Computer Disk F is full

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2018, 03:39 PM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Computer Disk F is full

I would like a name of a computer tech to come to my house and fix the problem. Most of the previous post are old. The disk is infected with the latest Windows update #1803. I have reset the computer many times and this time it doesn't work. " Help" Thank You in advance Len & Mary
Old 06-13-2018, 04:09 PM
Sage

My computer has the same problem after Windows Update #1803. Apparently, this is a known bug, so why doesn't Windows FIX it? It is very annoying being alerted 20 times per hour.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:40 AM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Computer Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
My computer has the same problem after Windows Update #1803. Apparently, this is a known bug, so why doesn't Windows FIX it? It is very annoying being alerted 20 times per hour.
Carla, Jon Townsend just left here and my computer is working GREAT Jon 352-250-1686
Old 06-15-2018, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Mrs. Carla, now it started on our last Windows machine that I couldn't get rid of because it is to new. Only 6 years old. LOL. It also has an update that will not install for the life of me. No way. Probably the one to fix this problem. These Window Computers are Heartbreakers.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:58 AM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

I had benn having problems too after the updating, but it looks like Dell stepped in to fix it with its own updating.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:02 AM

The answer is an Apple Mac
Old 06-15-2018, 11:29 AM
Veteran member

A better option is a Chromebook. It never gets a virus or malware. All files go to the cloud (15g free, a 100g is only $1.99/month), updates happen without you even knowing it.

I'll be at Eisenhower on Monday, July 23rd for a workshop. I'll have a table for the Chromebook, come on by and learn about it.

I've worked on IBM mainframes, IBM Pcs, Apple pcs, Texas Instruments mini computer (not a pc) and many other computers over the years. I find it suits my needs.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:03 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

If you are experiencing computer issues, please give us a call at Computer Corner!

Computer Corner • Computer Repair, Sales & Service

(352) 460-1155 • 205 W. North Blvd • Leesburg, Fl 34748
Mon-Fri 9am-5pm

Click Here To Visit Our Website!
(Office) 352-460-1155
(Store) 205 W. North Blvd (441), Leesburg, Fl. 34748
(Website) http://www.ComputerCornerFL.com
Old 07-13-2018, 08:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427dave View Post
The answer is an Apple Mac

Ditto! I worked for years in the Windows world but had been using Macs for personal use before retirement. Once I retired it was all Apple products. Amazing how trouble free they are I have friends who call me regularly to fix their Windoze machines. Never get calls from Mac users.

P.S. I also use an Acer Chromebook for the $200 I paid for it, it’s a great machine.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
A better option is a Chromebook. It never gets a virus or malware. All files go to the cloud (15g free, a 100g is only $1.99/month), updates happen without you even knowing it.

I'll be at Eisenhower on Monday, July 23rd for a workshop. I'll have a table for the Chromebook, come on by and learn about it.

I've worked on IBM mainframes, IBM Pcs, Apple pcs, Texas Instruments mini computer (not a pc) and many other computers over the years. I find it suits my needs.
Why do people continue to not address the original posters issues? Apple? Chromebook? They are Windows users and have invested considerable funds in their current tech. I'm sure they do not want to change platforms, only resolve their issue.

Chromebooks are great, but not germane to this post for help.

Start a new thread on your Chromebook events. I'll be sure to support you.

Last edited by SFSkol; 07-14-2018 at 12:17 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:03 AM
Veteran member

'F" disk? It's very unusual to find a PC with system drives beyond the "D" drive. If the 'F" drive is a removable drive you might resolve the issue by inserting a larger drive. Windows update can usually work on a 16gb USB drive, might take forever though. Clean your PC CrapCleaner (CCleaner), and be sure to get rid of all your old Windows updates and logs.

Last edited by SFSkol; 07-14-2018 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:39 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,475 Times in 703 Posts

Start with a little bit of house cleaning. Empty the recycle bin, then go into windows explorer and right click on a drive and find the disk cleanup button and purge everything, do this again but instead click on the clean system files and again purge all the files. Do this for each drive. (See pics 1 & 2)

Then do some digging and do some manual purging. First make sure in the folder options you have turned on (see pic 3). Delete any folders in the root directories that look like they have random file name, these are normally temp folders for software installs. (When I say purge, delete the contents of the folder and not the folder itself.) Next start digging in the drive for any "temp" folders such as C:\Users\micro\AppData\Local\Temp were micro shown here is any one of the user names for the computer and purge any files in these folders. Look also in the \Windows folder there are also temp folders sometime buried several levels down. Purge any Temporary Internet Files folders you find. Some application create their own temp folders (see pic 4) these can usually be purged or deleted as the applications will recreate as necessary.

