To Apple Or Not

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2015, 12:47 AM
Default To Apple Or Not

I have been a Windows Desktop user since the 80s. I currently have a 4 year old Dell running Windows 8. I also have an IPad and IPhone. I am contemplating the possible change to an IMac or MacBook Pro as opposed to remaining with the Windows based desktop. My thoughts are that going all Apple would make every device I have uniformly compatible, I might have less viruses and other cyber related attacks, and I might get better support. I am not sure if my thinking is spot on or flawed. I also am not sure of how difficult it would be to learn the Mac OS. Sooo long story short, have any of you migrated to an all Apple platform from windows. Are you glad you did it. Did the choice exceed your expectations once you began working with all Apple products?
Do you have any other suggestions and rationale for replacing my 4 year old desktop with either a Windows based desktop or laptop instead of going to the Mac? All comments appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:29 AM

I was much like you in that I was a Windows user and iPhone and iPad user. I never wanted to cross over to the dark side but I did when my laptop died. I bought a Mac Pro. It is by far the best decision I have made. It has exceeded my expectations and not having to worry about viruses gives you piece of mind. There will be a little learning curve but nothing that can't be solved easily. When, if, you buy a Mac take advantage of the classes they will offer as they are a great learning tool. This is just my opinion. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:19 AM

I also was a windows user for ever it seems.Don`t even think twice make the change to apple.I have a 27 inch I Mac which I love.Have had it for 2 plus years with not one problem,nothing.The learning curve for me was easy.They are a little more expensive but OOOO so worth it.I would leave my wife before I would go back to a windows operating system.Hope she doesn`t read this I might be out the door with my I Mac in hand "lol"

Last edited by john1953; 02-20-2015 at 03:21 AM. Reason: misspelled a word
Old 02-20-2015, 05:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok4933 View Post
I was much like you in that I was a Windows user and iPhone and iPad user. I never wanted to cross over to the dark side but I did when my laptop died. I bought a Mac Pro. It is by far the best decision I have made. It has exceeded my expectations and not having to worry about viruses gives you piece of mind. There will be a little learning curve but nothing that can't be solved easily. When, if, you buy a Mac take advantage of the classes they will offer as they are a great learning tool. This is just my opinion. Good luck.
I would not trade my Mac Book Pro for two Window based computers!!!!
Old 02-20-2015, 07:08 AM

Love my Mac, Ipad, and Iphone, they all sync so I can put an appt, contact information,
etc.. in my iphone and it syncs to all my other Apple devices. Transitioned my husband, started with Mac, then Ipad and now an Iphone about 3 weeks ago. He was totally against anything Apple when i first met him, now he admitted it is so user friendly that he's glad he's got it all! I converted in 2006 and never sorry.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:22 AM

Think of Windows as stick shift and Apple as automatic. Which do most prefer?
Old 02-20-2015, 08:09 AM

I recently had to make the same decision. I had a 4 year old Dell laptop and I have an IPhone 6. I decided to get a Dell XPS 27 "all in one" desktop. I do consulting and all my clients use Windows.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:17 AM
Platinum member

I converted to Apple about a year ago and never looked back. A bit of a learning curve, but David A Cox has many videos to get you through the transition.

http://pcclassesonline.com/how-to-use-a-mac/
Tampa, FL
Old 02-20-2015, 08:55 AM
Veteran member

I am agreement - Go with Mac.. I had no trouble learning - and I had windows at work and mac at home and even then I survived --- I am usually computer handicapped but Mac set me free !!!!
Old 02-20-2015, 08:59 AM
Gold member

I was a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) for more years than I care to remember. I watched the Windows operating system go from a user friendly tool to a totally convoluted mess. In January of 2006 I retired. I had to give back all my free computer hardware and software since I no longer was employed. I immediately went out and bought an Apple Mac Pro. I'm typing this post on the same Mac Pro today and it still works just like the day I bought it. You will pay upwards of twice as much for a MAC vs Windows system but it is so worth it. The MAC Pro works flawlessly.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:24 AM

Listen to Mike V. He knows what he's talking about. I was a die-hard Windows user until landing a job in an all-Mac facility in 1998. I now have a Mac Book... one of the first with an Intel processor that's about 9 years old, and an iMac that I picked up used. Both have been flawless. At work we needed a program that would only run on Windows. Tried it on a high-powered Dell and it worked OK. Then loaded on a Mac running Windows XP and it ran faster with fewer errors.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:13 AM

Anyone who has ever used a MAC will tell you how much they love it. I could never go back to a Windows' System. If you have an Iphone and an iPad you will love the way they sync. Don't even hesitate a moment about going with Apple.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:22 PM
Veteran member

Love my Mac. I was hesitant at first about switching, but am so glad I did. For those programs that are Windows based that you just have to have, get VM Ware. You can run windows programs on your mac in a virtual machine. You certainly can't run any Apple programs on a PC! I'm getting ready to order my 2nd MacBook Pro.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:54 AM

I like Apple and PC.Apple is much safer than a PC.The reason for this is restricted access to your computer. I compare it to owning a car that won't go over 70 mph,stops at caution lights and won't let you park in a spot that doesn't have at least 2 empty spaces on either side of it. Where a PC is like owning a car with no restrictions.They are different animals.To each their own.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I also vouch for Macs. I retired about 7 years ago and went out and bought an iMac, which I'm typing on now. I've never had so much as a glitch, a virus or software problem. I went on to get an iPhone and an iPad. I worked many years using a PC, but the transition was a snap. Its the difference between driving a Volkswagon and a Cadillac. I also love the way all my toys (phone, iPad, computer) sync. I've never met anyone who has an Apple that is unhappy, unlike all the people I hear moaning and groaning about their PC's.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.