Anti-Virus Programs

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2020, 07:59 AM
Default Anti-Virus Programs

I am running Windows 10. Imbedded in the operating program is Windows Defender Anti-Virus program. I also have installed by Best Buy Geek Squad the Webroot Anti-Virus program.

My questions are:

Am I protected by both programs simultaneously? If not, which is the primary anti-virus program?

Is the Windows Defender program sufficient all by itself?

Is Webroot an effective anti-virus program?

Is there a better anti-virus program than Webroot?
Old 02-21-2020, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

I was always told not to run two anti virus systems at the same time, they often each other.
Best to only run one.
Any anti virus is better then none, and your Windows Defender is as good as any on its own.
I use Bitdefender, which, touch wood, has never over the years let any nasty into my computer.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:50 AM
Veteran member

Of course you do have alternatives. One is a Chromebook (nevers gets a virus) and the other is Linux Mint (a virus is very, very, very, very rare). I've been using a Chromebook for about 10 years and Linux Mint for about a year. I've converted over a dozen people here in the Villagers over the past year and none have wanted to back to Windows.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

In order to know which AV is servicing your system you need to check your system settings. There are a number of ways to access this, here's how I do it:

1) Using your search feature (the little magnifying glass icon on the lower left of your screen next to the "windows" icon), type in "windows security." You'll have 2 different places available to choose, then: apps, or web. You want apps, and OPEN.

2) Then, click on "Virus & threat protection" on the left side of the window that opens up.

It'll give you a run-down of which products are actively protecting your system.

2a*) (*optional) You can change those settings at the bottom of the list, by clicking on "Windows Defender Antivirus options."

I've been using Kaspersky for a number of years (the media hype against it is mostly concerning the federal government websites - unless you're dealing with top secret national/international information, your computer is 100% NOT at risk from Kaspersky and it's actually a very good product). Turns out though that Microsoft has improved on their own security suite to the point where I'm willing to let Defender run once my Kaspersky subscription expires next month.

I haven't allowed Windows to control my computer's security since Win95. It's a big leap but every geek I talk to, even my Unix pals, tell me Windows Defender is a good choice for the current incarnation of Windows.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:33 AM

I highly recommend PC Matic,
PC Matic | PC Matic Pro
I have never had a virus/malware problem on my decktop PC, laptop, and cell phones since I joined PC Matic six years ago.
You get protection for up to 5 devices for $50 per year.
They do a weekly scan of all your devices and email the results to you.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:58 AM

I've been reading Bob Rankin's free email articles for years. Here's one for discussion.

Review: PC Matic Gets a Zero!
The Village Rockers is now forming. Stay "tuned" for further details about this new club for musicians, singers and spectators. Send us your name and email address. We will put you on our email list for news, updates, meeting times and playdates.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:33 AM
Veteran member

If you switch to Linux Mint you don't need antivirus (or malware, or anything else for Windows)
Closed Thread

Tags
program, anti-virus, windows, webroot, programs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.