Android Phone Settings

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2022, 05:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,414 Times in 5,106 Posts
Default Android Phone Settings

I was getting about 10 to 12 telemarketing calls every day even with my spam blocker turned on. So, I turned on the "Do Not Disturb" feature and set my exceptions to accept only calls from numbers on my contacts list. The only problem is that, when I have an incoming call, I can no longer see who is calling. I have tried every setting I can think of and nothing has worked. Is there a setting to enable the caller ID feature when the "do not disturb" feature is turned on? Thanks.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:28 PM

Since do not disturb is turned on, a splash screen of the incoming phone call will not be displayed. You can use your finger to scroll the top part of the screen down to see who's calling. But this is an extra step.

Have you tried downloading an app? I use Call Blocker by Fiorenza Francesco. In the settings, you can choose to allow calls only from contacts.

But I suppose most call blockers will do this.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I was getting about 10 to 12 telemarketing calls every day even with my spam blocker turned on. So, I turned on the "Do Not Disturb" feature and set my exceptions to accept only calls from numbers on my contacts list. The only problem is that, when I have an incoming call, I can no longer see who is calling. I have tried every setting I can think of and nothing has worked. Is there a setting to enable the caller ID feature when the "do not disturb" feature is turned on? Thanks.
Do Not Disturb turns off all notifications except the ones specified by you. The most common use for Do Not Disturb (in my opinion) is if you use your phone as an alarm clock. You turn it to do not disturb at night, leave it on, and the alarm will sound to wake you up in the morning. All calls will go to voice mail, all e-mails will be there when you go to your e-mail client, all texts will be available to you again when you turn off the do not disturb flag for the day.

Since you have specified that only "Joe, Sue, Larry, and the Doctor" to get past the do not disturb setting, you know that any incoming phone call while it's turned on will be either Joe, Sue, Larry, or the Doctor. No caller ID needed, since you already know it's one of the people you invited to get past the block.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:06 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,706 Times in 761 Posts

Youmail free app

Visual Voicemail with the Best Spam Blocking | YouMail

Billions of spam robocalls
are made monthly.
We block spam calls and put
spammers out of business.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:46 PM

You don’t need the app. Just block the numbers when you receive a call. Do not answer a call from a number you don’t know as they will just bounce from number to number.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:26 AM
Platinum member

Select a different ringtone for contacts. If you hear a default ring ignore the call.

You need the app. Crowdsourcing spam list has millions of number. Let it do the work
Old 07-07-2022, 07:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Select a different ringtone for contacts. If you hear a default ring ignore the call.

You need the app. Crowdsourcing spam list has millions of number. Let it do the work
I installed the "YouMail" app. Will see what happens.

Note that if you install the app, and don't like it, apparently, you need to deactivate it before you uninstall it to restore your old voicemail system.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 07-07-2022 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-07-2022, 07:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheimer View Post
You don’t need the app. Just block the numbers when you receive a call. Do not answer a call from a number you don’t know as they will just bounce from number to number.
Blocking individual numbers never worked for me in the past. They would just call back using a different caller ID number. Currently, I get about 10 calls per day regarding final expense insurance, credit cards, suspicious Amazon orders, computer issues, auto warranties, and donations to the police department.

My Samsung phone has a built-in "Hiya" app that worked for about a week. But, after that, the callers changed their caller ID numbers and the calls came right back.
Old 07-07-2022, 12:49 PM

A lot of this has to do with sites on line that you have your phone number associated with. I don’t do Facebook or put my number out on the net because as soon as you do that they got ya. Some of the issues have come from other people’s accounts that get hacked and you happened to be in their contact file. They will then start calling the numbers in the contact file. I would contact your wireless phone carrier and let them know also as they use to be able to help with blocking of these numbers.
Old 07-07-2022, 02:01 PM
Platinum member

Get a real phone
Old 07-07-2022, 02:53 PM
Sage

Quote:

Note that if you install the app, and don't like it, apparently, you need to deactivate it before you uninstall it to restore your old voicemail system.
Note that, so far today, I have received 8 telemarketing calls and the "YouMail" app only declined one of them. So, it doesn't appear that the app is very effective.
Old 07-07-2022, 04:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

Yes. Simple to do so. Check the settings. I rarely get spam anymore. Major carriers are supposed to have spam filters. Check to see if they are enabled

Again, give your contacts a special ringtone. You can ignore all other calls with default ringtone . Easiest solution. I don’t look at my phone when the default tone plays

Last edited by Babubhat; 07-07-2022 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-08-2022, 05:03 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

I have used you mail app for years and it works very well for me
Old 07-08-2022, 05:48 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeblossombaby View Post
do not disturb turns off all notifications except the ones specified by you. The most common use for do not disturb (in my opinion) is if you use your phone as an alarm clock. You turn it to do not disturb at night, leave it on, and the alarm will sound to wake you up in the morning. All calls will go to voice mail, all e-mails will be there when you go to your e-mail client, all texts will be available to you again when you turn off the do not disturb flag for the day.

Since you have specified that only "joe, sue, larry, and the doctor" to get past the do not disturb setting, you know that any incoming phone call while it's turned on will be either joe, sue, larry, or the doctor. No caller id needed, since you already know it's one of the people you invited to get past the block.
i shut off my android phone at bed time. My alarm will still buzz
Old 07-08-2022, 06:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedalton View Post
I have used you mail app for years and it works very well for me
I had the free version of "YouMail" activated for 24 hours. I received 11 spam calls, but the app only blocked one of them. I don't like that it takes control of your phone and voicemail system by forwarding your incoming calls to them. Also, it was scary that the app was making international calls from my phone. Maybe my concerns are unfounded, but it didn't seem to do what I expected.
Closed Thread

Tags
feature, turned, setting, disturb, calls

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.