Microsoft Pro 3 Surface tablet

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2015, 03:36 PM
Default Microsoft Pro 3 Surface tablet

I am thinking about replacing my laptop with the Microsoft surface tablet. Can anyone give me feedback or recommendations about this item? Thanks!
Old 02-13-2015, 03:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

My DIL loves hers. The one disadvantage I have heard about it is that it won't "sit up" very well, like a laptop. So if you really do want to use it on your lap, it's more difficult. It has a little extension on the back that is supposed to stabilize the screen and make it sit up, but some say that only works well when you have the Surface sitting on a solid surface, like a desk.

I sit on the couch with my laptop watching TV and reading email and stuff, and I'm not sure this would work well under that condition. But I am really drawn to the Surface and hope you will report back if you get one.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:25 PM

This might help you out: CNET usually have pretty good reviews.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 review - CNET
Old 02-13-2015, 05:08 PM
Sage

I like the reviews of The Wire Cutter.
click here to see what they have to say--it's towards the bottom
I use 17 inch envy laptop. I don't like touching the screen. I have a nexus 7 I rarely touch anymore.
My sons gf has the surface pro but she works for microsoft and she likes it.

I'm a big chromebook fan although I don't own one.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:03 PM

I have a surface tablet, not thrilled with it. Issues to numerous, next time I will go back to the I Pad.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sligo View Post
I have a surface tablet, not thrilled with it. Issues to numerous, next time I will go back to the I Pad.
Could you please at least briefly list some of the worst issues, Sligo, for some of to consider? I really don't like my iPad and only keep it because it has unlocked cellular feature that can be used abroad. My main complaint about it is having to toggle among three keyboards. The Surface looked like everything was on one keyboard.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:59 AM

Ipad is a toy compared to Surface Pro.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:17 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Could you please at least briefly list some of the worst issues, Sligo, for some of to consider? I really don't like my iPad and only keep it because it has unlocked cellular feature that can be used abroad. My main complaint about it is having to toggle among three keyboards. The Surface looked like everything was on one keyboard.
I have been considering the Surface Pro because it has a USB port and the Microsoft Office Suite integration. Would like to hear the issues. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Had a Surface Pro 1 from work. Had a few serious problems I could deal with and from what I have read Microsoft has fixed. Just got a Surface Pro 3 and the old problems have not surfaced and I did not expect them to. Be sure to get the keyboard. It can be a little hard to type on but better than the screen.
With the pen you can also write on the screen keyboard and your handwriting is changed into type and put into the correct place on the screen. Eliminates pecking each letter on the screen.
I would also get the. pen. I think without it I would have problems just using my figures.

Remember it will run Microsoft Office but it does not come with it. I put an old copy of office that I owned on it and it works fine. I can also run Quicken and Turbo Tax on it. You have to transfer the software from another computer with a disk or make an ISO file since there is no CD drive built in. The price can be high but I wanted to be able to run software programs that ran on my laptop.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:48 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Ipad is a toy compared to Surface Pro.
I agree. The pro three is great. A pad without a usb is a joke. We have the old surface but my son has the new 3 and I have used it and its great. Fast and powerful does anything my laptop will and then some. I have to use a stilus or a Bluetooth mouse because I am not very coordinated and a touch screen is a problem for me. There are many cases available that in addition to protecting it have a sturdy stand that makes it easier to use on your lap.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:18 PM

I truly appreciate everyone's feedback and will take everything said into consideration before making a purchase. Thank you all, I'll let you know my final decision.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:39 PM
Veteran member

There are some deals here: Best Laptops for Sale & Laptop Deals
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.