Century Link DSL (25Meg) service question

Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2018, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I just looked up your router and it does indeed support the faster wi-fi (N) connection. If you aren't getting full speeds on your wi-fi devices it could be because:

Those devices don't support "N" or they aren't properly configured (make sure your wei-fi device is connected to the proper wi-fi band) or your router isn't setup correctly.
CenturyLink sent the router and then set it up in house. The old one was pathetically slow before that. The installer said it was normal for a drop off and that was that. I don't think there is a faster speed with DSL and Centurylink.

Thanks for the advice. There are no other Century Link alternatives for me.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2018, 12:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
CenturyLink sent the router and then set it up in house. The old one was pathetically slow before that. The installer said it was normal for a drop off and that was that. I don't think there is a faster speed with DSL and Centurylink.

Thanks for the advice. There are no other Century Link alternatives for me.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Well, if you are next to your router and wifi speed is noticeably less than one of the things I suggested are wrong. If you are a distance from your router and experience that lower speed it is another story (depending on router and device).

As far as any installer's comments I wouldn't trust them. They want to get out as fast as they can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

ZyXel Model C1100Z CentuyLink as of this second if has been flawless. Ut Oh. Mine is 3 or 400 gigawatts whatever it takes. $36.07 a month. They have had two billing issues in a year and a half. I even passed a $400 deal from Concast and am happy I did.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
ZyXel Model C1100Z CentuyLink as of this second if has been flawless. Ut Oh. Mine is 3 or 400 gigawatts whatever it takes. $36.07 a month. They have had two billing issues in a year and a half. I even passed a $400 deal from Concast and am happy I did.
Thanks, that's what I needed. What download speeds did you purchase and what are you actually getting?

Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test
Old 01-06-2018, 08:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

Because my wife is self employed and did not want to lose her name recognition, she kept her maiden name when we married. Every time Comcast raises our rates we cancel and then immediately sign up again under the other persons name and get the new customer rate for a couple years. We just keep going back and forth under each other's name and never get price increases. I am not sure if this would work if we had the same last name?
Old 01-06-2018, 09:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Because my wife is self employed and did not want to lose her name recognition, she kept her maiden name when we married. Every time Comcast raises our rates we cancel and then immediately sign up again under the other persons name and get the new customer rate for a couple years. We just keep going back and forth under each other's name and never get price increases. I am not sure if this would work if we had the same last name?
HAHA! That is exactly what I did for years back in NJ with both Verizon Fios and DirecTV. Those 2 services use SSN and phone number and not name. Name shouldn't be an issue because you could have your aunt, uncle or any relative moving in.

Was thinking the same thing. I wonder how long you have to be "gone" to be considered NEW again. With DirecTV and Fios it was 2 years.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:24 PM

I have a Westell 7500 from my old DSL house. PM me if you want it for $20 rather than renting for $8/month.

Westell 7500
Specs Details
Picture
ADSL 6 Mbps
ADSL2+ 10 Mbps
VDSL2 N/A
GPON N/A
Bonded N/A
IPv6 No
Prism TV No
Wi-Fi B/G
Ports 4 Ethernet
Data Sheet Yes^
Support Level 1 ^ Not all features, ports [example: USB host port] an

Quote:
That is absolutely not the case. They may want you to believe it is though. In fact when I called to inquire they gave me the model number of one of the many modems (their words) that I could purchase. Netgear D200 available from Best Buy for $60 or ebay for about $25. They also list about 30 compatible models on their website but it depends on what incarnation of DSL they are using.

Modem Compatibility Table

If you have C.L. what is the model number (and brand) of the modem you are using?

EDIT: To clarify I need INTERNET ONLY. If you have TV and/or phone it is a different story. You may very well only use their device.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatskillBill View Post
I have a Westell 7500 from my old DSL house. PM me if you want it for $20 rather than renting for $8/month.

Westell 7500
Specs Details
Picture
ADSL 6 Mbps
ADSL2+ 10 Mbps
VDSL2 N/A
GPON N/A
Bonded N/A
IPv6 No
Prism TV No
Wi-Fi B/G
Ports 4 Ethernet
Data Sheet Yes^
Support Level 1 ^ Not all features, ports [example: USB host port] an

Thanks .. but while it is "supported" it only supports up to 10Mbps and doesn't have a Gig-E LAN port just 10/100.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:01 PM
Veteran member

If your ISP is at 25 Mbps what do you gain if your WIFI is 100Mbps? I have Centurylink 25Mbps. Works great no buffering, no slow downs. I just bought the router they were supplying. I believe it is an ActionTec 1900A. I like it. Simple to configure and gets the job done. I tested the download speed and I'm actually getting about 29Mbps down and 2Mbps up. No complaints.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9930 View Post
If your ISP is at 25 Mbps what do you gain if your WIFI is 100Mbps? I have Centurylink 25Mbps. Works great no buffering, no slow downs. I just bought the router they were supplying. I believe it is an ActionTec 1900A. I like it. Simple to configure and gets the job done. I tested the download speed and I'm actually getting about 29Mbps down and 2Mbps up. No complaints.