Generally if a file is in a temp folder it can be deleted safely, some files will not delete because they are in use, just leave them alone. This assumes you are not storing your personal data and files in a temp folder (very very poor practice).

After you purge the files then empty the recycle bin again. Do these purges for each HDD that shows up on your computer. I do this house keeping routine once a month on my systems. Don't be surprised if you free up several dozen Gig of space and delete thousands of files, this is normal for a machine that hasn't been cleaned in a while (or ever). Drop me a PM if you have more questions.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen capture 023 14-Jul-18 12.16.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	75723   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen capture 024 14-Jul-18 12.17.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	75724   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen capture 025 14-Jul-18 12.19.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	75725   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen capture 026 14-Jul-18 12.34.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	75726  
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 07-14-2018, 11:50 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,475 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
'F" disk? It's very unusual to find a PC with system drives beyond the "D" drive. If the 'F" drive is a removable drive you might resolve the issue by inserting a larger drive. Windows update can usually work on a 16gb USB drive, might take forever though. Clean your PC CrapCleaner (CCleaner), and be sure to get rid of all your old Windows updates and logs.
The "F" disc or similarly higher labeled drives are normally a recovery volume created on the physical drive by the system manufacturer creates that some software updates will attempt to use, the W10 upgrade is famous for doing this and can cause problems. Do a cleanup of the drive like I mentioned in my previous post to clean up some of this.

Below is a screen shot from one of my computers that shows the drives (yes I'm a computer geek) where you'll see the second and ninth drives don't have letter assigned and are labeled as EFI System and OEM partitions, these sometimes are assigned drive letters and will be the source of the problem because of the size and free space available.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen capture 028 14-Jul-18 12.48.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	75727  
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 07-14-2018, 12:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
The "F" disc or similarly higher labeled drives are normally a recovery volume created on the physical drive by the system manufacturer creates that some software updates will attempt to use, the W10 upgrade is famous for doing this and can cause problems. Do a cleanup of the drive like I mentioned in my previous post to clean up some of this.

Below is a screen shot from one of my computers that shows the drives (yes I'm a computer geek) where you'll see the second and ninth drives don't have letter assigned and are labeled as EFI System and OEM partitions, these sometimes are assigned drive letters and will be the source of the problem because of the size and free space available.
@Goldwingnut
Now that's what I consider an answer! (one post above.)
CCleaner will do the majority of what you suggest and also remove internet cache directories.

Most users are not aware of the other 'drives', by default Windows does not show Hidden or System folders, or hidden partitions. I see you have turned the view option on. Windows should not be using those hidden drives, areas for temporary storage updates.

Your cleaning suggestion post should be a sticky here. I've seen sooooo many requests for help that would be fixed by following your suggestions.

(PC repair 25 years)
Old 07-15-2018, 08:06 AM
Veteran member

One of the reasons I don't start a Chromebook thread is because it is so easy to use, doesn't get viruses and doesn't need all the help people here offer.

I do recognize that people spent good money on a PC and that some people need a PC for the programs they need for work or home entertainment, after all, I too have a laptop running Windows 7 (although I plan on stop using it next year). But, I use my Chromebook 99% of the time because it IS so easy to use. People can do what I did, buy a cheap Chromebook and test it out, it's not an all or nothing decision. I've upgrade my Chromebook twice now and I plan on getting a even newer one in the year or so. Like all PCs, newer ones have more power to run new apps.

The more you learn about Chromebooks the more I think you be impressed. For over 40 years we've been directed by Apple and Microsoft on what a computer should be.

By the way, did you know Chromebooks out sold the Apple Mac in 2016?

You get 15GB free with your Gmail account and can get 100GB more for only $1.99/mo. It's all on the cloud, so there is no need for backups.
Closed Thread

Tags
computer, disk, time, times, reset

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.