Antivirus Software

Antivirus Software

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 07:57 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I used to get virus' on Windows (even though I had spyware). So about 4 or 5yrs ago our son suggested I get a Chrome-book. It's great! I can't print from it but it's good for e-mails, Facebook and the minimal things I need a computer for. We're not "techy" at our house so having I-pads etc. isn't for us.
You should be able to print from it. You must not have it set up correctly.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
Thank-you -- I have 8 and use defender. I also have a chromebook but the screen is too small. I know I can add an external monitor. Has anyone found a paint program to use with chromebook that works just like or just as well
as microsoft paint.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2018, 09:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Thank-you -- I have 8 and use defender. I also have a chromebook but the screen is too small. I know I can add an external monitor. Has anyone found a paint program to use with chromebook that works just like or just as well
as microsoft paint.
I also have 2 chromebooks. I hear that SUMO is a nice paint app, I've just loaded it and will take a look at it.

BTW: The best free image editing program I have ever used for Windows is Faststone. I've put it on hundreds of PC's. I dislike programs that attempt to create libraries of your media files. Set Fastone to automatically open when an image file is opened and create away. Add text, wallpaper, frames, quick resize, great printing options.....

FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ...

Last edited by SFSkol; 07-19-2018 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 07-19-2018, 09:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
I also have 2 chromebooks. I hear that SUMO is a nice paint app, I've just loaded it and will take a look at it.

BTW: The best free image editing program I have ever used for Windows is Faststone. I've put it on hundreds of PC's. I dislike programs that attempt to create libraries of your media files. Set Fastone to automatically open when an image file is opened and create away. Add text, wallpaper, frames, quick resize, great printing options.....

FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ...
I installed it and had to activate flash. I tried opening a photo jpeg saved on the chromebook-- no go. I do a bit of photo editing----i'm so used to paint, i hate to give it up. I could use it offline but i like the convenience of search with the same machine.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I installed it and had to activate flash. I tried opening a photo jpeg saved on the chromebook-- no go. I do a bit of photo editing----i'm so used to paint, i hate to give it up. I could use it offline but i like the convenience of search with the same machine.
I had no issues with a variety of image types. Try renaming your ???.jpeg file to ???.jpg. That seemed to work for me.

This is more of a Photoshop clone than similar to Paint. It uses layers, that can get confusing quickly. Large selection of help videos on YouTube.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
I had no issues with a variety of image types. Try renaming your ???.jpeg file to ???.jpg. That seemed to work for me.

This is more of a Photoshop clone than similar to Paint. It uses layers , that can get confusing quickly. Large selection of help videos on YouTube.
thank-you --i know what you mean about the confusion of photo editing growing quickly-- the photo is a jpg. that's the extension----but the type is jpeg.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
thank-you --i know what you mean about the confusion of photo editing growing quickly-- the photo is a jpg. that's the extension----but the type is jpeg.
They are both the same type. Jpeg is a holdover from earlier Windows. Same exact file structure. Chromebook uses the file extension to determine the file type. It doesn't understand what a .jpeg is. Open files, find the file, control+enter change the extension. to .jpg.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
They are both the same type. Jpeg is a holdover from earlier Windows. Same exact file structure. Chromebook uses the file extension to determine the file type. It doesn't understand what a .jpeg is. Open files, find the file, control+enter change the extension. to .jpg.
The existing extension is grandson.jpg
In the Chromebook I select the file tab on the bottom of the screen. The file folder is named Downloads. The other are columns are size, type and date modified
69K, JPEG image, feb 6 2018

OK it opened in Sumo---I just wasn't patient enough for it to open in sumo. For photo editing this looks like photoshop.

So I clicked on the photo to get a color using the eye dropper. That worked. Then I accidentally clicked on the picture and it disappeared. I know I didn't totally loose it.

I find that if I'm not an expert in 15 minutes the software is not intuitive enough for me.
Chromebook Rules----i got that in 1 minute
Closed Thread

Tags
software, antivirus, worry, internet, suggestions/good