You are mostly right except I have 3 local ethernet connected devices (server & 2 clients) that greatly benefit from the faster gig-e speed switch in the router and I don't want to buy a switch. Also that modem in question only supports up to 10Mbps Dsl speed as I noted in my reply need vdsl2 (as you do) and get 25Mbps DSL. 10/100 4 port built in switch on the router has nothing to do with wi-fi just the hard wired ethernet connections.

Was looking at the Actiontec on eBay which was what I would go for if I have to mnake the switch to C.L. They're around $29-$39 used so I figure it's worth a shot. Just have to see how ComCrap responds to my cancellation. Hopefully it will all be moot. I'd prefer to stick with them for the 100Mbps internet speed which I now have.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 01-07-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
You are mostly right except I have 3 local ethernet connected devices (server & 2 clients) that greatly benefit from the faster gig-e speed switch in the router and I don't want to buy a switch. Also that modem in question only supports up to 10Mbps Dsl speed as I noted in my reply need vdsl2 (as you do) and get 25Mbps DSL. 10/100 4 port built in switch on the router has nothing to do with wi-fi just the hard wired ethernet connections.

Was looking at the Actiontec on eBay which was what I would go for if I have to mnake the switch to C.L. They're around $29-$39 used so I figure it's worth a shot. Just have to see how ComCrap responds to my cancellation. Hopefully it will all be moot. I'd prefer to stick with them for the 100Mbps internet speed which I now have.
I have some video camera servers running, security system, irrigation, one Desk top, my laptop, two cell phones, magic jack, two tablets, and two rokus. The wife can be streaming a HD program at the same time I'm doing the same. Never skips a beat. It works well. I used to use a separate Netgear Router attached to a Cable Modem. Originally was setup the same way when I first switched to CenturyLink. I had Marion County Cable. While the customer service for Marion County Cable was better then CenturyLink, Marion County Cable Internet pricing was way out of line. I decided to bite the bullet and dump the Netgear router and just use the ActionTec. Surprisingly the setup of the ActionTec was extremely easy to put my cameras out on the Internet. However there is one gotcha with the ActionTec. It will not let you loop back to talk to a local device. If you want to see if your configuration is correct to allow access over the Internet, you must get on a different network to check it out. I have no idea why they did it that way. Spent several hours with the CenturyLink Trouble Shooters. They never did figure it out, I finally saw a post on the internet. Went up to our club house and sure enough, it worked just fine. Could log into all my cameras, irrigation, etc. You can do it on your network you just have to use he devices local address. Can't loop out to the internet and then back in.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:30 AM
Sage

Surprisingly (after reading many other posts here and elsewhere to the contrary) I just called the ComCrap retention department planning on cancelling my internet service because my 1 yr promo is over if they couldn't offer me a new "deal". I was immediately offered the same promo rate as I started with for another year with zero hassle (other than trying to understand what she was saying). Another year of 100meg service for $55/month. So much for $45/mo for Century Link 25meg service ..... at least until Feb 1, 2019. They send an email with all the details to confirm so I am sure I got what she says.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Surprisingly (after reading many other posts here and elsewhere to the contrary) I just called the ComCrap retention department planning on cancelling my internet service because my 1 yr promo is over if they couldn't offer me a new "deal". I was immediately offered the same promo rate as I started with for another year with zero hassle (other than trying to understand what she was saying). Another year of 100meg service for $55/month. So much for $45/mo for Century Link 25meg service ..... at least until Feb 1, 2019. They send an email with all the details to confirm so I am sure I got what she says.
Its a shame its the way you have to do business now these days. Good for you.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:39 PM
Veteran member

Read the advertised speeds carefully.

Mbps and MBps are two completely different things. bits vs Bytes

Last edited by SFSkol; 01-08-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
Read the advertised speeds carefully.

Mbps and MBps are two completely different things. bits vs Bytes
Who advertises Bytes instead of Bits? By the way thanks for getting the nomenclature correct. B is for Byte, and b is for bit.
Closed Thread

Tags
dsl, service, century, link, modems

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.