, there is a little microphone icon on the screen, and you press that and when it says to record your message, you just speak what you want and it usually picks it up correctly. Of course, you can just type in the message, but this feature is really cool.

The classes are certainly worth going to, but only last for about 45 minutes. You can go into the store any time and they will help you with any question you have. I'm referring to the store near Best Buy.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 02-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Platinum member

Another one that's kinda neat is Instant Heart Rate.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 02-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool Please Respond

Before I update the web with the latest apps, please PM the answer to the question below. Majority [of responses] will rule.

The Villages Florida

Thanks.... Mike
Old 02-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Administrator

12,271 or how many people cannot figure out what this is.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:37 AM

Yes, I am using the QR code.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool In case you missed it...

Yesterday or the day before, Google announced and opened a new Android App Store. Here's the link:

https://market.android.com/

Cheers.....
Old 03-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Thumbs up HTC Incredible

One of the best apps is TV Shows Stream. You can stream current TV shows and old episodes from your phone.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Veteran member

Just picked up a smart phone that uses the android o/s and I am getting use to the thing. I have now gotten to the point of adding apps and ran across two that are must haves and they are free. Those are:

GasBuddy - to check on the lowest price for gas. This also will use the on-board GPS so you don't have to know the town name or zip code for your location. This is from the same group that has the on line web site for gas prices.

Trapster - this app will let you know the locations of red light cameras, spreed traps, school zones and a lot more. It also has a feature that allows you to add an update to the database with a tap of the phone. The way it works is that once a location is reported it is added to the database on Trapster.com servers. As more people report the locations it moves up higher in the verified site location. One drawback is that you may have to change the warning setting depending on your planned route. For example I set it to warm me at 1.5 miles before a speed trap and I found that it was warning me of any school in a 1.5 mile radius of my location. For city driving the range would have to be reduced as compared to interstate driving. On an interstate route I would turn off the school zone warning as it can be done very easily.

I am on the lookout for a good app for weather (radar maps) and stock quotes. The ones that I have loaded so far are okay but not outstanding. For the stock quotes all I want is the DOW, NASDAQ, S&P, gold, oil and half a dozen stocks that I own. The ones that I have found give me a few of my wants but not the others. The same goes for the weather. I did find one weather site from a local TV station that was good but it used a lot of memory just to display the stations pictures and it had pop ups.

Also looking of a TOTV message reader. I have found a program the goes to the Vbulletin (company that writes the software that runs TOTV) and logs into their forums so I know it can be done. I will have to dig into the phone and see what the program look like.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraurauch View Post
Freecaddie is a good app. Includes most of the courses in TV. There is also a paid version for, I think, $14.50. Hubby and I use it all the time.
Free Caddie Pro is $ 9.99 It's a little better than the free version.It will tell you distances to all points on the hole!!

FreeCaddie is the #1 golf GPS rangefinder on Android with more than 400,000 downloads!

Get the distance to the front, center and back of each green. Over 21000 mapped courses!

Upgrade to FreeCaddie Pro and get distances to bunkers, hazards, rotated maps, shot measuring, stats, four person scorecard and more!
Old 03-26-2011, 07:46 AM
Veteran member

Thanks Bosox for the info. I have seen a number of apps that have both a free version and a pay for version and was wondering the difference.

I am already looking into rooting (jail breaking) the phone to be able to over clock or under clock the processor and also allow for tethering to the lap top to create a hot spot. That process takes a couple of downloads and about 20 seconds to do.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwind View Post
Thanks Bosox for the info. I have seen a number of apps that have both a free version and a pay for version and was wondering the difference.

I am already looking into rooting (jail breaking) the phone to be able to over clock or under clock the processor and also allow for tethering to the lap top to create a hot spot. That process takes a couple of downloads and about 20 seconds to do.

Hawkwind.... Can you provide us the benefits of rooting and over/under clocking an Android phone? I unlocked my iPhone, but that was to use programs outside the Apple App Store, as well as use a different carrier. Now I have the Droid X, but have not been tempted to root...yet

Thanks....
Old 03-26-2011, 11:59 AM

I can't decide if I should go with android, iPhone or Blackberry. I have such a mixed bag....work I use a PC, home I use a Macbook, work issues me a Blackberry and I have an old LG cell phone. I need a new smartphone and want something user-friendly. Would love to hear recommendations.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.