Apple Watch

Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2015, 06:44 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcdonald View Post
Ordered just after 3 am on April 10 and still waiting.

I ordered the 42mm black Sport, the most popular model.
My son ordered the same one. He too is still waiting!
Tampa, FL
Old 05-08-2015, 06:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
During my lifetime we have gone from no television to 7 inch screens with cathode ray picture tubes and tube!

Then to 14 inch to 26 inch and then wow the the Sony Trintron 36 ich flat cathode ray picture tube (takes 5 grown men to carry it!).

We progress to solid state circuitry.

Then comes the 20 inch flat screen hanging on the wall for a mere $19,000.
Time marches on. Cathode ray tubes give way to 36', 46" 56" 65" and 75" and above flat screen LCD....LED'....

A 65" flat screen TV weighs less than 60 pounds.
Prices are down to less than $500 for a 64 inch screen.

Then comes the iphones....first small and noy medium to too big to put in your pocket....along with iPads....etc....etc...

I waited a long time to have my 70 inch with home theatre.
I have a 30 inch computer monitor and an iPad.

I refuse to regress back to something smaller than when I started this catharsis on screen size.
No I will not be getting a one inch square screen........

It is so nice to be able to ride the technology wave and have so many choices.

I know those who want the watch will enjoy every second it offers (pun intended).

PS...I know I left some items out of the above evolution but it truly is amazing!!
You may have, but that was a great history lesson!
Old 05-08-2015, 06:51 PM
Gold member

I just got my first iPhone the 6+ after many years of Android phones. Ther are some things that I don't like on the iPhone but since I have an iPad and a MacBook I figured that it was time to switch. Don't see the need for an iWatch as of now. They are pretty pricey.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:56 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

I was on the fence for awhile, but decided to order one. I get many voicemails during the day while I am doing inspections, and I do not ever answer my phone during inspections...my iphone 6+ stays in my pocket and I answer business calls when I return to my office.

The other day my wife needed to get a hold of me for an emergency and I did not see/hear the voicemail until much later. She never calls me during inspections unless it is very important.

With the apple watch I will be able to see who is calling me or texting me without ever taking the phone out of my pocket. For this and many other reasons I think this will be worth it. I have read many articles on it, and folks say it allows them the freedom to "detach" from touching their phone as much.

I know that this is just the first version, with bugs, etc, and the next generations will get better....but I did order one. Now I'm just waiting.....I've been a "Mac guy" for over ten years...before it became common.....

I ordered the larger sport version, in space gray.....

Frank
Old 05-08-2015, 10:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

You have a very good reason to have one, Frank.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanemb View Post
Once you get one Apple device it is normal to gravitate to many more. I work with PCs all day long and they seem to just get poorer and poorer in quality, speed and maintenance requirements. I never thought I would switch to the Mac world but the first device made a believer out of me. I open my Macbook Pro and instantaneously it is ready to go. I have never had to reboot it except to install a software upgrade which is occasional and not once a month. I love my iPad and my iPhone 6+. I use to like tinkering with memory and system upgrades for PCs but that got old fast. When I turn it on I want it to work so I can read my email, surf the net and run the applications I use. My Mac does that every time. If you don't have one you don't know what you are missing. Well worth the added expense and learning curve. If you count the hours you waste messing with PCs and their virus protection you will come out way ahead with a Mac! Enough said. I am an apple-a-holic.
I totally agree. I was in the IT world for a lot of years and when I retired the first thing I bought was a MAC Book Pro then an iPhone and now an iPad.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:24 AM
Veteran member

I've had my sports watch for almost 2 weeks now. You're right in that it's handiest feature is the ability to know that you're receiving a phone call or a text without pulling out your phone. If you're in the middle of something you can then decide what and when you need to do about it. I've turned off sounds on incoming notifications so I just receive a subtle (but noticeable) tapping on my wrist to tell me there's an incoming communication.

Battery life is very good. I'm able to make it through an entire day, although turning on the exercise app for a couple of hours will chew through the battery and leave it at about 10% by the end of the day. I've turned off the feature that automatically turns on the display when you raise your wrist to improve the battery life. I find it just as easy to turn on the display when I want with a single tap to the watch face.

Making and receiving phone calls on the watch is somewhat limited because of the speaker size and microphone. With my poorer hearing, I find it difficult to understand incoming calls so far, so I don't use it for this. Sending text messages however is pretty easy, using the microphone to convert speech to text (since there isn't a keyboard.)

All in all, I'd have to say it's a pretty "techie" device. I'm glad my spouse decided against getting one...don't think they would have found it useful enough to justify the expense. But I think it has great potential. After all, look how far the iPhones have come from the original model in 2007.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:34 AM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
I've had my sports watch for almost 2 weeks now. You're right in that it's handiest feature is the ability to know that you're receiving a phone call or a text without pulling out your phone. If you're in the middle of something you can then decide what and when you need to do about it. I've turned off sounds on incoming notifications so I just receive a subtle (but noticeable) tapping on my wrist to tell me there's an incoming communication.

Battery life is very good. I'm able to make it through an entire day, although turning on the exercise app for a couple of hours will chew through the battery and leave it at about 10% by the end of the day. I've turned off the feature that automatically turns on the display when you raise your wrist to improve the battery life. I find it just as easy to turn on the display when I want with a single tap to the watch face.

Making and receiving phone calls on the watch is somewhat limited because of the speaker size and microphone. With my poorer hearing, I find it difficult to understand incoming calls so far, so I don't use it for this. Sending text messages however is pretty easy, using the microphone to convert speech to text (since there isn't a keyboard.)

All in all, I'd have to say it's a pretty "techie" device. I'm glad my spouse decided against getting one...don't think they would have found it useful enough to justify the expense. But I think it has great potential. After all, look how far the iPhones have come from the original model in 2007.
Great post! I especially like my calendar coming up each day. Have even added "take out trash"--as we often forgot. Appointments are good to add. I tend to remember appointments but forget exact time. Now always on my watch. I also am paying attention to sunset and sunrise times.

My husband still undecided whether to get the watch, but I'm loving mine more each day.
Tampa, FL
Old 05-09-2015, 07:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

When I worked, I had a cell phone with me all the time for work related things. But now that I am retired, I don't see this need to always be connected. Maybe I'm not social enough, but it seems a little silly to me that one would need to answer a call while working out in the gym or playing a round of golf. I mean, how did people get by before cell phones? I don't even wear a watch anymore, since I retired. Do you really need that phone by your side every minute of the day? People can't even go for a walk without talking on their phone for the whole walk. They are missing the whole connection with their surroundings; birds, beautiful scenery, other people. There's this guy at the gym that sits on a machine, does one set, then sits there and surfs on his smart phone for a minute or two, then does another set, totally oblivious to anyone that may be waiting to use the machine. He spends more time surfing the net than he does exercising. There is a girl that does a lot of stretching/yoga who, I swear, NEVER looks up from her smart phone, constantly scrolling and texting. People are becoming more isolated with these "social" devices, and they don't even realize it. Rant over.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:27 AM
Platinum member

The people I am more connected to are my children and grandchildren.
Tampa, FL
Old 05-09-2015, 08:58 AM

I think the " Cicret watch " will be fare more useful then the apple watch. Look at the info on YouTube about Cicret and you will be astounded. Also look at " Things you never knew existed " on Freeze HD . Amazing new technologies being offered .

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.