Anyone use Amazon Firestick?

Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2017, 07:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Doubtful. Cable companies also provide internet access and TV programming is just another form of data coming through the internet access pipe. There is fundamentally no difference between a TV show you watch "on cable" and a Netflix show - they are just packets of data coming down the pipe. You aren't going to stream anything without internet access. You will probably continue to see an evolution in the services provided by cable companies. I suspect more choices instead of packages of 250 channels. Cable companies provide the infrastructure as well as programming services. I cut the cord about 7 years ago but I am totally dependent on a "cable" company for internet access so I can stream programming from Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc.
Very nicely put.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Doubtful. Cable companies also provide internet access and TV programming is just another form of data coming through the internet access pipe. There is fundamentally no difference between a TV show you watch "on cable" and a Netflix show - they are just packets of data coming down the pipe. You aren't going to stream anything without internet access. You will probably continue to see an evolution in the services provided by cable companies. I suspect more choices instead of packages of 250 channels. Cable companies provide the infrastructure as well as programming services. I cut the cord about 7 years ago but I am totally dependent on a "cable" company for internet access so I can stream programming from Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc.
So am I right in thinking that all the additional pieces of technology still need the cable in order to bring everything into your home? So basically it must be costing more to use the additional technology if you have to buy the cable to bring it into the home?

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-26-2017, 08:50 AM

We have the Amazon Fire Stick and use it and like it. We primarily watch movies.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
So am I right in thinking that all the additional pieces of technology still need the cable in order to bring everything into your home? So basically it must be costing more to use the additional technology if you have to buy the cable to bring it into the home?
Old 05-26-2017, 12:51 PM

You seem to be confusing cable TV with internet service. Yes they do come from the same "cable", but are 2 separate items. You can call your cable provider and cancel the TV but keep the internet service.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:39 PM

Sorry, I am in 20th century..please explain what is Firestick. I hate cable who nickle and dim and try to get you anyway they can. I like to binge too, lol. Thank you.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
I have 2 of them, but they are almost out of date because of the newest Smart Tv's include everything you can get on the Fire stick. Still a good thing when we travel and the rentals only have basic cable channels.
A fire stick can do more than your smart tv. Without getting into to much, Google "KODI" ( an app than you can "sideload" on a firestick), then Google "VPN". If you look up a site called troypoint, it can tell you about fire tv, firestick, and VPN's than I can. (my grandson told me about all this stuff)
Old 05-26-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Jim View Post
Yes you pay for various subscriptions but much less expensive than cable or satellite .
Streaming is the next huge change coming to TV . The Cable and Dish companies will be dinosaurs within 5 years --- and it couldn`t happen to a more deserving industry .
HUH? who do you think is supplying you the internet, C O M C A S T . internet only, i'm paying $ 89 per month, no cable just wifi.

Last edited by capecoralbill; 06-18-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:26 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
A fire stick can do more than your smart tv. Without getting into to much, Google "KODI" ( an app than you can "sideload" on a firestick), then Google "VPN". If you look up a site called troypoint, it can tell you about fire tv, firestick, and VPN's than I can. (my grandson told me about all this stuff)

I'm watching my Firestick Kodi right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2017, 08:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
I'm watching my Firestick Kodi right now.

Pretty cool.....huh?
Old 05-26-2017, 09:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
Pretty cool.....huh?

Yup!

Tags
firestick, amazon, hear, good, easy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.