Cell Phone Service Provider?

Old 04-05-2021, 07:16 PM
Default Cell Phone Service Provider?

I am very disappointed in our current cell phone service provider, and considering a change. Would like to have comments, good or bad, regarding SPECTRUM cell service. We are satisfied with the Spectrum CABLE service we now have for TV.

We live in Desoto and it's not unusual to have horrible reception with Verizon. Frequently we, have to go over by a window, or outside, to use the phone. This is not exactly "Hooterville", and think we deserve better after putting up with this for over two years. Anyone with Spectrum cell phone service SOUTH of 44 have any advise or comment? Thanks

Old 04-05-2021, 07:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I don't know which cellphones you own but most contemporary cellphones support Wi-Fi calling. With Wi-Fi calling, your cellphone will essentially do Voice-over-IP via your Wi-Fi router (using the Wi-Fi protocol instead of the normal 4G or 5G protocol) within your home (or outside your house to some degree depending on the quality of your router). You should have "5 bar" quality. Of course, once you leave your house, your cellphone will have to use the cell towers and that may be an issue depending on where you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditka41 View Post
I am very disappointed in our current cell phone service provider, and considering a change. Would like to have comments, good or bad, regarding SPECTRUM cell service. We are satisfied with the Spectrum CABLE service we now have for TV.

We live in Desoto and it's not unusual to have horrible reception with Verizon. Frequently we, have to go over by a window, or outside, to use the phone. This is not exactly "Hooterville", and think we deserve better after putting up with this for over two years. Anyone with Spectrum cell phone service SOUTH of 44 have any advise or comment? Thanks

Old 04-05-2021, 08:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,244 Times in 4,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
I don't know which cellphones you own but most contemporary cellphones support Wi-Fi calling. With Wi-Fi calling, your cellphone will essentially do Voice-over-IP via your Wi-Fi router (using the Wi-Fi protocol instead of the normal 4G or 5G protocol) within your home (or outside your house to some degree depending on the quality of your router). You should have "5 bar" quality. Of course, once you leave your house, your cellphone will have to use the cell towers and that may be an issue depending on where you are.
What he said...

Our service (AT&T) was very iffy at out home (Oceola Hills @ Soaring Eagle). But since we installed our wi-fi, reception in and around the house is perfect...

We occasionally have issues elsewhere in TV, but it was nothing compared to our home...

Old 04-05-2021, 08:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Spectrum uses the Verizon network so doubt your service will improve until Verizon installs more access. We are just north of 44 and switched to Spectrum 6 months ago with no issues plus they are, at a minimum 40% less expensive based on our usage.

Berks County Pennsylvania

Old 04-06-2021, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,898 Times in 913 Posts

There are long range wireless access devices to look into to get reception up to 500 feet or almost 2 football fields away from your house. . . you might want to check into that when using wifi calling.

sportsguy

Old 04-07-2021, 10:05 AM

mobile over 55 plan- had no service problems.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

We had been using Mint Mobile for about 9 months and it was flawless everywhere. They merged with Sprint I believe and down the drain they went. Mint was so cheap and good it is a real shame they went bad.

We changed back to Xfinity Mobile and things for the moment are fine again. I'm trying to not go back to Verizon. That is my ultimate goal N.F.W.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

we're quite happy with Consumer Cellular, $54/month for 2 lines voice/text/data

Old 04-11-2021, 01:05 PM

Appreciate the info. Thanks for the good comments. I am not real great with the options on my cell phone. I went to "settings", turned on "Wi-Fi", and it improved considerably. Now, usually see 3 or 4 bars (on the phone) and can deal with it much better.

Old 04-11-2021, 01:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Excellent! Another happy Villager! This is the value of these forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditka41 View Post
Appreciate the info. Thanks for the good comments. I am not real great with the options on my cell phone. I went to "settings", turned on "Wi-Fi", and it improved considerably. Now, usually see 3 or 4 bars (on the phone) and can deal with it much better.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

I've used Verizon for decades...pleased with the service and just not interested in the hassle of trying to save a few dollars and ending up with lousy service and then having to switch all over again

Old 04-12-2021, 10:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Possible

A few years ago the residents in the south end of the villages were having serious cell phone problems with AT&T. I was volunteering with a local organization and they asked me to help with the problem. I did. I collected about 500 names of residents who were
complaining. I contacted AT&T and met with their VP for Florida. He brought with him his lap top and showed me the areas not covered well with Towers. To build a Tower costs about $1M and can take up to 18 months. First the land, then Gov.approval, then building etc. A temporary solution, was he made arrangements for those residents to get a booster for the area's which helped until a tower could be built in those locations effected by the problem. Some got a booster free, some at half price, etc. Because of the rapid building in the south area's it may be sufficient towers have not been built yet thus the poor reception? It is sometimes hard for the infrastructure to keep up with the rapid changes in growth?

Old 04-12-2021, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,010 Times in 5,317 Posts

We have usedVerizon for quite some time and cell coverage is fine.

My only complaint is recently got rid of their technicians and now if you have a phone problem and need help they show you the door and tell you to go to somewhere like u break it i fix it.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts

If you are already a Comcast customer then I would recommend going with xfinity Mobil.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
I've used Verizon for decades...pleased with the service and just not interested in the hassle of trying to save a few dollars and ending up with lousy service and then having to switch all over again
$400.00/yr is a bit more than a few bucks.

Berks County Pennsylvania

Tags
service, cell, phone, spectrum, provider

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.