Cell Phone Plans

Cell Phone Plans

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 02-15-2019, 04:23 PM
Platinum member

FYI, almost all cell phone services now operate on a no contract basis. You can buy or lease the phone on an installment or term basis, or pay cash. But, for the monthly service, you do not sign a long term contract.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Sage

OP, if your reception problem is inside your house, you may have 2 options. First check and see if your phone can use WiFi calling feature, if so, you can receive and make calls over your own WiFi system. The other is to ask AT&T for a 'microcell' for your house, at no or low cost.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:47 AM

We have AT&T service through Consumer Cellular (no contract). I pay less than $50.00 per month for two phones. While reception is spotty at times, it is not a major inconvenience.
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milano and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).
Old 02-16-2019, 07:45 AM
Platinum member

AT&T stopped selling the Microcell boxes at the end of 2017. I am not sure when they will discontinue support but it's days are numbered, assuming they haven't already discontinued support. If anyone wants one, PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OP, if your reception problem is inside your house, you may have 2 options. First check and see if your phone can use WiFi calling feature, if so, you can receive and make calls over your own WiFi system. The other is to ask AT&T for a 'microcell' for your house, at no or low cost.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post

Hope this helps.
I do use wi-fi calling, but if the internet is down, I can't call at all. I also tried a micro cell. Same problem if the internet goes down.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:53 AM

Verizon has a 55+ plan. Two lines, unlimited talk, text, and data. $80 + tax. I have this, and it's a great deal.

T-Mobile is terrible here in The Villages. We had it for 2 years and switched back last year to Verizon due to poor service. When Irma went through, we lost service for nearly two weeks on T-Mobile. Never again.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:09 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrvalley View Post
Verizon has a 55+ plan. Two lines, unlimited talk, text, and data. $80 + tax. I have this, and it's a great deal.

T-Mobile is terrible here in The Villages. We had it for 2 years and switched back last year to Verizon due to poor service. When Irma went through, we lost service for nearly two weeks on T-Mobile. Never again.
I'm surprised. I have T-Mobile and haven't had any issued at all. Great customer service and not one dropped call, anywhere in the Villages. YMMV

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 02-17-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
I'm surprised. I have T-Mobile and haven't had any issued at all. Great customer service and not one dropped call, anywhere in the Villages. YMMV
T-Mobile is great here in Winifred, but they don't have nearly as many local towers as Verizon, so your coverage is going to be more sensitive to your location.
--
bc
Old 02-17-2019, 04:37 PM
Platinum member

I think that every cell phone network review I have ever read has rated Verizon as the best network. So, if you want the best call service, why use any other network? If you want to save money, that is a different matter.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think that every cell phone network review I have ever read has rated Verizon as the best network. So, if you want the best call service, why use any other network? If you want to save money, that is a different matter.

well I disagree with you.. I had verizon for several years and yes I never had a problem but they were expensive for 2 phones.. I switched to Cricket and as I stated earlier haven't had any problems with them over the 4 years with them.. also I haven't ever seen a bad post about them.. and as far $$$ yes I prefer paying $70 a month for 2 phones compared to about $125 when I switched from verizon

Tags
phone, cell, poor, suggestions, at&t