Attic antennaes?

Closed Thread
Old 05-21-2015, 04:07 PM
Platinum member
Default Attic antennaes?

This is not exactly a computer related question. People are referring to antennaes that are installed in the attic for reception of local,stations. Do you know the make or model so I can go online and read about them. Some of the village people are getting great results and I might be interested. Thanks for anymhelp with this.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,146 Times in 2,245 Posts

I think make and model is a secret, I hope some responds as I have been doing some research also.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:18 PM

I just read the reviews and it says it is an outdoor antenna.

Would it work in an attic as well?
Old 05-22-2015, 07:39 AM
Gold member

I got mine at Walmart. Get the biggest that will fit in your attic and the best booster. We've had ours over a year and it works great.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:49 AM
Veteran member

We had a heat barrier with metal foil put up in our attic rafters ? I got a feeling this metallic foil heat barrier would greatly diminish signal to a antenna in our attic? has anyone tried a antenna with a metal foil heat barrier lnning all the attic rafters?

BTW contractors going up into our Attic have commented our attic temperature is a lot less then attics without the heat barrier.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:10 PM
Veteran member

Thanks for the input, I really didn't think it would work with the heat barrier. I guess I can buy some camouflage paint and put one up on the roof ( Oh I might need to paint it sky blue with white clouds)
Old 05-23-2015, 09:19 PM
Platinum member
Smile Read the rules

The same FCC rule that permits TV reception dishes on the outside of your house also permits other outside TV antennas. You are not limited to a stealth antenna in the attic if the antenna is designed to receive over-the-air TV signals.

This from the FCC website: The rule (47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000) has been in effect since October 1996, and it prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming. The rule applies to video antennas including direct-to-home satellite dishes that are less than one meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas. The rule prohibits most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation, maintenance or use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation, maintenance or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal.

https://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-...n-devices-rule

You might want to discuss this with whoever enforces your CC&Rs. They can restrict ham radio antennas, but not outside over-the-air TV antennas.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:27 PM

We recently put in an attic antenna. We have great reception from Orlando; CBS, ABC, FOX, and many other channels. They all come in crystal clear, even better than Prism TV, which we had before. Before that we had Direct TV. We just decided to bite the bullet and stop using Prism, etc, we only watch a handfull of channel, don't want to pay for all the channels we DON'T watch. We use Sling TV and Apple to get, ESPN ESPN2' HGTV, Food network and various other channels. Our only issue is that we cannot get NBC. We are wondering if anyone else out there has had the same problem and solved it.
By the way, we now pay $50 a month for TV, Home phone and internet.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:38 AM
Veteran member

It seems to me like the better TV antennas are directional in nature. Here in NC, you have to point them in one direction to get some channels and in another direction for other channels, etc. In The Villages, can you just point the antenna at Orlando or are there other stations scattered about for which you may need to re-point the antenna or use a less effective omnidirectional antenna?
Old 11-16-2015, 09:12 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to nrmwrn11

Please forward any responses to NRMWRN@aol, Im still looking

Norman Werner
Old 11-29-2015, 12:45 PM

Just had a DB8e antenna installed in my attic in Mallory. Works great and am getting many channels including all of the locals (ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox) in HD. Picture quality is as good or better than cable.....
Old 11-29-2015, 05:25 PM

I have this one installed in my attic. Originally, I had it installed on my satellite mast, but couldn't get NBC. After moving to my attic, I got much better reception. There is something a little goofy about NBC, as it scans twice on my TV's, both times as 2.1DT. However, the second of the two is the best reception. It really is HD.

I am in Hemmingway.

Just read Tom's explanation of the NBC signal. It looks like I am picking up the Ocala signal even though the antenna is pointing to Orlando. Must be good luck. Better not mess with it.

Also, the antenna I have has a rotor on it. Completely useless in the attic, so not a necessary feature.

Last edited by RVRoadie; 11-29-2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:02 PM

Has anyone had any luck with the table top or window antennas. What is the brand of antenna installed in the attic?
Old 02-13-2016, 11:19 AM

I installed an outside antenna on my house. I live north of Route 466. It works great.
Purchased it on Amazon for under $40. The model number is WA-2608 by SF Cable.
It comes with 40 feet of coax and a 4 footer from the amplifier and the tv.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:24 PM

Whatever Tom from VillagesAV recommends is the right answer. He installed ours about a year ago and we have been enjoying free TV ever since.

Thanks Tom!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.