Attic antennaes?

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2016, 04:13 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by duhbear View Post
Whatever Tom from VillagesAV recommends is the right answer. He installed ours about a year ago and we have been enjoying free TV ever since.

Thanks Tom!
Old 02-13-2016, 05:12 PM

Have antenna pointed towards orlando. Pick most networks except for nbc. Can a second antenna be installed to pick up nbc from gainsville. Both using the same single coax?
Old 02-14-2016, 07:18 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob&Gail View Post
Have antenna pointed towards orlando. Pick most networks except for nbc. Can a second antenna be installed to pick up nbc from gainsville. Both using the same single coax?
Try a booster on the antenna you have first. I bought the best one Walmart had and it works great. I bought the cheap one first and took it back because it didn't work.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You may wish to talk with Tom at VillagesAV.com. He installed our antenna and it works well. He is very knowledgeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob&Gail View Post
Old 02-27-2016, 11:41 AM

Tom: Is that Antennas Direct Clear Stream 5 a UHF, VHF, or combination?
Old 04-06-2016, 08:18 AM

Is there anyone in the Brownwood area that has installed an in attic TV antenna by Tom at VillageSav that can tell me how it works ?
Old 04-06-2016, 07:36 PM
Veteran member

can the brownwood area pick up hd tv as well??
Old 04-06-2016, 08:08 PM

I could not receive nbc either. Played with antenna rotated it to about 110 degrees southeast. I now get nbc relatively well. Can still be hit and miss at certain times
Old 04-06-2016, 08:27 PM

I live in lake Deaton. Tom put my antenna in several months ago. If your a diehard tv watchers it's not for you. I get abc nbc cbs and fox. Half a dozen oldie stations ie. gun smoke, bay watch, rifleman etc. etc. lots od Spanish and god stations. Delete those from your tv. It does save $100 or more depending on your cable package. Kept internet for computer, phones, and smart tv. You might want netfix option. Might get hotspot and drop internet from comcast also
Old 04-07-2016, 12:00 AM
Gold member

So if we install (Have Tom install) an antenna and cancel DirecTV. What is the best option for streaming? We have Amazon Prime but find the selection limited.

Is HuLu or Netflix better as far as recent series etc? Or Apple TV or Roku? So many options that I know nothing about....

I guess we would also need to buy TiVo as we would be giving up our DirecTV DVR, right?

Now it is sounding overwhelming.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You need to differentiate between the device that allows you to stream video via the internet and the service that provides the material you are streaming. Apple TV, Roku, Bluray players with streaming capability, Smart TVs (which have streaming capabilities), etc. are devices. Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon Prime, etc. are services that provide material and can be accessed with the above devices. There is no need for a DVR with the video streaming services since the material is always available. There are DVRs that will work with an over-the-air antennas such as ChannelMaster or Tivo. You may want to have such a device because the over-the-air material is on a specific transmission schedule.

There is no "best" option for streaming. If you have multiple Apple products then you would probably like the Apple TV. Roku is a popular choice since it has access to a large amount of streaming material. The services you choose will be based on what you want to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
So if we install (Have Tom install) an antenna and cancel DirecTV. What is the best option for streaming? We have Amazon Prime but find the selection limited.

Is HuLu or Netflix better as far as recent series etc? Or Apple TV or Roku? So many options that I know nothing about....

I guess we would also need to buy TiVo as we would be giving up our DirecTV DVR, right?

Now it is sounding overwhelming.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:55 AM
Question Getting cable from attic to wall outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jima64 View Post
This is not exactly a computer related question. People are referring to antennaes that are installed in the attic for reception of local,stations. Do you know the make or model so I can go online and read about them. Some of the village people are getting great results and I might be interested. Thanks for anymhelp with this.
How easy is it to get a cable from the attic down to a wall outlet in a frame house?
Old 04-17-2016, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstevens View Post
How easy is it to get a cable from the attic down to a wall outlet in a frame house?
I was looking to run some low voltage wiring to a homemade wood cornice over my patio door ( I wanted LED uplighting) One look in the attic convinced me not to even attempt it. Between the duct work, and the limited head room (especially near the patio sliders) I decided to give up on this idea.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.