Antivirus Software

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2018, 12:51 PM
Default Antivirus Software

I'm currently using Spybot for the last year. It's time to renew. There are so many other software out there. I always worry about how independent internet reviews of antivirus software are.

Any suggestions/good experiences with antivirus software?
Old 07-18-2018, 01:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I use Avast Free antivirus
Old 07-18-2018, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,423 Times in 5,111 Posts

I use Norton which costs about $25 per year for 5 computers or devices. However, I understand that, if you have Comcast internet service, you can protect up to 7 devices with Norton for free. Unfortunately, I have no idea how well it works, or if it is better than anything else or nothing.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:23 PM

I started using WebRoot several years ago. I never know it's there and have yet to have any virus or other type of malware issues since I started using it. Some of the others I have used always seemed to make my PC's run noticeably slower when they were installed - WebRoot does not. It keeps itself up to date, scans by itself, and I never know when either are occurring. The nice part is you can usually pick it up at any walmart for 20 to 30 bucks for a year, for 3 PC's. My only complaint is that the annual renewal is more expensive, if you do it online. So, I just by a new one at Walmart the next year and use the key code inside to renew my existing installs of it on my PC's.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:30 PM
Veteran member

If you have Windows 8 or 10, Microsoft's free Defender is more than adequate for your anti-virus needs. Combined with Malwarebytes free periodic scans you are protected.

Win 8,10 already have it installed, just turn it on. Search for it, activate.
How to activate Windows Defender in Windows 8 | PCWorld
Free Cyber Security & Anti-Malware Software | Malwarebytes

Last edited by SFSkol; 07-18-2018 at 02:57 PM. Reason: fix links
Old 07-18-2018, 05:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
If you have Windows 8 or 10, Microsoft's free Defender is more than adequate for your anti-virus needs. Combined with Malwarebytes free periodic scans you are protected.

Win 8,10 already have it installed, just turn it on. Search for it, activate.
How to activate Windows Defender in Windows 8 | PCWorld
Free Cyber Security & Anti-Malware Software | Malwarebytes
Is defender the same as microsoft security essentials?
Old 07-19-2018, 07:29 AM
Veteran member

1st question .. do you really need a Windows PC? If you need a program that only runs on Windows, then ... maybe.
2nd question .. are you tired of dealing with Windows updates and downloads and getting updates for the "addon" programs?

Answer .. Chromebook .. never gets a virus, so you don't need anti virus programs, or malware, updates are done in the background. All files are saved to the cloud, so you never have to worry about losing your files. There are thousands of apps that may do everything you do on a Windows PC.

Google "Chromebooks" and check it out. It's not a "toy" used only by school kids, it does real work and is being used by many businesses.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
1st question .. do you really need a Windows PC? If you need a program that only runs on Windows, then ... maybe.
2nd question .. are you tired of dealing with Windows updates and downloads and getting updates for the "addon" programs?

Answer .. Chromebook .. never gets a virus, so you don't need anti virus programs, or malware, updates are done in the background. All files are saved to the cloud, so you never have to worry about losing your files. There are thousands of apps that may do everything you do on a Windows PC.

Google "Chromebooks" and check it out. It's not a "toy" used only by school kids, it does real work and is being used by many businesses.
Ditto to all of the above. I worked as a Windows Admin for many years, when I retired I left the Windows World went to Mac(s) but added a Chromebook an Asus for $200. It's a very impressive machine. The model I bought looks very much like a MacBook Air but at a fraction of the price.

In the unlikely event your Chromebook has an issue you can simply do a PowerWash ( built into the Chromebook ) and that will solve any problem because it restores the computer to the original out of the box condition. The speed of the Chromebook is also great, it will boot up in less than 15 seconds. Try that will a Windoze machine.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Is defender the same as microsoft security essentials?
You must be using Win 7. This explains it.

Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials: Which one do I need? – Microsoft Secure

D/L

Access Denied this is a good link.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:53 AM
Sage

I used to get virus' on Windows (even though I had spyware). So about 4 or 5yrs ago our son suggested I get a Chrome-book. It's great! I can't print from it but it's good for e-mails, Facebook and the minimal things I need a computer for. We're not "techy" at our house so having I-pads etc. isn't for us.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,423 Times in 5,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I used to get virus' on Windows (even though I had spyware). So about 4 or 5yrs ago our son suggested I get a Chrome-book. It's great! I can't print from it but it's good for e-mails, Facebook and the minimal things I need a computer for. We're not "techy" at our house so having I-pads etc. isn't for us.
You should be able to print from it. You must not have it set up correctly.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Thank-you -- I have 8 and use defender. I also have a chromebook but the screen is too small. I know I can add an external monitor. Has anyone found a paint program to use with chromebook that works just like or just as well
as microsoft paint.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Thank-you -- I have 8 and use defender. I also have a chromebook but the screen is too small. I know I can add an external monitor. Has anyone found a paint program to use with chromebook that works just like or just as well
as microsoft paint.
I also have 2 chromebooks. I hear that SUMO is a nice paint app, I've just loaded it and will take a look at it.

BTW: The best free image editing program I have ever used for Windows is Faststone. I've put it on hundreds of PC's. I dislike programs that attempt to create libraries of your media files. Set Fastone to automatically open when an image file is opened and create away. Add text, wallpaper, frames, quick resize, great printing options.....

FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ...

Last edited by SFSkol; 07-19-2018 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 07-19-2018, 09:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
I also have 2 chromebooks. I hear that SUMO is a nice paint app, I've just loaded it and will take a look at it.

BTW: The best free image editing program I have ever used for Windows is Faststone. I've put it on hundreds of PC's. I dislike programs that attempt to create libraries of your media files. Set Fastone to automatically open when an image file is opened and create away. Add text, wallpaper, frames, quick resize, great printing options.....

FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ...
I installed it and had to activate flash. I tried opening a photo jpeg saved on the chromebook-- no go. I do a bit of photo editing----i'm so used to paint, i hate to give it up. I could use it offline but i like the convenience of search with the same machine.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I installed it and had to activate flash. I tried opening a photo jpeg saved on the chromebook-- no go. I do a bit of photo editing----i'm so used to paint, i hate to give it up. I could use it offline but i like the convenience of search with the same machine.
I had no issues with a variety of image types. Try renaming your ???.jpeg file to ???.jpg. That seemed to work for me.

This is more of a Photoshop clone than similar to Paint. It uses layers, that can get confusing quickly. Large selection of help videos on YouTube.
Closed Thread

Tags
software, antivirus, worry, internet, suggestions/good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.