Century Link Internet Speed Upgrade

Century Link Internet Speed Upgrade

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Century Link Internet Speed Upgrade
  #1  
Old 12-05-2018, 04:55 PM
Markam Markam is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 159
Default Century Link Internet Speed Upgrade

I have had Century Link 25 mbps service but needed more, so I just called them and found out I can now get 80 mbps service for $45 - just for the asking.

Wish they would have provided this upgrade without me having to inquire about it.

I called 888-723-8010 and followed the prompts to get to a person.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 12-05-2018, 05:18 PM
ureout ureout is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markam View Post
I have had Century Link 25 mbps service but needed more, so I just called them and found out I can now get 80 mbps service for $45 - just for the asking.

Wish they would have provided this upgrade without me having to inquire about it.

I called 888-723-8010 and followed the prompts to get to a person.

Good luck.
yes, I've had the 80 mbps for $45 for about 10 months and it stays the same price for life.. had to sign up for autopay also
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #3  
Old 12-05-2018, 09:47 PM
bob47 bob47 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Santiago
Posts: 151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
yes, I've had the 80 mbps for $45 for about 10 months and it stays the same price for life.. had to sign up for autopay also
It sounds like you are only buying internet from CenturyLink. Do you use some kind of VOIP for phone? If so, how is that working? Is 80 mbps fast enough to stream television?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-05-2018, 10:30 PM
Cajulian Cajulian is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
It sounds like you are only buying internet from CenturyLink. Do you use some kind of VOIP for phone? If so, how is that working? Is 80 mbps fast enough to stream television?

Thanks.
I have been streaming content using Roku and PlayStation Vue for the past 2 years using CenturyLinks 25 MBPS service. No problems with buffering. I also have an Over the Air antenna in my attic and get all broadcast Networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS) also as well as in my streaming package. Streaming will work well between 15 and 20 Mbps.
__________________
"I'm Outta Here ........ Gone Fishin or Bowlin"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-05-2018, 11:39 PM
biker1 biker1 is offline
Platinum member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,571
Default

Streaming Hi-Def (1080p) consumes about 5 megabits per second of bandwidth. 4K (2160p) consumes about 20 megabit per second of bandwidth. We used to stream Netflix Hi-Def to 2 separate TVs with a 10 megabit per second download service. Regardless, some of the streaming services, such as Netflix, are adaptive; they will adjust the resolution downward to match the available bandwidth so there aren't any buffering delays. I suspect most people pay for more internet bandwidth than they really need. Webpages with lots of graphics may load perceptively faster with a higher bandwidth service. I now have 40 megabits per second download from CenturyLink (it hits a sweet spot in their pricing at $35 per month) and it is more than sufficient and I used to move around 50 gigabyte tarballs for work.

There are several VoIP services available. We have used Ooma for several years and have been happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
It sounds like you are only buying internet from CenturyLink. Do you use some kind of VOIP for phone? If so, how is that working? Is 80 mbps fast enough to stream television?

Thanks.

Last edited by biker1; 12-05-2018 at 11:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-06-2018, 07:55 AM
ureout ureout is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
It sounds like you are only buying internet from CenturyLink. Do you use some kind of VOIP for phone? If so, how is that working? Is 80 mbps fast enough to stream television?

Thanks.
yes just internet
I haven't had a home phone for 5 yrs just a cell phone..and yes able to stream with no problem
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-06-2018, 08:05 AM
bob47 bob47 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Santiago
Posts: 151
Default

Very helpful answers. Thank you all.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-06-2018, 09:04 AM
tophcfa tophcfa is offline
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: The Berkshires of Western Massachusetts and the Villages
Posts: 544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
Very helpful answers. Thank you all.
Agree, very helpful. Going to look into getting the service with flat rate for life.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-07-2018, 09:55 AM
leftyf leftyf is offline
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 845
Default

We did the upgrade a couple of months ago and it really helped, no more buffering during a movie.
Reply With Quote
Antenna
  #10  
Old 12-07-2018, 02:31 PM
papasetti82 papasetti82 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 38
Default Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajulian View Post
I have been streaming content using Roku and PlayStation Vue for the past 2 years using CenturyLinks 25 MBPS service. No problems with buffering. I also have an Over the Air antenna in my attic and get all broadcast Networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS) also as well as in my streaming package. Streaming will work well between 15 and 20 Mbps.
What kind of antenna? Thanks
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
called, century, service, upgrade, link

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 AM.