Another iPad Question

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2015, 09:49 AM
Gold member
Default Another iPad Question

This just started happening on my iPad and it is driving me crazy. It happens several times a day.

When I scroll down the TOTV page the screen goes blank and then a game comes on the page that can be downloaded! Does anyone know why this keeps happening?

My 90 year old mother says it happens on her iPad too!!! And, she is rarely on TOTV. But then, weird things are always happening on her laptop and iPad! User error? But then, most people are shocked at how how good she is (because of her age) on electronic devices!

I have an iPad3 and Mom has an iPad4.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:53 AM

Happens on mine also!!
Old 01-20-2015, 09:58 AM

Have you try to. Shut it down let it rest a couple. Of mins. Put it on get rid of old pages that have been open that helps mine.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:09 AM
Platinum member

Makes me crazy! For me, only happens on TOTV.

Is there a way to get rid of those games altogether?
Old 01-20-2015, 10:22 AM
Gold member

Try hitting that little curved arrow on top of the page where it says www.talk of the villages. I have an I pad and the adm told me to do this and it works. Every time the page comes messed up I just refresh it by hitting that arrow.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:28 AM
Gold member

Happens to me also... glad to here it is NOT my iPad. Something about the Talk web page. I do not use my iPad to view the sight any longer!
Old 01-21-2015, 04:50 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Both refreshing the page and exiting out of all other windows are the most common fixes.... But some sites are just not optimized for iPad usage.
(Office) 352-460-1155
(Store) 205 W. North Blvd (441), Leesburg, Fl. 34748
(Website) http://www.ComputerCornerFL.com
Old 01-21-2015, 05:36 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Same problem here. Wasn't an issue until the latest "upgrade" by Apple. grrrrrrrrrr

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-21-2015, 05:49 PM
Gold member

Glad to know I'm not alone! This morning I was about to say the heck with TOTV. It's so annoying.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:54 PM
Gold member

I refresh the screen all the time so that doesn't help with the games coming up. It does help in clearing out the extra photos and the print on top of other priint. I haven't logged completely off. I will try that. And, I will try another browser Thanks for the tips!

It's reassuring to know that it's not just me!
Old 01-22-2015, 12:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable99 View Post
This just started happening on my iPad and it is driving me crazy. It happens several times a day. When I scroll down the TOTV page the screen goes blank and then a game comes on the page that can be downloaded! Does anyone know why this keeps happening?
YES!!! This just started happening to me also. It came out of nowhere and it's extremely frustrating!
This is a new problem, in addition to the jumbled screen we were all getting earlier on our iPads.
The mish-mash we've been getting all along can be improved by using the Refresh button.
But the games appear for no reason and there is no way to delete them.
I have to push my Home button and then delete the game from there. It's very annoying!

I asked MEMason for help, he is the iPad guru. He said he would look into it for us.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

I'm no guru, but here goes.....

I haven't been able to find this as being a problem elsewhere in cyberspace, although, I'm sure it must be....

On my own iPad, I have not be able to recreate the issue with popup ads, such as being described... I am using Safari.

If you haven't already, go into settings and then Safari. Scroll to where is says Block Popups and make sure that is turned on.

Back in Settings, scroll down until you find Game Center. Click on that and make sure you are NOT signed into Game Center. If you aren't signed in, it will ask you to Authenticate. Your AppleID should already be filled in. At this point, simple hit Cancel to get out of it. If you are logged into Game Center, logout and see if anything changes.

I'll keep looking, but this seems to be rather isolated.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
I'm no guru, but here goes.....
I haven't been able to find this as being a problem elsewhere in cyberspace, although, I'm sure it must be....
On my own iPad, I have not be able to recreate the issue with popup ads, such as being described... I am using Safari.
If you haven't already, go into settings and then Safari. Scroll to where is says Block Popups and make sure that is turned on.
Back in Settings, scroll down until you find Game Center. Click on that and make sure you are NOT signed into Game Center. If you aren't signed in, it will ask you to Authenticate. Your AppleID should already be filled in. At this point, simple hit Cancel to get out of it. If you are logged into Game Center, logout and see if anything changes.

I'll keep looking, but this seems to be rather isolated.
Thanks memason. You may not be a guru, but you are the most knowledgeable person I know.
And you have been more than accommodating over the years responding to my dumb iPad questions.
I've checked the settings you described, and "block popups" was on; and I wasn't signed into the Game Center.
So it's not those two things that are causing the Game Apps to suddenly appear.
The "Game App" problem happens so often now that I don't use my iPad for TOTV anymore. I use my laptop.

I do have a question:
Once an iPad user has updated an Operating System, is there any way to go back to an older version?
Old 01-22-2015, 09:45 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I have found a fix that is working for now. I switched to Chrome. Really would like to make it my default for iPad but haven't figured out how to do that, yet. Safari gives me nothing but grief on TOTV.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-22-2015, 09:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Thanks memason. You may not be a guru, but you are the most knowledgeable person I know.
And you have been more than accommodating over the years responding to my dumb iPad questions.
I've checked the settings you described, and "block popups" was on; and I wasn't signed into the Game Center.
So it's not those two things that are causing the Game Apps to suddenly appear.
The "Game App" problem happens so often now that I don't use my iPad for TOTV anymore. I use my laptop.

I do have a question:
Once an iPad user has updated an Operating System, is there any way to go back to an older version?
OK....I'll keep looking...

To answer your question of reverting back to iOS7. Unfortunately, that is not really possible. "Technically" it can be done, but you would end up with more issues than you have now...

I'm assuming this pop up issue is only occurring on TOTV and not other sites.

For what it's worth....there are other vBulletin sites (software used for TOTV), where users are experiencing the same issues as folks on here, with iOS 8. So, as the Admins have previously stated, the issues are with the website software and iOS 8. Therefore, you're probably gonna have to wait for a fix from vBulletin and the site Admins.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.