Can someone help me retrieve data from a damaged thumbdrive?

Closed Thread
Old 06-07-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
$100 to transfer data from a broken flash drive to a new one is dirt cheap. Depending on how much data needs to be transferred, this can cost upwards to over $1000. Next time, don't leave your laptop on the couch.
I'm sure or hope this post was meant as a joke......
Old 06-07-2020, 10:25 AM
Send a message via AIM to Tsalla Apopka
Default Thumbdrives can be very simple

Many thumb-drives are merely a solid state IC with contacts sticking out. The case just goes around the IC (integrated circuit - electronic components encased in epoxy).
If it worked for a while it sounds like one of the leads is broken. Ten minute job for a good tech with a small soldering iron.
If the data itself is not damaged then it's a simple cheap job to transfer it after repairing the IC.
Where high cost comes is if the data has been damaged by overwriting, deleting or physical damage to the actual medium. Even at $45/hour a $1000 (22 hours) is a big job.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:31 AM
Platinum member

Take it to U-Break We-Fix. See what they say. They'll give you a fair price on the spot. Many clubs recommend them for phone repairs too. They're off 441 in Wedgwood Plaza.
Skip
Old 06-07-2020, 02:41 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Thumb drive should be a back up to hard drive. Then it would not be such a problem
Old 06-07-2020, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
Thumb drive should be a back up to hard drive. Then it would not be such a problem
I'm a redundancy addict. I save all my files to my USB. I have all my programs on my USB. I basically use my USB port as a primary file drive, and my hard drive as my bootup disk. I also have everything on my hard drive in a sub-directory. I also have it in the cloud. I also have several programs and files replicated on my tablet, laptop, and cell phone. The files on those I update occasionally - maybe a couple times every year. But they're all up to date on my USB and the cloud, and my hard drive.

Plus I have everything backed up to a different cloud server, AND in another partition on my hard drive.

With or without power, with or without internet, I can read a book, watch a movie, access all of my files, including a cookbook that I'm writing, so I can still make all my recipes even if my computer breaks.

I'd add an SSD drive to all of this, but I think that's a bit over the top
Old 06-08-2020, 04:32 PM
Veteran member

Gizmo Depot has repaired two iPhones for us. Very good work, very fast, and reasonably priced.
Closed Thread

Tags
data, stick, usb, load, $100.00

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.