blocking ads

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2015, 09:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default blocking ads

How do I block ALL ads in Win 8.1? TIA Bob

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 07-14-2015, 09:42 AM

I don't recommend installing ad blockers as they can cause unexpected problems with websites, not to mention that they deprive websites that provide free content of revenue they need to continue providing the content without charging a fee.

That said, if you understand the drawbacks and are prepared to deal with figuring out whether a problem you're having with a website is due to your ad blocker or not then the uBlock Origin ad blocker (available for Chrome and Firefox) is fairly lightweight and effective at blocking ads. I used it for a year or so but lately gave up on it due to too many websites having issues because of it.
--
bc
Old 07-14-2015, 10:10 AM
Platinum member
Default Popup ads

I only find ads,that popup in the middle annoying and recommend trying to block them. I know websites need income to cover cost. Tov does it right in my mind with the ads on the sides. I do not use or go to websites,that are heavy into popup ads.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Thanks guys

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 07-15-2015, 06:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member

AD block plus. It's free, effective and easy to disable if you want a certain website's ads.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:23 PM
Sage

I also recommend Adblock Plus. I have been using it for years.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:47 PM

For what its worth, uBlock evolved from AdBlock. The focus was coming up with something that was as effective (or better) that used less memory and didn't slow down your browser as much. So if you use AdBlock and find it sluggish, you may want to try uBlock as an alternative.
--
bc
Old 07-15-2015, 02:43 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcronin View Post
For what its worth, uBlock evolved from AdBlock. The focus was coming up with something that was as effective (or better) that used less memory and didn't slow down your browser as much. So if you use AdBlock and find it sluggish, you may want to try uBlock as an alternative.
--
bc
I recently installed AdBlock Plus and haven't seen any downside so far. It couldn't possibly be more sluggish than having all of the ads. I don't mind some ads and realize that it's the way to keep sites free to the posters. Entrepreneurs need to make a living too. There has to be a limit I would think. When they make surfing a not so nice experience, perhaps they've gotten out of hand. With AdBlock Plus you can add back in the ones that are of interest to you or the less space consuming ones.

Xavier
Old 07-22-2015, 08:17 AM
Veteran member

Just installed AdBlock Plus from Firefox add-ons, outstanding!
Old 08-18-2015, 08:42 AM
Veteran member

AdBlock Plus gives me “invalid url error” on Netflix. No amount of option changes will change this. I had to remove AdBlock Plus and refresh Firefox. Problem solved.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMayor View Post
AdBlock Plus gives me “invalid url error” on Netflix. No amount of option changes will change this. I had to remove AdBlock Plus and refresh Firefox. Problem solved.
My problem with Netflix showed itself ever couple of days. Two days after I removed AdBlock Plus my problem returned. I gave up and called Netflix, turns out the address I saved a year ago 'www.dvd.netflix.com is now 'www.dvd.com. My apology to AdBlock Plus you are still outstanding.

Tags
ads, win, bob, tia, block, blocking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.